Join Early Retirement Today

First holiday season retired
Old 12-29-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

First holiday season retired

I normally take time off at year-end and typically about this time, with New Years fast approaching and the time off winding down, I feel that sinking feeling in my gut (i.e. next week at this time I will be back at w*rk). Especially with heading into busy season for me. I wished I could stop time and somehow savor it more. It feels amazing not to have to worry about that now and next week is just the start of a new year and nothing more!
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 05:38 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pretty much felt the same thing.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:30 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to always work the last week of the year and have some managers take off, as the workload was clearly less and thus closer to a vacation like setting.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:19 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

For 25 years I had to ask a small group of office staff to work over the Christmas-New Year's break (with compensation); but, as their manager, I always came in as well and did non-essential, end of year clean up work in my files, etc. It was for moral support. I got to know them better during this time because we had a lot of close interaction throughout the week and shared a nice feeling of being a bit like work warriors, holding down the fort, while everyone else was off.

Now that I'm retired (for 5 years) I enjoy the week but it doesn't feel much different from the rest of the 51 each year.
That said, my wife is happy that we finally get to spend that week together.

-BB
Old 12-29-2020, 07:45 AM   #5

Good point, OP. Itís my first holiday season retired too. Iím already screwing up which day of the week it is, so I guess Iím getting the hang of this. Happy New Year and hereís to not checking the calendar to see what day of the week any holiday falls on!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My company always shut down for the holidays so we had a minimum of 7 straight days off (usually, more like 9 or 10 depending how week-ends fell.) Only occasionally did I have to venture into the plant over the holidays. (I did go in one Christmas day as I KNEW no production was in progress and I could take background air-samples. It turned out to be a very good set of data for future comparison.)

I still recall the luxurious feeling of having that much time to myself and family. It made me long for FIRE which I diligently worked toward. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:45 AM   #7

I know that feeling. It will eventually go away along with the anxious Monday mornings when you wake up.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote