Gloomy weather and ER

I run or walk virtually every day. I admit to generally playing hooky and staying indoors when there's heavy precipitation, be it rain or snow. One of my favorite outdoor activities, though, is running in my nearby county park when it is snowing. If I can get out there before the roads are too slick it is downright heaven.
A long time ago I came to the brilliant ;) realization that living in the Northeast means roughly 5 months of cold weather. Moving is not an option, so I decided to adopt some stoicism and find ways to enjoy being outdoors year-round.
On the days when it is just too damned inhospitable, I take care of indoor errands.

You're in Southern California, right? How many gloomy days do you really have? If being cooped up for a few days has really got you in a depression and you can't find other indoor social activities, you seriously might want to talk to your doctor about depression. I'm not making light of it because it's a real thing. You've already done a lot by purposefully locating in about the optimal place for winter and sunlight, and you're still having issues. That doesn't seem right.

If I'm wrong about the weather, please correct me.

We don't have that many gloomy days in So Cal, but the last month or so has been mostly gloomy, which is unusual for us for Feb/March.

And yes, I do have occasional bouts of depression and I know that weather is a trigger for me. That's why I moved here in the 80's and generally avoid going anywhere cold.

I would not enjoy ER in a cold climate. If forced to choose, I would choose to work in a year round sunny environment rather than move somewhere where it's cold for months on end each year. Even when I have one really rainy and windy day here, I feel like I'm being cheated out of a day of my ER experience. It's not enough to not be working...I want to be enjoying my favorite outdoor activities too. I know, I'm greedy! I want it all.

I run, walk, bike or hike outside every day. I might miss 5 days a year. There’s almost always a clear window in every bad day to get out there. Just have to dress accordingly. I can see how it could be depressing to be cooped up indoors with nothing to do.

Well, we're getting into mid-March, the weather should start getting better soon.

I know I have it better than most living in Southern California, but the last few weeks have been cold, windy and gloomy.

Today it rained all day. It's in the 50's and windy so no chance of doing anything outdoors. Normally I would have gone swimming in the morning then played pickleball in the afternoon. Then after a few hours rest I would walk downtown and get some dinner.

For those of you who live in cold weather climates, how does the gloomy weather affect your ER? For me it seems to completely knock me off track and makes me feel anxious and down. I can't imagine going through a cold winter for months on end waiting for the warm weather and sunshine to come back.

It wasn't so bad earlier in the week. It was sunny and warm. Yesterday and last night it was raining and we had a power failure. You should do some indoor activities such as music, photo/video editing, or reading. Look at it this way, if you weren't in ER, you would be fighting traffic every morning in the "gloomy weather". According to my weather station, we have only had 3.4" of rain this year. That's nothing to complain about.

I would not enjoy ER in a cold climate. If forced to choose, I would choose to work in a year round sunny environment rather than move somewhere where it's cold for months on end each year. Even when I have one really rainy and windy day here, I feel like I'm being cheated out of a day of my ER experience. It's not enough to not be working...I want to be enjoying my favorite outdoor activities too. I know, I'm greedy! I want it all.

I don't care how cold or rainy it is when I'm making music with my friends or cuddling on the couch with my GF. Of course, we actively embrace the nice weather when it's here, but when it's not we move on and enjoy plenty of other activities.

Don't put all your happiness eggs in one basket...

We don't have that many gloomy days in So Cal, but the last month or so has been mostly gloomy, which is unusual for us for Feb/March.

And yes, I do have occasional bouts of depression and I know that weather is a trigger for me. That's why I moved here in the 80's and generally avoid going anywhere cold.

Have you heard of seasonal affective disorder? https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...fective-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20364651

I was diagnosed with it. For me it's worse some year then others, feels like depression(cause it is), treatable without meds. Check out SAD therapy lights, consider visiting a tanning bed, or get your butt someplace sunny.

Like others, I grew up in a colder climate and "gloomy" weather does not bother me. I save the bulk of my vacation for the end of the year, and unless it is below zero and icy being outdoors is not an issue.

DW and I have gone hiking in 30 degree weather, walks in cool rain, even pushing through 12" of snow. We bundle up and it is fun. Even if we get chilly, the reward when we finish of sipping hot chocolate or tea as we thaw out feels wonderful.

And if we have to stay inside... well, we still like each other's company so we have each other. :cool:

Have you heard of seasonal affective disorder? https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...fective-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20364651

I was diagnosed with it. For me it's worse some year then others, feels like depression(cause it is), treatable without meds. Check out SAD therapy lights, consider visiting a tanning bed, or get your butt someplace sunny.

Yup, that sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. As soon as the sun comes back out I feel great again. I have a personal heater in my office that uses reflective heat which is supposed to simulate the feeling of sunshine on my skin. It helps a little, but nothing like the return of warm sunny weather.

My favorite place to vacation is a little area on the Big Island called the Kohala Coast. It has year round 84/72 weather and less than 10 inches of rain per year. I have yet to have a bad weather day in all the times we've visited. Every time we go there I get excited to buy a home and move there. But for various practical reasons we've never pulled the plug.

Whenever DH talks about wanting to go to a cold weather vacation spot, I just dread the thought and do what I can to talk him out of it. I'm not a skier or snow activity person.

Another tip for cold, gloomy days. Sometimes I close lots of the blinds and go around and light all the cute lamps I have in my house. Makes me feel better!!

I know I have it better than most living in Southern California, but the last few weeks have been cold, windy and gloomy.

Today it rained all day. It's in the 50's and windy so no chance of doing anything outdoors. Normally I would have gone swimming in the morning then played pickleball in the afternoon. Then after a few hours rest I would walk downtown and get some dinner.

For those of you who live in cold weather climates, how does the gloomy weather affect your ER? For me it seems to completely knock me off track and makes me feel anxious and down. I can't imagine going through a cold winter for months on end waiting for the warm weather and sunshine to come back.

Grew up west of Mt. St. Helen's. Gray is my favorite color. Was 26 years before I truly realized Yakima WA wasn't a suburb of New York City.

heh heh heh - Today the Wife got an email pic of our usual rental(VRBO) on the Texas Gulf this time of year. They got ka bopped by the hurricane and won't be ready till fall. I think my default drug of choice is U Tube videos of other places. :rolleyes: :greetings10:

It's not cold here in New Orleans today, 71F in fact at the moment. But gosh is it gloomy! Outside it's heavily overcast, almost as dark as night, with 80% chance of rain and looks like it's going to rain cats and dogs any moment.

I LOVE IT!!! Changes in weather are so much fun, as long as there is no resulting property damage around town. Gloomy, rainy weather not only adds variety to our lives, but also makes the grass green. Heavy rain is like a shower, washing the neighborhood and cars so when it is sunny again, everything looks so clean and shiny.

When we go out to lunch today, we'll probably choose someplace close by and avoid driving in any flood prone areas in town, just in case. And tonight, if it is still raining, the comforting, gentle sounds of heavy rain will send me right off to a deep sleep.

WOW! You just described my perfect day! A rainy day in New Orleans sounds like heaven. These are the sorts of days I'm dreaming of, still 4 years from FI. Wierdly, it's the bad weather days that make me long for FI the most - snuggling in when it's cold and blustery, enjoying a fresh blanket of snow without having to worry about driving in it. And the rain. Enjoying every drop of beautiful, fragrant, rain. :)

WOW! You just described my perfect day! A rainy day in New Orleans sounds like heaven. These are the sorts of days I'm dreaming of, still 4 years from FI. Wierdly, it's the bad weather days that make me long for FI the most - snuggling in when it's cold and blustery, enjoying a fresh blanket of snow without having to worry about driving in it. And the rain. Enjoying every drop of beautiful, fragrant, rain. :)

It really IS heaven, to me, as long as there isn't enough flooding to cause any casualties or property damage. :D

Forecasters say that we have 100% chance of heavy thunderstorms tomorrow. :)

And welcome to the Early Retirement Forum! I just noticed that this is your very first post. :)

Last edited:
I have to ask - What's it like being retired in New Orleans? Is it expensive? Is crime an issue? We've only visited and I LOVE it, although the crime rate (at least on paper) and the property values are a deterrent to it being a contender for our next home. But if I ever win mega-millions, I'm buying a mansion in the Garden District! LOL! I'd happily spend my days just wandering those beautiful streets.

It really IS heaven, to me, as long as there isn't enough flooding to cause any casualties or property damage. :D

Forecasters say that we have 100% chance of heavy thunderstorms tomorrow. :)

And welcome to the Early Retirement Forum! I just noticed that this is your very first post. :)

And thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here! :)

Me whining! We have 5-6 mths of horrible weather. Feb $& Mar are the worst. We go from 2+ ft of snow to solid ice to 2' mud then repeat for 2 mths ! -20f to 50f and repeat ! Horrible and really getting to me. I hit the ground at least 10 times a winter on the ice and the grounds not getting any softer ! I'm on a huge kick to sell everything that makes me work or has maintenance and would really like to sell my tractor but can't because of the deep snow and the nice county employee that puts an additional 4' at the start of my drive several times every winter. I keep threatening DW I'm putting 40 inch tires on the truck so I don't have to plow out the 1/4 mile driveway. 3 big storms this week already and more coming in the next cpl days. I actually enjoy playing in the snow and am always outside but dang am I tired of shoveling, clearing and plowing it! We always have wind so can't keep it from drifting in bad. Again, me whining!

Hyper,
Dr. BtB recommends snowbird therapy. Taken once monthly, Jan-March, in FL, TX or AZ. Daily outdoor exercise recommended for best results. Use caution: highly addictive.

Hyper,
Dr. BtB recommends snowbird therapy. Taken once monthly, Jan-March, in FL, TX or AZ. Daily outdoor exercise recommended for best results. Use caution: highly addictive.

This does work.......however, I might have to extend my snowbirding through at least mid-April next year, based on the weather forecast for the first 2 weeks of April here this year (Michigan).:(

Winter storm watch here for tomorrow (Friday) night. Expected low Saturday night/Sunday morning near zero or slightly below zero.

I heard that this weather pattern is holding and April looks to be well below average. Just like the stock market, patterns can change.

I personally think we way underestimate the affect of long winters in the northern part of the US. As I close in on 50, it is literally and figuratively "killing" me..along with time..ha ha.

This does work.......however, I might have to extend my snowbirding through at least mid-April next year, based on the weather forecast for the first 2 weeks of April here this year (Michigan).:(

This is my sixth winter snowbirding from Michigan. Every year it seems as though I stay in FL a bit longer. I used to go back in March or April, but hated the cold and occasional snowstorm plus everything looking all gray & brown with the vestiges of winter (post-snow) dirt on everything. Yuck.

I'm now snowbirding from early-Nov to mid-May. :dance:

omni

I personally think we way underestimate the affect of long winters in the northern part of the US. As I close in on 50, it is literally and figuratively "killing" me..along with time..ha ha.

I've known for some time that the long winters here in Michigan were not very good for my health, but I put up with them while I was working. I always knew that once I retired, we would definitely escape to the south for the coldest months, and we have (for 8 winters now). We usually come back in mid-March, which is really too early, but the grandkids (and a few other things) usually pull us back then. One of these years, though, we are going to stay a month longer.........

This is my sixth winter snowbirding from Michigan. Every year it seems as though I stay in FL a bit longer. I used to go back in March or April, but hated the cold and occasional snowstorm plus everything looking all gray & brown with the vestiges of winter (post-snow) dirt on everything. Yuck.

I'm now snowbirding from early-Nov to mid-May. :dance:

omni

I think you have it about right, Omni. Where in Florida do you go? We are probably going to give the Crystal River area a try next winter (first time we've stayed there). I like to fish from my kayak, so I'm hoping there is some good fishing in that area.

Mid May is the perfect time to return to the Midwest. April 1 is way to early. I’m leaving 90 degree Arizona to 40 degree Illinois. It will be quite a shock.

I lived in Syracuse NY for a few years long ago. It's one of, if not "the" snowiest cities in America, due to the lake effect.

Since I was going to w*rk in a windowless building early in the morning, and leaving late in the evening every day, and the overcast was pretty constant, there were literally months when I never saw the sun. So that was a bit depressing for me.

But I had several friends who were natives of the area and they would never even consider leaving. Everyone owned at least one snowmobile, and they all hunted and fished.

That was long before the internet, and the city population is about the same today as it was then. The people I knew could never have afforded to snowbird, and it didn't bother them a bit.

Mid May is the perfect time to return to the Midwest. April 1 is way to early. I’m leaving 90 degree Arizona to 40 degree Illinois. It will be quite a shock.

Sounds too familiar... We left left the midwest winter in Feb. and returned in March. Very nice to be away, but not too fun to be back weatherwise.

I don't think winter bothered me as much while w*rking. My commute was fairly short and straightforward except on the worst snow days. I'd leave in the dark and return from w*rk in the dark many winter days, but I was just glad to be home.

Now in retirement, I noticed that I really dragged on cloudy, gloomy days. I wonder if I too have SAD, perhaps formerly covered up by the haze of w*rk.

It was wonderful to be outside and in the sun in southern AZ and NM every day of our trip. Although it was still cool enough for a light jacket and maybe a sweater, we loved the sun. Perfect temperature for hiking.

During our trip, we decided to focus most of our travel budget to escaping somewhere sunny during the winter. Nov and Dec is tolerable because of the holidays, but Jan-March, even Apr, are very tough.

Back
Top Bottom