Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #2281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Play twice a week with pretty much a regular same group of about 16-20 golfers. We started out pretty cautious just after the courses opened back up but have noticed lately we are getting a little lax in the social distancing area, especially on the greens. Some courses now are starting to encourage two to a cart as well. If there is an open air veranda or porch we will calculate the winner/earnings and have a beer and do pretty good with the distancing. Overall we need to do better though.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 04:54 AM   #2282
Recycles dryer sheets

Golf newbie here with questions, apologies if it’s long-winded..

So a few years ago was invited to golf with a neighbor, had none of my own so using his old clubs. Topped the ball, sent it left and right, into the trees into the long grass.

Much laughter from the neighbor who thoroughly enjoyed my frustration. Felt a bit silly and was ready to just call it good and just watch him. After a few holes of laughter though he threw me a bone with a “here try one of my clubs”

Blind hole obscured by tall trees, hit it over them and straight onto the green, looked at neighbor and shrugged, nervous laugh and mouthed a ”fluke, no worries I still suck” Then it happened again and again rest of the round and confidence went from frustration to happiness. Still by no means perfect but a decent start point to explore further. Short game and bunkers were fine it was just driving off that was the unknown.

Never bothered again until Top Golf and thought I’d go back to my usual “village idiot” style but again was more accurate than I expected. Understand TG with the Surf’n’Turf and a beer is not real world.

But as a newly minted retiree with more time and patience I want to explore this brave new (to me) golf world but would love to know the exact science why you can be terrible with some clubs but not with others. What is the difference between them? Also how do you go about selecting the right clubs for you? What to look for when choosing.

Also don’t want to pay the same as a used Mercedes for the clubs if they are likely to not be used every single day. Bought a full carbon bicycle over 15 years ago which I still ride to this day in order to justify the ridiculous expense in my head. Price per ride etc. Would like to not repeat.. [emoji51]

Any assistance, hints or guidance on purchase process would be greatly appreciated.

DD4L
Old 06-30-2020, 05:42 AM   #2283

Oh boy how to unpack this ? As a long time golf nut I would first suggest a few lessons to get the fundamentals down if you really want to enjoy the game. As far as used clubs, depending on your physical characteristics (if you are pretty much normal size) I would look for some used clubs on Craigs List or E-bay. Should be able to pick up a decent used set for less than $300. And nobody ever conquers this game and it is always a work in progress. Invariably there are always those one or two shots each round that keep you coming back for more. It is a great game where you can meet new people, socialize, improve your skill and drink beer all at the same time and convince yourself or DW that you are getting exercise. And these days it is a good sport that is pretty much corona proof as well.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:37 AM   #2284
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You want to look for game-improvement or super game-improvement clubs. But why not find out what your neighbor had and buy a used set online? Or at least price them out. Or see if he is due for new clubs and wants to sell them to you. You should be able to get a very good set of game-improvement or super game-improvement clubs for around $1,000.

Then find a good 2 or 3 day golf school near you. They'll get you all set with the basics.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #2285
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Then find a good 2 or 3 day golf school near you. They'll get you all set with the basics.
+1. Even for those who the golf swing seems to come to you somewhat naturally, sound fundamentals will make all your future golf experiences SO much better. OTOH you will battle bad habits if you get off to a bad start...golf can be exasperating enough done well.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #2286
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD4L View Post
Golf newbie here with questions, apologies if it’s long-winded..
the ben Hogan book is really good - I refer back to it often
Old 06-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #2287
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
As good as the Hogan book is, I wonder if a newbie could self diagnose? IMO a newbie would benefit much more from a well qualified onlooker to establish good swing fundamentals. It’s very hard to “see” what your doing wrong yourself.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #2288

Quote:

+1 Very good description and diagrams showing the basics from the grip thru full swing, I use it all the time. I might be the exception but I never had much luck with instructors, I guess I'm the type that prefers to use a good instruction book and work it out on the range.

There are so many variables that go into making a set of clubs, shaft flex, grip size, weight, .... As suggested find out what clubs your neighbor has and start there. It's important to start with a good grip, there are golf grip training aids that you can buy and stick on an old club that will give you a good feel for what a correct grip is like.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #2289
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
+1 Very good description and diagrams showing the basics from the grip thru full swing, I use it all the time. I might be the exception but I never had much luck with instructors, I guess I'm the type that prefers to use a good instruction book and work it out on the range.

There are so many variables that go into making a set of clubs, shaft flex, grip size, weight, .... As suggested find out what clubs your neighbor has and start there. It's important to start with a good grip, there are golf grip training aids that you can buy and stick on an old club that will give you a good feel for what a correct grip is like.

Thanks for all the help. I agree about the book route, I tend to learn better that way too.

Much appreciated everyone [emoji120]
Old 06-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #2290
Full time employment: Posting here.

If the old clubs were really old it's no wonder you hit the new ones better. Way more forgiveness in a new set of irons compared to a 20 year old set. If the set he gave you was only 4-5 years old, the difference is minimal and maybe the newer set just fit you better shaft wise.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #2291
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for all the help. I agree about the book route, I tend to learn better that way too.

Much appreciated everyone [emoji120]
Then I'd suggest you take video of yourself, easy to do with any smartphone. You can't "see" what you're doing otherwise - what you think you're doing may be substantially different than actual. Using a book works a lot better for someone with an established swing, just tweaking their fundamentals. I can't imagine a newbie developing good fundamentals themselves, I've seen too many obviously troubled DIY swings. Best of luck.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:12 AM   #2292
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
If the old clubs were really old it's no wonder you hit the new ones better. Way more forgiveness in a new set of irons compared to a 20 year old set. If the set he gave you was only 4-5 years old, the difference is minimal and maybe the newer set just fit you better shaft wise.

Was thinking along the same lines, maybe he also used them introducing his kids to the game too.. loads of divet opportunities and bashed up clubs? Meaning they would be loose and less accurate can only guess as that game was 20 years ago.

Beyond all that I would like to clean sheet though and understand why it’s beneficial to choose a specific club manufacturer over another (greater rigidity and accuracy? ) Wouldn’t like the salesman to make the decision for me (commission related)

Also assuming the lighter weight more expensive clubs means less fatigue and loss of composure of swing as the course progresses but maybe work to counter that by back and core strength exercise & yoga (chair pose, up dog, side bends etc) as well as teardrop muscle exercise for the knee stress.

Is there also a rule of thumb measurement process on optimum club length too? Like maybe measurement of shoulder to fingertip and waist to heel formula?

Just would like to select the correct tool for the job before working on the me side of things while understanding this is a booming business where advantages are paid for. Re: my carbon bike financial excursion [emoji605][emoji848] [emoji383]

Any information appreciated [emoji16]
Old 07-01-2020, 06:09 AM   #2293
Give me a forum ...

If there is a PGA Store or Golf Galaxy near you, you can go and get "fitted" for clubs. They'll have you hit balls and use a monitor to assess your swing and then recommend clubs that suit your swing.

Most clubs are of similar length. The important thing is stiffness of the shaft. Steel shafts or graphite? Heads are more different between irons than woods.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #2294
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
As good as the Hogan book is, I wonder if a newbie could self diagnose? IMO a newbie would benefit much more from a well qualified onlooker to establish good swing fundamentals. It’s very hard to “see” what your doing wrong yourself.
the book has an entire chapter on the grip, which is the most important part of the game, IMO
Old 07-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #2295
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If there is a PGA Store or Golf Galaxy near you, you can go and get "fitted" for clubs. They'll have you hit balls and use a monitor to assess your swing and then recommend clubs that suit your swing.

Most clubs are of similar length. The important thing is stiffness of the shaft. Steel shafts or graphite? Heads are more different between irons than woods.

Yes! This is exactly what we need, for both myself and DW. There look to be a few equivalent places in London we can go try out, social distancing permitting...

Thanks so much [emoji120]
Old 07-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #2296
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
the book has an entire chapter on the grip, which is the most important part of the game, IMO

Agree to both options I think. DW is talking about lessons from the offset which I tend to agree with but I’m more of a read the book then trial and error type...then admit some kind of defeat and take the lessons if I struggle.

Cheap options first then work up...[emoji848]

DD4L
Old 07-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #2297
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Then I'd suggest you take video of yourself, easy to do with any smartphone. You can't "see" what you're doing otherwise - what you think you're doing may be substantially different than actual. Using a book works a lot better for someone with an established swing, just tweaking their fundamentals. I can't imagine a newbie developing good fundamentals themselves, I've seen too many obviously troubled DIY swings. Best of luck.

Thanks Midpack [emoji120] DW did actually suggest videoing me at the Top Golf but I was self conscious for some oddball reason. Think mainly due to the strong dislike for Social Media..

Also time for some eBay book scouring methinks [emoji432]
Old 07-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #2298

Quote:
Beyond all that I would like to clean sheet though and understand why it’s beneficial to choose a specific club manufacturer over another (greater rigidity and accuracy? ) Wouldn’t like the salesman to make the decision for me (commission related)

Also assuming the lighter weight more expensive clubs means less fatigue and loss of composure of swing as the course progresses but maybe work to counter that by back and core strength exercise & yoga (chair pose, up dog, side bends etc) as well as teardrop muscle exercise for the knee stress.

Is there also a rule of thumb measurement process on optimum club length too? Like maybe measurement of shoulder to fingertip and waist to heel formula?
All the top manufacturers make quality clubs, they all offer a very similar selection of shafts and grips so the big difference comes down to the club head they use. I'd run away from anyone who tells you that a particular brand is better than another, it comes down to personal preference. For someone starting out 'game improvement irons' would probably be the best way to go, you can miss the center of the clubface and still get decent results. Very little difference IMO in a manufacturers clubs from one year to the next, you can save money buying last years models and still get a quality set of clubs. Take a look at this Golf Digest article on some of the new clubs that fall in the game improvement category. https://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/...rovement-irons
Old 07-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #2299
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
All the top manufacturers make quality clubs, they all offer a very similar selection of shafts and grips so the big difference comes down to the club head they use. I'd run away from anyone who tells you that a particular brand is better than another, it comes down to personal preference. For someone starting out 'game improvement irons' would probably be the best way to go, you can miss the center of the clubface and still get decent results. Very little difference IMO in a manufacturers clubs from one year to the next, you can save money buying last years models and still get a quality set of clubs. Take a look at this Golf Digest article on some of the new clubs that fall in the game improvement category. https://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/...rovement-irons

So when you say a different club head are you referring to weight difference? Was thinking about that, does extra weight there increased centripetal force translating to less effort required on your drive for further distance?

I know...still a newbie...just focus on hitting the damn thing first [emoji23]
Old 07-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #2300
Give me a forum ...

It's not just weight but more importantly where the weight is on the clubhead... most are along the perimeter of the sole of the clubhead... thickness of the clubhead.. and some of the new clubheads are designed with slots so the clubface acts sort of like a trampoline when struck.

I don't begin to try to understand all that technical stuff... I just try to focus on hitting the damn ball.

Closed Thread