Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got on the Board of CC and, of course, took on Golf Committee. Our Member Guest was scheduled shortly after. Great guy promoting, field filled. 1st day Scramble, 2nd day best ball. I ask about handicapping. Pro says we just do 100% for best ball, take 50% of total handicap for scramble. I say wait, USGA has guidelines for Scramble, 35% low, 15% high. (I took some crap from players for that one). They also have recommendation for best ball, 90% for men, 95% women, with handicaps reduced a further 10% if difference in team members handicap is more than 8 strokes. We changed to do per USGA, except for the additional 10%. Worked out good, except that top three teams all would have been subject to the 8 stroke rule, further bringing the field together. USGA knows.

at my old club, the member guest was best ball the first day then TOTAL SCORE the second day - talk about brutal...

at my current club, the member guest is a 3 day points (6 teams per flight with a shootout at the end) match tournament using 90% caps, if the cap difference is more than 10 shots the high handicapper gets shaved to 10 :eek:

Third lesson two days ago. Making progress on the range (I think :rolleyes:) but, still having trouble with consistency during a round. On the range, I can actually draw the ball (a new experience for me), especially well with short irons (P-7). Think I need more practice to ingrain it.

In the meantime, my HI has gone up 3 strokes. :facepalm:

Maybe it's one step forward, two steps back...at least for a while.

Lots of playing and a bit of practice since my third lesson. Also had my fourth lesson yesterday morning, right before a round. Seems the lessons are helping with consistency...and scoring. :D Three of last four rounds <=80; 5 of last 12 <=80.

All lessons thusfar have been on full swing, with primary focus on face alignment. I also now seem to have more control with longer clubs (>7 iron), which had been a problem for me. Still have a lot to work on but, I'm encouraged. 🏌️⛳

OK.... best score ever today at my home course.... shot an 80 (10 over par 70)... a great day since my home course handicap is 23 so I was 13 under net. :dance:

It was the one week a year that our Thursday traveling group plays my home course.... we have a CTP on the shortest par 3 on the front and the back... my tee shot on the front CTP was about 9 inches from the cup and beat out a friend who was a foot from the cup and normally would be a sure winner! :dance: At the 19th hole he said that he had already spent his winnings on lunch! :D

I'm skeptical that I found any "magic".... I just happened to have a good day... 2 over on the front and 8 over on the back. 8 over is no big deal... I do that or better frequently... but 2 over for the front is a record for me.

Great news, Huston55 and pb4uski! I was just talking to a golf buddy today about how much more fun the game is when one is playing well.

OK.... best score ever today at my home course.... shot an 80 (10 over par 70)... a great day since my home course handicap is 23 so I was 13 under net. :dance:

It was the one week a year that our Thursday traveling group plays my home course.... we have a CTP on the shortest par 3 on the front and the back... my tee shot on the front CTP was about 9 inches from the cup and beat out a friend who was a foot from the cup and normally would be a sure winner! :dance: At the 19th hole he said that he had already spent his winnings on lunch! :D

I'm skeptical that I found any "magic".... I just happened to have a good day... 2 over on the front and 8 over on the back. 8 over is no big deal... I do that or better frequently... but 2 over for the front is a record for me.

Congrats. The golf gods can take it away just as quick. Has plenty of times with me over the years. Ha.

Perhaps even better days are ahead. The good days give us hope.

Congrats Huston55 and pb4uski! After my best rounds at 87-88 seven times this year, somehow out of the blue I managed a 79 this week (37-42)? I knew I was doing well and just waiting for the wheels to come off, but I only had one truly bad hole a double bogey #17. I've been taking lessons, making the suggested changes to my full swing, and I chipped/putted better than ever (no 3-putts).

What a strange, humbling game, but I'm hooked. Too bad Winter will come and I'll probably forget everything I've (re)learned this year, and start all over clueless next Spring.

I've learned a lot on https://thesandtrap.com too.

Last edited:
Some days everything clicks, your driving, iron, short game and putting and some days it feels like you've never held a club in your hands. Most days though are somewhere in-between. The main thing about the silly game and above all, enjoy it and have fun.

congrats! you are no longer a 23 :dance:

we had second night of fall league last night - we pwned our opponents 9.5 to .5

they only got .5 because we split the last hole due to weather

Congrats Pack & BH!

Seems like a few lessons is helping a couple of us. When I told my instructor about my recent low score, he seemed more excited than I was. ;)

Today was the first time I've ever chipped a ball when on the green. My approach shot rolled up a couple of inches from the edge of the green and was about 35 feet from the pin that was tucked around the curve of the green. With the slope, there was no way to get a putt within 6 feet unless I putted through 15-20 feet of Bermuda grass fringe. So, I pulled out the gap wedge and chipped it up to a foot for my par. Playing partners were impressed/puzzled/stunned by the play.

Just when you think you've done everything in this game, right?

Today was the first time I've ever chipped a ball when on the green. My approach shot rolled up a couple of inches from the edge of the green and was about 35 feet from the pin that was tucked around the curve of the green. With the slope, there was no way to get a putt within 6 feet unless I putted through 15-20 feet of Bermuda grass fringe. So, I pulled out the gap wedge and chipped it up to a foot for my par. Playing partners were impressed/puzzled/stunned by the play.

I've seen a few greens/pin locations like that, but I've never personally been where I couldn't putt directly on the short stuff all the way. I probably would have bladed the shot if it were me, so I would have been impressed with you too. Well done. :)

Well done JJQ!

It's hard to catch it well on a lie that tight.

Perhaps you've heard the story about Billy Casper in a situation not too dissimilar from mine today. This is from https://www.si.com/vault/2004/02/23/8208943/riviera:

My favorite hole at Riviera is the bittersweet par-3 6th. Because it has a bunker in the middle of the green, it's one of the most strategic holes in the world--if not the best loved.

During one L.A. (now Nissan) Open in the late 1960s, Billy Casper hit the front-right portion of the green, but the pin was on the back left, so the bunker was between his ball and the cup. Exasperated, Billy decided to show a nearby Tour official how he felt. Instead of trying to putt around the bunker, Billy took out his sand wedge and made a big practice swing, taking a beaver-pelt-sized divot out of the green. Glaring at the official, Billy took another, even bigger, practice swing and divot. Finally, he deftly hit his shot, barely brushing the grass.

That is funny!!! I wonder if he replaced his divots?

I'm pretty sure that if players (or their caddy) don't repair damage to greens or rake the bunkers, they will be fined by the tour.

I don't like the idea of a bunker in the middle of a green...it punishes a player for hitting a good shot. All that hole was missing was a windmill... :LOL:

It looks like the Riviera #6 green is very large judging by the relative size of the pin in the pic, so it's not unlike playing to a small/medium green. And from what I've read, players routinely chip if they land "on the green" and can't putt directly. Bet it's tough for greenskeepers to maintain.

6db4f0f1-ed13-4a67-996c-0a596b64ce65.jpg

wiki said:
The par three sixth hole is world-famous for having a bunker in the middle of the green. If a player is on the wrong side of the green, he or she will have to make a tough decision to either putt around or chip over the bunker.

Last edited:

And with the other posts after this... it takes away something that I had 'learned'.... that you cannot use an iron on the green... IOW, no chipping...

Wonder who told me that one... but, since I have not played in many years who knows the rules.... :blush:

I remember watching a couple (on TV) PGA tournaments at that course.

While a PGA player can use any club he wants in any situation, I would expect that there is a local rule for that prohibit players from chipping in most non-tournament play. Other wise, the green would be destroyed.

While a PGA player can use any club he wants in any situation, I would expect that there is a local rule for that prohibit players from chipping in most non-tournament play. Other wise, the green would be destroyed.

I've been playing for ~45 years and have never seen that listed as a local rule anywhere although I'm sure most superintendents would frown upon it. For normal play the pins are usually set in a spot where the need to chip would rarely come up. I do remember being at a PGA event many years ago and watching Paul Azinger hitting chip shots 'on' the practice green, he clipped each one cleanly and never took a divot.

if they worry about the green being destroyed don't put the pin in a spot where we have to chip on the green

Off to Bandon Dunes

I'm wrapping up everything at home before I head to the airport. We've scheduled 7 rounds over 4 days - I'll report in when I get back next weekend.

All signs are currently good - the golf game has been solid, the weather forecast is positive and, to top it off, I snagged the $100 first class upgrade that Alaska Air makes available upon online check-in.

Here's hoping I haven't jinxed myself by stating these things publicly.;)

I'm wrapping up everything at home before I head to the airport. We've scheduled 7 rounds over 4 days - I'll report in when I get back next weekend.

All signs are currently good - the golf game has been solid, the weather forecast is positive and, to top it off, I snagged the $100 first class upgrade that Alaska Air makes available upon online check-in.

Here's hoping I haven't jinxed myself by stating these things publicly.;)

Enjoy!

And, give us a report. :greetings10:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom