Fix or buy new car

I'm heartened to hear the majority of answers to this question, as just yesterday, DH and I went out and paid $9K for a 2017 car with under 20K miles on it, to replace the 2000 Honda Civic I've been driving. We took it in to be inspected (the old car) and it was going to be $1250 to keep it on the road. I almost went for keeping the old one on the road, but ... it's very rusty, and something else was sure to go soon, so ... I hope we made the right decision. We feel we got a great deal on the newer car, so that's something. :)

Considerations new versus slightly used,

- are you getting the latest safety features
This is sort of a double edged sword. Newer cars all seem to have fundamental controls operated off a touch screen. A simple task like tuning a new radio station requires you to pull off the road and get out the owner's manual. :LOL:

Regarding new vs used...don't overlook the fact that most models of any particular vehicle remain the same for a few years with little or no changes with the only difference being the year it rolled off the assembly line.

For example, the Toyota Rav line from 2013 to 2018 were all the same, and if you were looking for one last year a gently used 2014 would have cost a fraction of a new 2018 model and had exactly the same technology:

https://www.carsdirect.com/toyota/rav4

Are you parking in the ocean? How are that many parts rusting out in that little amount of time? I live in PA, drive 80 miles/day 5 days a week and have no where near the issues you're having in terms of rust.

See another mechanic/get another quote. Your mechanic is fleecing you.

Totally agree.

And disagree with all that say buy new.
Let someone else pay the big depreciation & buy slightly used.

And let someone else mistreat a car before you buy it. Who wins in the long run? I always say buy new, if you can afford it. If you dont have the pocket, then you should buy used.

And let someone else mistreat a car before you buy it. Who wins in the long run? I always say buy new, if you can afford it.

That's my thought too. Every used car for sale is being sold for a reason; either there is something wrong with it or the seller thinks something is about to go wrong with it. The only time I got a good used car was when I bought my father's car from my my mother after he passed away, and of course I knew the history on that one.

In our case the cost of new car depreciation is mitigated somewhat because we keep them until they're almost junk, and indeed something is about to go wrong.

That's my thought too. Every used car for sale is being sold for a reason; either there is something wrong with it or the seller thinks something is about to go wrong with it. The only time I got a good used car was when I bought my father's car from my my mother after he passed away, and of course I knew the history on that one.

Lots of good used cars, and your thoughts are not consistent with what I have observed. Primarily due to the trends in leasing and rentals in recent years and the existence of services such as Carfax.

Last new car purchased in 1989. Since then have purchased 13 used vehicles, only one had an undisclosed issue (discovered six months after purchase ) but the price was a steal so even with the $1K issue, it gave me 9 years and 80K miles of reliable use at a bargain cost. I suspect the dealer was aware of the issue hence the bargain price

Another was a Craiglist vehicle to allow son to commute to college. Again, the price was a steal even accounting for dropping $2K immediately (and only one I had inspected prior to purchase). We've had it now for 2.5 years and likely could sell it for every penny we've put into it outside normal maintenance items.

Many of these vehicles had cosmetic shortcomings, but I look at vehicles as a tool and don't get very concerned over minor dents/dings. Concentrate on safety and reliability and functionality factors.

Of course, if one is not willing to assume any risk..........

Last purchase was a 2017 Hyundia Santa Fe with 30K miles purchased in Jan 2018. Rental car. MSRP about $33K not include shipping , my cost $23K

NB: Try not to be in a hurry and never fall in love with a vehicle. Some of these vehicles took six months of being on the lookout for the vehicle that met my criteria at a good price. Only the last one was shopping with some time constraints as a deer had totaled my wife's car.

Last edited:
Lots of good used cars, and your thoughts are not consistent with what I have observed. Primarily due to the trends in leasing and rentals in recent years and the existence of services such as Carfax.

Oh yes, I know, and you're almost certainly quite right. But any psychologist will tell you that personal experience trumps empirical evidence in almost every case. That's why someone who refuses to wear seat belts justifies it by knowing that "my good friend Karen's fourth cousin twice removed didn't wear a seat belt when her car overturned and she was ejected into a big pile of hay and didn't get a scratch" even when the overwhelming evidence is that people ejected in wrecks fare far worse (on average) than people who stay in the car, seat belts or not.

Likewise, every used car that I ever bought had a host of maintenance issues starting within months. So don't bother me with any facts, my mind is made up.:D

Every used car for sale is being sold for a reason; either there is something wrong with it or the seller thinks something is about to go wrong with it.

Many cars are sold simply because owners want a newer car. This is often based on the mileage of the car, or because the car has one or two small issues the owner doesn't want to fix.

We have purchased many used cars over the years, all of which have been at least 15 years old. Sure, there's usually a few items that need fixed, maybe new tires or brakes, but you'll run into that with new cars as well.

I purchased my current 2000 VW Jetta back in Jan 2017 for $1900. I've spent a bit over $3000 on various parts since then (tires, brakes, new struts, various small items like door locks and tune up items). My total cost for 2.5 years is only $5200. Barring an accident or major failure, I see no reason why I can't drive it a few more years.

We bought my wife's 2004 VW Jetta in Oct 2018 for $3500. Other than tires and a new windshield we've hardly done anything to it. Total cost so far is $4900 include the car, taxes, licensing, and tires.

My daughter bought a 2003 VW Jetta in August 2016 for $3900. Her total cost so far is $5800, including the car, tires, brakes, and misc items.

Every car is going to need maintenance or basic wear items (tires, brakes, struts, etc.) at some point, whether you bought it new or used. I would never waste money on a vehicle that will lose value before I can even pay it off. That's a bad investment.

every used car that I ever bought had a host of maintenance issues starting within months. So don't bother me with any facts, my mind is made up.:D

How long did you go before you had maintenance issues with your NEW car? I've never owned a new car (never will), so I'm genuinely curious how much longer it lasted before needing similar work.

How long did you go before you had maintenance issues with your NEW car? I've never owned a new car (never will), so I'm genuinely curious how much longer it lasted before needing similar work.

Well, the first new car we bought was a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera and I think the first unscheduled maintenance was a heater/A/C fan motor that went bad about four years after we bought it. We kept that car for 14 years.

Oh, and there was a 1985 Chevy 4WD pickup truck that I'd bought new. I think the first unscheduled maintenance on that was an A/C compressor at about 10 years. I kept that truck for 18 years.

Admittedly there can be some luck involved (lemon cars do exist) but even when the new cars got older there wasn't the continuing maintenance issues that I'd experienced with used cars.

Well, the first new car we bought was a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera and I think the first unscheduled maintenance was a heater/A/C fan motor that went bad about four years after we bought it. We kept that car for 14 years.

Oh, and there was a 1985 Chevy 4WD pickup truck that I'd bought new. I think the first unscheduled maintenance on that was an A/C compressor at about 10 years. I kept that truck for 18 years.

Admittedly there can be some luck involved (lemon cars do exist) but even when the new cars got older there wasn't the continuing maintenance issues that I'd experienced with used cars.

so that's a "host of maintenance issues" that manifested themselves within "months"?

:LOL: :facepalm:

That's my thought too. Every used car for sale is being sold for a reason; either there is something wrong with it or the seller thinks something is about to go wrong with it.

That's not always the case. Some people just want a new car every 3 or 4 years and are willing to pay a premium for that.

In case anyone is wondering, the latest car sales business model is large dealers selling off lease vehicles, typically with less than 50,000 miles on them and three years old or less. Look at a dealer like EchoPark which has many locations and sells the cars for a non-negotiable (fixed) price that is less than Kelley BB.

https://www.echopark.com/?keyword=e...MIyM3Kt6e_4gIVybrACh3i7AehEAAYASAAEgLxS_D_BwE

Recently, I remember hearing that in the U.S., there were more new cars leased than sold in recent years (2018 I believe).

In any event, dealers are auctioning off lease turn ins (the cars are actually owned by a third party finance company) and focusing on new car sales. They are paid to sell the leases.

Last edited:
the first new car we bought was a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera and I think the first unscheduled maintenance was a heater/A/C fan motor that went bad about four years after we bought it. We kept that car for 14 years.

That's not a bad record. I suppose it makes sense if you value low maintenance over total cost. Personally, I would rather save the money and make a few repairs each year. We've always paid cash and have never had a car payment.

My wife's last car was a 1997 Jetta. Total cost for the car and all repairs was $9,000. She had it over 8 years until it was totaled in an accident.

My daughters last car was a 1996 Ford Taurus. Total cost for the car and all repairs was $4000. She kept it 10 years.

Wife's previous car was a 1986 Jetta. Total cost $9800 over 11 years.

My previous car was a 1976 Rabbit. My total cost for the car and all repairs was $8900. I bought it in 1988 for $850, then owned it 29 years before selling it for $3500 in 2017!

I bought my first “car” new in 1978 – a Jeep CJ5. I then bought a new Jeep CJ7 in 1984. I still have both and they still run like new. The Army taught me the value of owning tools and doing my own preventive maintenance – I’ve never had a mechanical problem that couldn’t be fixed over a weekend in my driveway while lying on a sheet of cardboard. I believe Financial Independence only comes from first having a healthy skill set for Self Sufficiency, a good set of hand tools, and a willingness to get a whole lot of grease and dirt under the fingernails (and the occasional bruised knuckle).

On second motor? Only 126K miles on original? And need more repairs-- time to buy a Toyota!

HondoBob, older cars are a lot easier to work on. On newer cars/trucks, it nearly impossible to change the oil. With all the electronics and complicated parts, and with little to no room, you're kind of hostage to a mechanic.

Back
Top Bottom