Florida living

We’ve had a place near Tampa and now have a condo just south of Boca Raton. I much prefer the east coast of Florida because of nicer water and coastline and I believe the traffic isn’t as bad as the west coast. When we decided back in 2016 to move closer to the water, we drove around the west coast to check it out. Traffic in Sarasota and Bradenton scared me away. Tampa and Pasco county were much worse than before we originally bought there.
We now have a condo in a sleepy little town on the A1A with uncrowded beaches. However the public beaches down the road are busy. We love our little place and can watch the ocean from our living room or balcony, or go down to it whenever we like.

Sounds like heaven! We lived in a beachfront condo in CA for many years, and there is definitely something to be said for being able to easily access the beach and watch the ocean. I’m curious why some beaches aren’t crowded while others are mobbed. One concern I have about a beach condo is that I don’t want to be surrounded by tourists all the time or live in a building that is a ghost town for a good chunk of the year. Does your building have a good sense of community among the residents?

While you're in North port, check out Venice. Nice downtown. Close beaches.

Nice small town community feel. Not very touristy and its close to Siesta key and Sarasota(great culture) JMHO

Definitely plan to check out Venice, Englewood, and Cape Coral.

Thanks Badger. We have somewhat of a head start on understanding heat, humidity, bugs and hurricanes. I grew up on the Gulf Coast of a Southern state and lived in Houston for 10 years before moving to CA. Still, it’s been a long time since I’ve lived in a humid climate. When everyone else in Palm Springs where we live now is sitting inside in the A/C because it’s 115-120 outside, DH and I are happily in the pool.

The evacuation issue does concern me. I recall reading about people running out of gas on the highways leading out of Houston when Hurricane Harvey was on the way. Do most people deal with this by evacuating early, flying out before the storm, or:confused:

Since I have lived here there have been 14 major hurricanes going through Florida that either made landfall on the state or had winds blowing through at a Category 3 level (up to 129 mph winds) or higher. You will know days in advance that would give you time to "bug out" to safer locations west assuming you get to the north border via I-75 or I-95. Usually 2 days before landfall the roads get crowded and often 1 day before the interstates are like parking lots. In 1992 when Andrew was coming I was able to get the last motel room in Tallahassee for my parents and they had a miserable time driving the 180 miles from Jacksonville. It took them about 6 hours. If they had to drive from south Florida they would had to ride out the 165 mph hurricane in their car. Stay or leave is your choice but if you wait too long the choice is made for you.

Cheers!

Since I have lived here there have been 14 major hurricanes going through Florida that either made landfall on the state or had winds blowing through at a Category 3 level (up to 129 mph winds) or higher. You will know days in advance that would give you time to "bug out" to safer locations west assuming you get to the north border via I-75 or I-95. Usually 2 days before landfall the roads get crowded and often 1 day before the interstates are like parking lots.

We have been here for Irma and for Ian. We evacuated for Irma and sheltered in place for Ian. Both were experiences I really never want to have again, so this year I am going to try to plan a month + long road trip north during the worst of the season (Sept mostly). We'll see how that goes and whether we like it or not. It's hot anyways so why not get outta dodge for a bit and enjoy some cooler temps maybe in the mountains...we're retired! :D

At some point in time, DW and I will be looking to move closer to our recently married daughter. They bought a house in Coral Springs on the East Coast, but Coral Springs is a little too busy for my liking.

On our last drive down to see them, we took a side trip off I-95 to look around Port St Lucie and again in Cocoa (not Beach, just inland). The pace is much more to my liking.

Looking for your first hand experiences in the area just to the north of Palm Beach, where the pace of life seems a little slower. We'd be about 2 hours drive into Coral Springs which would suit us fine.

It will be interesting to see how you adjust from a very hot dry area to a very hot humid area.

I haven't heard much lately about the long term fallout from the collapse of that Surfside condo building. I assume that many similarly located structures of the same vintage might have the same problems. That doesn't mean they will fall down but perhaps be forced to deal with major structural repairs meaning large assessments.

In the long run, i.e. decades from now, I think Florida is facing many livability problems. Future livability is also part of the reason we moved away from Phoenix to a cooler climate even though I don't expect to live to the age where the Valley of the Sun will be in serious decline.

I haven't heard much lately about the long term fallout from the collapse of that Surfside condo building. I assume that many similarly located structures of the same vintage might have the same problems. That doesn't mean they will fall down but perhaps be forced to deal with major structural repairs meaning large assessments.

New updates to FL Statute 718 affecting high rise condos (3 stories or more) require a series of inspections and mandatory funding of reserves for structural issues.

We have been here for Irma and for Ian. We evacuated for Irma and sheltered in place for Ian. Both were experiences I really never want to have again, so this year I am going to try to plan a month + long road trip north during the worst of the season (Sept mostly). We'll see how that goes and whether we like it or not. It's hot anyways so why not get outta dodge for a bit and enjoy some cooler temps maybe in the mountains...we're retired! :D

Good plan!

It will be interesting to see how you adjust from a very hot dry area to a very hot humid area.

Yes it will be. I spent the first 30 years of my life in a very hot, humid climate, but have been away from it for 32 years.

New updates to FL Statute 718 affecting high rise condos (3 stories or more) require a series of inspections and mandatory funding of reserves for structural issues.

I’m guessing it might be prudent if we buy a condo to choose a newer building. The uncertainty of major costs to refurb an older building is scary to me.

They are still sorting through it but the current interpretation is that this new law will require full funding of reserves for all reserve items for all condominium associations... even roofs, painting, paving, lawn irrigation systems and the like... and even for associations that are all 2 stories or less. It's gonna be a mess unless they fix it.... and this in a red state that allegedly advocates for less government. :facepalm:

Our association is in relatively good shape and a one-time special assessment to get to full reserves would be less than $1,000/door but there are other associations where it is likely to be abig nut.

They are still sorting through it but the current interpretation is that this new law will require full funding of reserves for all reserve items for all condominium associations... even roofs, painting, paving, lawn irrigation systems and the like... and even for associations that are all 2 stories or less. It's gonna be a mess unless they fix it.... and this in a red state that allegedly advocates for less government. :facepalm:

Our association is in relatively good shape and a one-time special assessment to get to full reserves would be less than $1,000/door but there are other associations where it is likely to be abig nut.

Our association handled this by getting a loan to cover the reserves. Our quarterly fees went up of course, but it resolved the need for a large assessment.

It's gonna be a mess unless they fix it.... and this in a red state that allegedly advocates for less government. :facepalm:

Much of this is in response to the Surfside Towers collapse in 2021. And in many places it is probably a good thing.

The law may be useful for luring insurers back into the state, and perhaps - eventually - have some positive impact upon insurance costs. I can understand "fine tuning" but would not want to risk another Surfside. Edit - to be clear - due to the loss of human life.

Last edited:
I lived in Florida in the 80s, near the Palm Beach County/Broward County line. My grandfather lived in Tampa, and we visited frequently. I owned land in north center FL too. It is a really interesting state!

There's nothing monolithic about it. Despite certain pundits trying to paint it a color, you have to look beyond that. There's a lot of history of state to state movements that have an impact on the local culture. So moving to Florida really depends on where you move to.

My opinions below:

Southeast: Ft. Lauderdale to Miami has a very strong immigrant influence, especially in Miami. It also has a lot of state-to-state residents from the Northeast, which can give it a NY vibe. Pompano up to Melbourne has a more relaxed vibe, still with strong NE state transfers.

Southwest: Sarasota and Venice is where all my family from the Midwest go. Like others said, man it is crowded. Tampa has a more multicultural vibe, as mentioned upstream.

Orlando: Disney

Central north of Orlando: in the sticks. You better like rural living. Gainesville is the college town.

Villages (NE of Tampa): its own little world

Big Bend (N of Tampa): some of the strongest southern culture I've ever seen. I live in NC, but I am not joking that the people I met in this area are even more old time southern than many southern states. I visited a friend's family in Crystal River and I still have not had such authentic corn bread made in a cast iron skillet since.

Panhandle: military influence, mix and match. State government.

NE (Jax): closer to SC/NC than anywhere else in culture. Maybe too cold for some.

Last edited:
Our association handled this by getting a loan to cover the reserves. Our quarterly fees went up of course, but it resolved the need for a large assessment.

That may be a possibility, but we have a bunch of old fuddy-duddys who abhor debt so I suspect that it will be a special assessment.

Much of this is in response to the Surfside Towers collapse in 2021. And in many places it is probably a good thing.

I agree that in many places that is probably a good thing because so many association buried their heads in the sand on real issues because of the stunning cost of fixing the problems. The problem is that they are painting with a very wide brush in the fixes.

Luckily we redid our roofs last year which pretty much drained our reserves. Our plan was to increase reserve assessments gradually to get to full reserves in 10 years, but if this requirement isn't changed then we'll have a fairly modest but annoying special assessment to get to full reserves.

I lived in Florida in the 80s, near the Palm Beach County/Broward County line. My grandfather lived in Tampa, and we visited frequently. I owned land in north center FL too. It is a really interesting state!

There's nothing monolithic about it. Despite certain pundits trying to paint it a color, you have to look beyond that. There's a lot of history of state to state movements that have an impact on the local culture. So moving to Florida really depends on where you move to.

My opinions below:

Southeast: Ft. Lauderdale to Miami has a very strong immigrant influence, especially in Miami. It also has a lot of state-to-state residents from the Northeast, which can give it a NY vibe. Pompano up to Melbourne has a more relaxed vibe, still with strong NE state transfers.

Southwest: Sarasota and Venice is where all my family from the Midwest go. Like others said, man it is crowded. Tampa has a more multicultural vibe, as mentioned upstream.

Central north of Orlando: in the sticks. You better like rural living. Gainesville is the college town.

Big Bend (N of Tampa): some of the strongest southern culture I've ever seen. I live in NC, but I am not joking that the people I met in this area are even more old time southern than many southern states. I visited a friend's family in Crystal River and I still have not had such authentic corn bread made in a cast iron skillet since.

NE (Jax): closer to SC/NC than anywhere else in culture. Maybe too cold for some.
I would say that is a pretty fair description even today in 2023. I would add that tourist invasion tremendously increases the already crowded areas during the winter, spring break, and summer leaving a little time to enjoy in October/November and April/May when most have gone home. Once you get to the central and southern areas you have to like crowded areas and traffic pretty much year round.

Cheers!

JoeWras, I have spent the past year exploring up and down the east coast of Florida, and your thumbnails feel absolutely on point to me.

Florida is a huge, diverse state - it's just that certain parts of the diversity spectrum make a lot of noise that, in turn, makes the news elsewhere.

My strong impression, for which I am unable to cite any studies or statistics, is that income diversity is wider and wilder across Florida than in the general U.S. The rich are richer, the poor are poorer, and there are quite a lot of both.

My opinions below:

I would say that is a pretty fair description even today in 2023. I would add that tourist invasion tremendously increases the already crowded areas during the winter, spring break, and summer leaving a little time to enjoy in October/November and April/May when most have gone home. Once you get to the central and southern areas you have to like crowded areas and traffic pretty much year round.

Cheers!

From my indirect research so far, I agree this seems accurate now. I’m hoping traffic isn’t as bad in summer but not sure if that’s the case. The traffic in Palm Springs is really bad during January through early April, but not bad at all the rest of the year. I’m thinking if we can find a town/community we enjoy spending a lot of time in, traffic will be less of an issue. We rarely go more than 5 miles from our home here because there isn’t much we need that’s further away, making traffic a non-issue most of the time.

"The Season," as it is called, is impressive.

The change in traffic, resource usage, and general population attitude is like nothing I ever experienced.

I found the traffic increase to be only one aspect. The part I didn't like as a year round resident was the load on general entertainment venues. Things like movie theaters, restaurants and golf courses.

In the summer, you walk right up and go to the golf course. Fee $20 (1986), in the winter, hard to get a tee time, and it was $45.

Restaurants were particularly vexing during The Season. There was a reason people went at 4pm, and it wasn't because everyone was old (Seinfeld episode).

My advice still stands: if you move to an area in FL, especially those south of Orlando, make sure to first stay a month in The Season, and then a month in the summer. See if you can deal with either.

I moved from FL due to a job transfer. As a young single man, I also found the dating culture to be difficult due to the transitional nature of the population. This may not apply to the 60+ dating scene. 20-somethings my age either arrived to escape something (old boyfriends, drugs, etc.), or arrived due to a job offer and were there only temporarily, and hence were indifferent to a relationship. Turns out I was one of the temporary ones too!

One more thing: if you like to drive away to see different parts of the country or region, it is difficult if you are the bottom of the peninsula. It takes much of a day just to get the latitude of horizontal movement. People underestimate just how long the peninsula is!

BTW, I still have a soft spot in my heart for Florida. I'd consider going back.

The only thing that really scares me right now is all this talk of insurance. Back in the 80s, home insurance rates were trivial. Not anymore.

Florida isn't the tropical mecca of the 50s-60s anymore. I lived in Orlando before Disney came and it was just a sleepy little town in central Florida. A great place to live. At that time it had a population of about 250,000. Now it is more than 2 million. That doesn't account for all the tourists throughout the year. The crowds are much the same as you go to the major cities (and smaller towns) further south.
I enjoy living in Florida but I live in a place far away from those areas and crowds but at the beach with all the amenities and features that are important to me. I would rarely go anywhere south of St Augustine.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I am a life long Iowa resident and I love to visit Florida during our winter time. It is probably my favorite travel state because I love the ocean. So I have enjoyed reading this thread, thank you.

Our current favorite get away spot is Key West and we are heading back April 3. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom