Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got 2 doz K-sigs 4 piece. Haven't tried them yet cause it's still wet and soft and any ball will stop on the greens now, so I'm playing a distance ball. Might trot out the Ksigs this week.

I just got 2 doz K-sigs 4 piece. Haven't tried them yet cause it's still wet and soft and any ball will stop on the greens now, so I'm playing a distance ball. Might trot out the Ksigs this week.

Let us know what you think after playing them.

I've played them, they are a good ball, probably one of the best values for your dollar. Unfortunately I'm not a Costco member and I believe they now limit sales to members only. At one time they were in high demand and often out of stock, not sure about now.

Where can you buy 4 piece Kirkland balls?
Costco website says that they are out of stock and other websites say that Kirklands new ball is a 3 piece plus other differences.
https://mygolfspy.com/2018-costco-signature-golf-ball/
The punch line
For bargain hungry consumers, the Wilson DUO Urethane is your absolute best-case comparison for the new K-Sig, and that’s an entirely different demographic of golfer – at least it should be (you don’t find many higher speed golfers playing it). And even then, the potential upside here is entirely dependent on whether or not the new ball offers the soft feel that powers the DUO franchise.

It’s just as likely that the new Costco Kirkland Signature could prove to be another in the list of no name, non-tour balls with a less than exciting M-M rating.

While that’s perfectly fine for a Mickey Mouse ball, with the price holding at 2/$30, the next Costco Kirkland Signature Golf Ball is shaping up to be a hell of a lot less exciting and impactful than the original.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sig...ver-Golf-Ball,-2-dozen.product.100406428.html

Last edited:
I didn't realize Kierland came out with a 3 piece ball, I tried the original 4 piece ball and liked it. The 3 piece might still be worth a try, it does have a urethane cover typically found in the higher priced balls. The 4 piece one was always in short supply as I recall, they would sellout soon after they showed up in stock, hopefully they will continue to make it.

Hmmm... This suggests there will be a 3-pc and a 4-pc ball in 2018, even though the Costco site only shows the 3-pc today. The article says the manufacturer has changed, so it's unclear if it will be the same 4-pc ball that got rave value reviews in 2017. The MGS article on the 3-pc ball wasn't favorable, but that's only based on limited info from the PGA approved ball list - maybe they're over the tips of their skis writing anything without a hands on review.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/ryan_bal...ature-golf-balls-back-3-4-piece-balls-109051/

I'm a very happy golfer today...I've taken 4 of 5 lessons from a local pro over the last few weeks and today was my first round of the year. I played a local executive course (3 par 4's and 15 par 3's) in 20 gusting to 30 mph winds. It took me 4 holes to dial in the changed distances of my new swing and then I ran off 12 consecutive holes at +3 over par which included 2 - 3 putts.

While 12 holes at +3 for some of you is normal, last year I played to about a 15 or 16 handicap, so this is a vast improvement. My next round is Monday at a regular par 72 course.

I'm a very happy golfer today...I've taken 4 of 5 lessons from a local pro over the last few weeks and today was my first round of the year. I played a local executive course (3 par 4's and 15 par 3's) in 20 gusting to 30 mph winds. It took me 4 holes to dial in the changed distances of my new swing and then I ran off 12 consecutive holes at +3 over par which included 2 - 3 putts.

While 12 holes at +3 for some of you is normal, last year I played to about a 15 or 16 handicap, so this is a vast improvement. My next round is Monday at a regular par 72 course.
Congrats, nice to get the season off to a good start. I was very pleased with lessons and subsequent results late last year, and have my first lesson of this year scheduled for Monday with the same pro. Hope my results are as good as yours.

I'm not sure I believe the chart. I keep my stats and last year I averaged 5% 3 putts with an average handicap of 6.4

I'm not sure I believe the chart. I keep my stats and last year I averaged 5% 3 putts with an average handicap of 6.4
They’re averages of course. No matter what your handicap is, you can still be stronger or weaker at short game vs full swing clubs or any aspect of the game - driving, long and short approach, long and short putting, chipping/pitching, fairway and greenside sand, trouble/recovery shots, course management, etc. Two players with the same handicap can be considerably different.

A lot depends on the course you play. I play mostly at two local courses, one course is much easier tee to green but the greens have a lot of slope and fast. The other course is much more difficult tee to green but the greens are flat and fairly easy once you get use to the speed. Adjusted score is about the same at both courses but definitely more 3 putts on the difficult greens.

They’re averages of course. No matter what your handicap is, you can still be stronger or weaker at short game vs full swing clubs or any aspect of the game - driving, long and short approach, long and short putting, chipping/pitching, fairway and greenside sand, trouble/recovery shots, course management, etc. Two players with the same handicap can be considerably different.

Agreed!!

A lot depends on the course you play. I play mostly at two local courses, one course is much easier tee to green but the greens have a lot of slope and fast. The other course is much more difficult tee to green but the greens are flat and fairly easy once you get use to the speed. Adjusted score is about the same at both courses but definitely more 3 putts on the difficult greens.

This is true, my averages were based on 80+ rounds played over 24 different courses.

So, I got the Cut Blue/Grey sample pack (a sleeve of each), and played a round; front 9 Blue, back 9 Grey. I liked both - nice feel off the driver & a bit more responsive left or right than my Nike RZNs; definitely noticed the check on the greens with long or short irons. Both are much softer than my current balls so, I didn’t putt worth a damn; left everything short. I was having a hard time choosing between them so, I went to the practice facility today to chip & putt with both, alongside range balls just to compare. Both Blue & Grey have urethane covers & seem to check up well around the green, off tight lies or fluffy lies with an open face; both also feel good off the putter; definitely softer than the range balls. The Grey is a bit lower compression & I can use the extra few yards so, I placed a bulk order for Greys today. Looking forward to playing with them.

Played my first round with Cut Grey ball & I like it. Good around the green with quite a bit of spin, and I’m a bit more used to them now so, 5 less putts this round than when I first played them. Distance off the tee & with long irons also good. It’s a great ball for $20/dozen.

Congrats, nice to get the season off to a good start. I was very pleased with lessons and subsequent results late last year, and have my first lesson of this year scheduled for Monday with the same pro. Hope my results are as good as yours.

I’m also taking a series of lessons from the same pro I used last year. We focused on green reading in the most recent lesson, and he’s teaching me AimPoint Express. So far, I like it quite a bit. But, I’m prone to like things that are data based & are a ‘system.’ Anybody else ever tried AimPoint? If so, what did you think?

I’m also taking a series of lessons from the same pro I used last year. We focused on green reading in the most recent lesson, and he’s teaching me AimPoint Express. So far, I like it quite a bit. But, I’m prone to like things that are data based & are a ‘system.’ Anybody else ever tried AimPoint? If so, what did you think?

My first 4 lessons were strictly on swing mechanics. I have 1 lesson left and we're going to work on short game. My green reading is okay but there's always room for improvement. I'm also a "feel" putter and when I'm on I'm pretty good, but when I'm off my distance control is horrible so I definitely need some structure when putting. Hopefully he can help. I'll also ask him about AimPoint.

I’ve had two practice sessions on my own & played one round using AimPoint. I am getting used to the system, although I’m still very much a beginner @ it. For me, the biggest challenge (skill to learn) is to accurately feel the slope with my feet. So far, I’m a believer; I holed a few putts yesterday that I’d have misread were it not for AimPoint.

actually had an eagle Monday, 500 yard par 5 driver, 3h made 4 footer

rare bird that eagle...

finished in true hitter fashion going bogey, bogey, triple for a smooth 44

Big_H, Congrats on the Eagle!! I played the front nine Monday, 39. Played the back nine this morning, 37. Too bad I can't play that well 18 holes in one day! 37 was my best nine ever.

Big_H, Congrats on the Eagle!! I played the front nine Monday, 39. Played the back nine this morning, 37. Too bad I can't play that well 18 holes in one day! 37 was my best nine ever.

wow that's a combined 76 - nice!

Kiawah

Just finished our annual golf trip to Kiawah Island, SC. It was another glorious trip—-fantastic weather, 5/6 rounds in four days, lots of poker & stories @ night, and watching The Players when we were just laying around the house. We played The Ocean Course, Osprey Point, Turtle Point & Cougar Point. We are not big fans of the fifth resort course (Oak Point) so, we didn’t play it. All the courses have now been refurbished and have salt resistant paspalum on them; they’re all in fantastic shape. I would highly recommend Kiawah as a destination to consider for those golfers who regularly take group golf trips. This year was our 15th and, based on the feedback from the guys, we plan to return again next year. ⛳🏌️

Attachments

• 1BD124B6-C2C9-4531-8EB3-D9402CC327E0.jpg
    1BD124B6-C2C9-4531-8EB3-D9402CC327E0.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 26
The Masters ticket lottery is now open, get your request in for 2019 practice and tournament round tickets! I'm at least 0-10 over the years, likely will get the donut again next year but put my request in anyway.

Patron Info - 2018 Masters Tournament

The Masters ticket lottery is now open, get your request in for 2019 practice and tournament round tickets! I'm at least 0-10 over the years, likely will get the donut again next year but put my request in anyway.

Patron Info - 2018 Masters Tournament
Thanks for the heads up! I applied for Fri & Sat, but I won’t get my hopes up. Having a Corp in was a perk I don’t have anymore, but at least I got to attend once. Everyone who loves golf should attend in person at least once IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom