Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I put up with a 1.5 hour frost delay so that I could get at least one round in during March. Course was actually in amazingly good shape considering the very cool spring we've had. Today we've got rain and tomorrow we expect accumulating snow. Ah, spring.

Shot a smooth 77, 1 over on the last 13 holes after a rough start. A typical early season, low expectation round. Next time I'll expect a good score, always a mistake, and we'll see how things end up.

Off to Orlando on Friday for a bunch of golf rounds. Hopefully, my old body can handle it. Been hittin' the gym the last couple of months to get ready.:cool:

I'm not sure if anyone had posted this yet. The USGA and R&A have agreed on rule changes to take place starting in 2019. Among the new rules:

- eliminating penalty for accidentally moving ball during search
- eliminating penalty for accidentally moving ball on putting green
- eliminating penalty for hitting flagstick when putting
- relief area for dropped balls to be a fixed distance rather than club lengths
- dropping a ball from at least 1" above ground instead of shoulder height
- reduce lost ball search to 3 minutes from 5
- free relief for embedded ball anywhere on the course (except the sand)
- allowing the repair of spike marks on the green
- no penalty for accidentally touching sand in a bunker
- distance measuring devices are now allowed

Full list: Proposed changes to the Rules of Golf | Golf Channel

Interesting day today...40degrees F, with a 20 mph wind. My brother, 3 days shy of his 70th birthday, hit the 2nd hole, a par 5, in two, and sunk the eagle putt. Two holes later, on the tee, a Bald Eagle flew over our heads, only 50 feet or so above us.

I set a personal best for nine holes, 6 pars and 3 birdies for a nice crisp 33. What a day!

I've been really enjoying the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play tournament on TV.... gotta love match play... fun to watch.

Played in a 3 man scramble this weekend. Our group played just well enough Saturday to qualify for the championship flight. Improved 1 stroke today(64,63) but not good enough to finish in the money. Enjoyable weekend however with good bbq and beverages.

Played in a 3 man scramble this weekend. Our group played just well enough Saturday to qualify for the championship flight. Improved 1 stroke today(64,63) but not good enough to finish in the money. Enjoyable weekend however with good bbq and beverages.

I like scrambles. How did you handicap your teams?

I like scrambles. How did you handicap your teams?

We make our own team and enter the tourney. Ages(men) under 55 played from the regular team, age 55-69 senior tees and 70 on up from super senior tees. Women(not many) played from the ladies tees. Women and men can be on the same team, no separate flight for women teams. After the first round the teams are flighted by the team score. No handicaps involved. Handicaps are rarely used around here. Of course the way teams are flighted in events like this.....sandbagging can occur. But people cheat on handicaps too so nothing is perfect. This was a very casual tournament just to kick off the tournament season.

Enjoying watching the Masters. Kind of bummed that I can't stream it in 4k as could be done last year. First year with my 4k tv and was looking forward to it but Direct TV apparently bought exclusive rights to it this year. Still pretty in 1080 hd tho. Sergio carded a 13 on a par 5 today. Tied for the highest score ever on a hole there. Pretty embarrassing for a defending champion.

I’m enjoying watching too. Even the par 3 contest yesterday with Nicklaus’ 15 yo grandson scoring his first hole in one at Augusta with a gallery on TV. For me there isn’t a better event in sport than the back nine on Sunday afternoon at The Masters - not the Super Bowl, the World Series, the World Cup or anything else.

If you love golf, you owe it to yourself to attend The Masters in person just once. I don’t think you can appreciate the full beauty, the elevations, the atmosphere and the incredible undulations on the greens without seeing them first hand. The greens are shockingly scary. An experience you’ll never forget, and it makes watching on TV more enjoyable after you’ve seen the place. Magic.

And you don’t even have to love golf to appreciate this short video. Charming.

https://youtu.be/eA9XyWMjdyg

Last edited:
If you love golf, you owe it to yourself to attend The Masters in person just once. I don’t think you can appreciate the full beauty, the elevations, the atmosphere and the incredible undulations on the greens without seeing them first hand. The greens are shockingly scary. An experience you’ll never forget, and it makes watching on TV more enjoyable after you’ve seen the place. Magic.

I've been putting my name into the yearly Masters ticket lottery since it started, for both practice days and tournament rounds, but no luck. Sounds like the Masters is also putting their foot down on resale tickets, if you buy a ticket resale you may not know until you get to the gate if it's a valid ticket or not.

Masters tickets: Looking to buy or sell pre-owned tickets? Buyers and sellers, beware! | Golf.com

I've been lucky enough to go 6 times. All practice rounds. Won the lottery pick twice and went with others who won tickets. My first time was the last time w/o a lottery. You just showed up and paid $10. There were so many people I understand why they had to go to the lottery. Now I'm only applying to the Thurs-Sunday rounds. Would like to see a real round once, but odds are against me.

On one trip my group got there the Sunday before Master's week. We went to Tbonz Steakhouse in Augusta and low and behold Darren Clarke, Lee Westwood and Thomas Bjorn were all there. Met them at the bar as we waited on a table. They were incredibly nice.

Poor Sergio. You take a 3 on it on your way to winning one year and then on your next competitive round there you hit 5 balls in the water and take a 13. Ouch. Short defense of the Green Jacket. (In his defense, I guess he didn't actually hit any of them into the water. I was thinking on the third time he might try to hit it into the sand trap.)

Last edited:
And you don’t even have to love golf to appreciate this short video. Charming.

https://youtu.be/eA9XyWMjdyg

Awww that was sweet!
I’m from Augusta - and have been to the Masters many times. It’s always amazing to me how incredibly quiet that many people can be.

My Mom was ticket holder but she passed so no more tickets for us. Still, someone usually offers me a day - and I still jump at the chance and spend way too much in the pro shop every time!

Poor Sergio. You take a 3 on it on your way to winning one year and then on your next competitive round there you hit 5 balls in the water and take a 13. Ouch. Short defense of the Green Jacket. (In his defense, I guess he didn't actually hit any of them into the water. I was thinking on the third time he might try to hit it into the sand trap.)

Yes, very painful to watch... it seemed like 3 or 4 of the balls that ended in the water were not horrible shots and landed within a few feet of each other. On a couple of the balls that when into the water I thought that they were replays because the shots were so similar and the balls seemed to be entering the water at the same place.

Last edited:
Sergio truly had a tin cup moment but I respect how he handled it when asked by reporters. Can anyone possibly understand how he felt or what was going through his mind watching ball after ball roll off the green into the creek ? Truly a tough day for the Spaniard.

How about Tony Finau dislocating his ankle the day before, popping it back in place on the spot and then shooting a 68 first round? Unreal he could even walk that hilly course. Wonder how he feels this morning.....

Should be a great Sunday at the Masters tomorrow. Good luck to all the young turks and unfortunately looks like the old folks, Tiger and Phil have had their days in the sun. The tournament start on the back nine.

Golf Talk Tuesdays

Should be a great Sunday at the Masters tomorrow. Good luck to all the young turks and unfortunately looks like the old folks, Tiger and Phil have had their days in the sun. The tournament start on the back nine.

There is always next year, Frayne. People forget, but Jack Nicklaus in 1998 (the year after Tiger won his first Masters) at age 58 was staring at a birdie putt on 16 that could have got him within one stroke of the lead when the leaders where in trouble a few holes back. And The Golden Bear beat Tiger that year also.

+2. I’ll be glued to the TV, best golf day of the year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom