Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put my name in for next years Master's ticket lottery and got my annual rejection email this month. Anyone else have better luck?

My long time golf buddy walked off the course today!!

Back story: He has always been one of those guys who shows up 5 minutes before tee time, plays in his runners, and shoots 82 - 84 every single time...no warmup, no practicing. Wind, no wind...first round of the year, last round, it didn't matter, he was consistent no matter what the conditions. He is the person that introduced me to golf 25 years ago (we used to work together).

Then he built a house about 8 years ago and since then has hardly played due to all the work involved...maybe 15 - 20 times in those 8 years, the majority were scramble tournaments. The lack of playing has affected his feel and short game. And he gained 50 pounds. And he doesn't work out any more. And he's 8 years older.

All of those factors have caused him to go from 82 - 84 to struggling to break 100. So he bought new clubs and a $500 driver this year. They didn't help.

Today, he shot 56 on the front 9, then made a "generous" 11 on the 10th hole. He looked at us and said "Sorry guys, I'm done"...and he walked off the course. I was with 2 other friends, so it wasn't a big of a deal as it could have been. Anyway, we finished the round and I got home to an email saying that he's taking a break from golf for a while.

if you don't like the way you're playing you need to change the way you're practicing

if you don't like the way you're playing you need to change the way you're practicing

He's never practiced a day in his life :LOL:

Of course, you can get by with that if you play 40 times a year and are happy with low to mid 80's. But, take 8 years off and things aren't quite the same any more.

You get out of it, what you put into it. It is a most difficult and frustrating game that no one has ever perfected and that why it is so much fun.

Jeesh. I had an 84 today and was happy as a clam.

I shot 89 with a pair of 8's...also happy as a clam. But, I don't practice or warmup (not even the putting green) and have only taken 5 or 6 lessons in my life.

I had two 8's also.... and 4... that's 4 putts that lipped the cup but stayed out.... sunk a few long putts though... that helped.

My long time golf buddy walked off the course today!!

Today, he shot 56 on the front 9, then made a "generous" 11 on the 10th hole. He looked at us and said "Sorry guys, I'm done"...and he walked off the course. I was with 2 other friends, so it wasn't a big of a deal as it could have been. Anyway, we finished the round and I got home to an email saying that he's taking a break from golf for a while.

Maybe a beer or two would help him enjoy himself. :D

Strangely, I've had a couple bad rounds going and have found the beer cart and found a cold brewski to be a magical elixir to improve my scoring. Including just a week ago... horrible on the front and a quite decent score on the back.

Strangely, I've had a couple bad rounds going and have found the beer cart and found a cold brewski to be a magical elixir to improve my scoring. Including just a week ago... horrible on the front and a quite decent score on the back.

Golf overall is suffering a bit, so I make sure to do my part in supporting the course by buying a beer or two from the beverage cart. :cool:

I think that a couple drinks can help some golfers...especially the ones who tense up and think too much. Give 'em a drink or two and some of them will loosen up and swing better.

Played behind a guy last year who walked off the course 3 times in a single round - he has anger management problems combined with an inflated sense of his own abilities at golf. Walked off on #1 (!) after some shots that would have led to at least an 8. A while later, we saw that he had rejoined the group, but he walked off again on #10, then he was with the group again by #14, and did not finish with him. Don't know how his buddies put up with him.

I think I'll try that on the last round in our league, since the score won't count for anything. On second thought, I haven't been playing very well (woods :mad:) so maybe I should try it now. Trying to bring a game back after a 15 year layoff continues to be humbling...

I played with a guy in the league a few weeks ago who killed off two beers between #10 and #14. He was scoring and at the end he shared all our scores, and told us he shot a 37. I wish I'd kept my mouth shut, but I quietly blurted out "really?" He said, check for me. I said no, but he said he'd welcome a double check. I added twice and got 47. So beer works one way or another. He thanked me and said that would have been embarrassing to turn in, and there haven't been any hard feelings since (whew).

Just sharing a related story, NOT suggesting anything about pb4uski!

Last edited:
Golf is meant to be fun and I refuse to put up with assholes of any color while playing the game. Alcohol in excess can turn an otherwise pleasant golfer into a major *******.

I played with a guy in the league a few weeks ago who killed off two beers between #10 and #14. He was scoring and at the end he shared all our scores, and told us he shot a 37. I wish I'd kept my mouth shut, but I quietly blurted out "really?" He said, check for me. I said no, but he said he'd welcome a double check. I added twice and got 47. So beer works one way or another. He thanked me and said that would have been embarrassing to turn in, and there haven't been any hard feelings since (whew).

Even after a couple of beers it's hard to imagine how any golfer couldn't sense if they were playing par or bogey golf over 9 holes. Maybe he also knocked down a few brews before the round.

I can't remember the last time I drank a beer on the golf course. Particularly this time of the year. It's been so hot, I have only been playing 9 holes and calling it a day. Only played twice this week.

Whitney Oaks

Played at Whitney Oaks near Sacramento, CA this weekend, while visiting the area to see a concert. It's a great track amongst the canyons, live oaks & boulders; definitely target golf, I lost two balls. I was paired with three very pleasant guys, all locals who know the course, which helped quite a bit. The pleasant company was a nice reminder that most golfers are friendly and likeable folks.

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 12
A lot of rain yesterday so I decided to move up a tee box today for a change of pace. Ended up shooting 71, first time under par since 2006.:dance: I've been struggling to break 80 this year from the tips (it is NOT a long course), maybe I should move up a little more often.:facepalm:

Has anyone been to a "Top Golf" venue and if so, did you like it, thoughts and comments welcome.

Has anyone been to a "Top Golf" venue and if so, did you like it, thoughts and comments welcome.

Yes, DD and DSIL wanted to go and play mini-golf there a couple of years ago. I wasn't impressed - it definitely caters to younger folks who like a lot of noise and "excitement" while they are fooling around with golf clubs. They have lots of games that can be played with golf balls and the driving range, but it is NOT a place to go if you are seriously trying to practice. But I'm just an old fart who likes golf courses because they are quiet, among other things.

Played yesterday...had a great back 9 other than 1 hole, lol. 7 pars, 1 birdie, and 1 quadruple bogey :facepalm::LOL: Not bad for a 14 handicap... :cool:

Anyway, all of the holes other than the par 3's had a large "hole" about 2" in diameter (with a flag) about halfway down the fairway. A lone golfer had joined myself and my friend and he said they were for foot golf, people kick a soccer ball from the tee box to the larger hole. I've never seen it played and have no idea how popular it is.

I have been 3 times... once in Austin and a couple times in Tampa. I like it... better with a small group... like a cross between a golf driving range but with the social aspects of bowling. I like their TopChip game.

I think it is great that Top Golf is generating interest in the game from millenials.

Yes, DD and DSIL wanted to go and play mini-golf there a couple of years ago. I wasn't impressed - it definitely caters to younger folks who like a lot of noise and "excitement" while they are fooling around with golf clubs. They have lots of games that can be played with golf balls and the driving range, but it is NOT a place to go if you are seriously trying to practice. But I'm just an old fart who likes golf courses because they are quiet, among other things.

Agree on the last part :LOL: ... actually, make that the next to last part. Not a good place to practice unless you are there on the off hours... besides, you are hitting off of mats and I don't like practicing off of mats.

A lot of rain yesterday so I decided to move up a tee box today for a change of pace. Ended up shooting 71, first time under par since 2006.:dance: I've been struggling to break 80 this year from the tips (it is NOT a long course), maybe I should move up a little more often.:facepalm:

I moved up 3-4 years ago. Most everyone I play with are older so I play from the same tees they like. It does make scoring better and I generally have more fun from the short tees. If I'm just playing 9 by myself, I generally play from the longer regular tees just to mix it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom