Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #2321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Due to covid restrictions our group has implemented a rule that you can drop out of any bunker, just no closer to the hole. I haven't seen a rake on a golf course for probably the last six months or so. Everybody else doing pretty much the same ?
Don’t like it. If no rakes and you’re in a footprint or some other “damage”, just place it in a normal lie IN THE BUNKER.

That’s what we do at courses that don’t supply rakes. One course puts a rake on every cart. I keep forgetting to take the rake with me and often leave it in the bunker. Duh.

But on a larger issue, it seems almost impossible to transmit the virus on a rake, or a flagstick for that matter, sitting outside in the sunshine and breeze. I understand the symbolism and go along with it, but don’t think it has any real life benefit.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #2322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Due to covid restrictions our group has implemented a rule that you can drop out of any bunker, just no closer to the hole. I haven't seen a rake on a golf course for probably the last six months or so. Everybody else doing pretty much the same ?
Yes, a couple weeks ago we play at a club that had a local rule that all bunkers were a free drop outside the bunker, no closer to the hole.

Of course, you can always opt to play it as it lies if you wish.... and some bunkers are so hard packed that it is feasible to just putt out of them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 07-19-2020, 08:44 AM   #2323
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nope, and I wouldn’t agree as others have noted. Most courses I’ve played have adopted - “Please lift, clean, place, and foot rake afterwards“ or something similar. Our league has adopted a rule you can improve your lie in bunkers in case you land in a footprint or hard pan area, but you have to play from the bunker as close to where the ball landed as possible - e.g. no moving it back from a lip/overhang. Obviously you don’t have to deal with a “fried egg” for now, but you still have to hit from the trap. Dropping outside the bunker is way too generous IMO. I haven’t see a rake in months either, but all the traps in the half dozen courses I’ve played lately had been raked presumably by grounds crew at some frequency (daily?).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 07-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #2324
Give me a forum ...

Shared this with a couple golf buddies today, it’s 10 years old but I thought I’d post here too in case you haven’t seen it already. One of the great “lessons” ever, listen to exactly what’s said (Miller whining), how little time Jack takes to read a 102’ putt with severe contours, and the amount of slope as Jack walks back up. You might have to watch it twice to fully appreciate it. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/tUPPnVo0CII

Old 07-19-2020, 07:09 PM   #2325
Give me a forum ...

I'd seen that before. Priceless. Some people just have a gift.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #2326
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jack’s the putting Jedi! Sort of like this one. Vader goes golfing. Lol!

https://youtu.be/81fwEmP2CKY
Old 08-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #2327
Give me a forum ...

Here's another example of a stupid rule of golf:
Quote:
After battling for 17 holes in the Round of 16 at the U.S. Amateur, golfer Segundo Oliva Pinto saw his second shot land in a bunker on the 18th hole. That’s where his bid for the most prestigious amateur title in golf would end.

Tied with Tyler Strafaci going into the final hole at Bandon Dunes, Oliva Pinto ended up automatically losing the 18th hole when his caddie made the grave error of hopping into the bunker and touching the sand, apparently to test its texture.

As it turns out, you can’t do that. ...
https://sports.yahoo.com/us-amateur-...015644514.html

While I agree that the caddie shouldn't have done it, so what if the caddie touched the sand if the caddie never communicated the result to the player! Isolate the caddie from the player for that shot to ensure that the player doesn't benefit from the caddie's indiscretion.

I think if I was the opponent and absent that penalty the guy would have won I would intentionally sign an incorrect scorecard to be disqualified and give him the win.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #2328
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Here's another example of a stupid rule of golf:

https://sports.yahoo.com/us-amateur-...015644514.html

While I agree that the caddie shouldn't have done it, so what if the caddie touched the sand if the caddie never communicated the result to the player! Isolate the caddie from the player for that shot to ensure that the player doesn't benefit from the caddie's indiscretion.

I think if I was the opponent and absent that penalty the guy would have won I would intentionally sign an incorrect scorecard to be disqualified and give him the win.
I might agree if the caddy had simply stepped into the trap, but when he reached down with his hand and played with the sand (clearly shown in the video, which the caddy tried to deny WHY?) - what other purpose would he have for doing that than to share with the player? We don't know if they talked to each other or not, and golf rules shouldn't require officials to split hairs like that. The caddy broke a rule that has been in place for at least 55 years. Horrible the player lost, but golf has always been a sport where you'd better know and follow the rules. YMMV

I've always thought it was a little odd in that the player can see the condition of the sand, and easily test when they dig in with their feet. But again, the rule about any other test of the sand has been in place for generations and any player and caddy at that level should know better.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #2329
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I might agree if the caddy had simply stepped into the trap, but when he reached down with his hand and played with the sand (clearly shown in the video, which the caddy tried to deny WHY?) -
two shot penalty or loss of hole in match play
Old 08-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #2330
Give me a forum ...

From the press accounts it is pretty clear that the caddie had not talked to the player... the player was up looking at the green when the caddie was in the trap and was caught touching the sand.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #2331
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
two shot penalty or loss of hole in match play
Since it was match play it was loss of hole. I suspect that they didn't even play out the hole from what I read since the match was all square after 17.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #2332
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From the press accounts it is pretty clear that the caddie had not talked to the player... the player was up looking at the green when the caddie was in the trap and was caught touching the sand.
Then why did he do it? And why did he try to deny it? Clearly dishonest...

If a player wants to petition and get support for changing a rule that's fine. But asking for an exception when you've broken a rule is not part of golf, especially if you lie about your actions. I hope that never changes.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #2333
Give me a forum ...

Dunno. Could have just been a moment of stupidity/not thinking and then realizing it wasn't allowed and denying it so his player wasn't unfairly penalized.... could be that he was really testing the sand intending to relay his thoughts to the player.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #2334
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dunno. Could have just been a moment of stupidity/not thinking and then realizing it wasn't allowed and denying it so his player wasn't unfairly penalized.... could be that he was really testing the sand intending to relay his thoughts to the player.
Not to be disrespectful, but where in the rules does it say it's OK for the caddie to test the sand as long as he/she doesn't share with the player.

Very unfortunate, but the rules are clear, and it looks like Pinto accepted the ruling - as any player should. That's golf.
Quote:
Doing so violated the USGA's Rule 12.2b, which outlines restrictions on touching the sand in a bunker and notes a player can't "deliberately touch sand in the bunker with his or her hand, a club or rake or any other object in an effort to test the condition of the surface to obtain information for the next stroke."

Rule 10.3c states that a player is responsible for his caddie's actions.

Afterward, Pinto said he was shocked when he was called over by the rules official and notified of what happened. Asked if his caddie explained to him what happened, Pinto told Golf Channel: "He didn't say anything. But at this point it doesn't really matter. What happened, happened. He can say anything, but it won't change what happened."

Old 08-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #2335
Give me a forum ...

I was shocked by this penalty at the time, I had no idea that could happen, or what the penalty would be...

Old 08-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #2336

Just asking for trouble using a caddie that doesn't know the game/rules. Always felt the 'testing the soil' rule had a lot of gray area. You can be certain that all pros are getting a feel for or testing the soil when they take a stance in a bunker. Paul Azinger who was one of the best bunker players admitted to it during a bunker lesson he gave on a Golf Channel program.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #2337
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of golf, after a 10+ year layoff (had both hips replaced during that time span), I am going back to playing golf.

I hit a 1/2 bucket of balls Wednesday and seemed to still have a swing.

I have been playing since I was a 12 year old caddie in 1955 with moderate skill. My best year, handicap wise, was in the 1980's when I held on to a solid 10. I have belonged to private clubs in California and in Texas, but no more memberships.

Next Tuesday a friend and I tee off at 9:20 AM at a local course in Conroe, Texas (Panorama Golf Club: https://www.panoramagctx.com/). My clubs are pretty old, but not as old as me! It should be fun, but it will be HOT (90's F).
Old 08-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #2338
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not to be disrespectful, but where in the rules does it say it's OK for the caddie to test the sand as long as he/she doesn't share with the player. ...
Where did I say that it was OK for the caddie to test the sand? In fact, I said just the opposite... "I agree that the caddie shouldn't have done it".

So you get an F for reading comprehension.

I just said that it is a stupid rule.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #2339
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where did I say that it was OK for the caddie to test the sand? In fact, I said just the opposite... "I agree that the caddie shouldn't have done it".

So you get an F for reading comprehension.

I just said that it is a stupid rule.
Sorry, it’s a simple disagreement and I wasn’t trying to be contentious. My point was it doesn’t make any difference if he talked to the player as you noted. I don’t think it’s a stupid rule, it’s not new or obscure.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #2340

My old BagBoy hand cart broke a couple months ago, and when I called them about a replacement part they said it’s so old they don’t carry them anymore. So, I thought “AHA!” An opportunity to buy a new cart! After looking at the BagBoy & Click Gear carts I liked, none were in stock, and with no info on when they would be. So, I splurged and got a battery powered one (MGI Navigator) and I’m loving it. I’d recommend this one if you’re looking. And, there’s a sale which includes accessories.

IMG_2845.jpg
Closed Thread