Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 05:02 AM   #1201
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just got 2 doz K-sigs 4 piece. Haven't tried them yet cause it's still wet and soft and any ball will stop on the greens now, so I'm playing a distance ball. Might trot out the Ksigs this week.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 08:36 AM   #1202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I just got 2 doz K-sigs 4 piece. Haven't tried them yet cause it's still wet and soft and any ball will stop on the greens now, so I'm playing a distance ball. Might trot out the Ksigs this week.
Let us know what you think after playing them.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I've played them, they are a good ball, probably one of the best values for your dollar. Unfortunately I'm not a Costco member and I believe they now limit sales to members only. At one time they were in high demand and often out of stock, not sure about now.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #1204
Recycles dryer sheets

Where can you buy 4 piece Kirkland balls?
Costco website says that they are out of stock and other websites say that Kirklands new ball is a 3 piece plus other differences.
https://mygolfspy.com/2018-costco-signature-golf-ball/
Old 04-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #1205
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
Where can you buy 4 piece Kirkland balls?
Costco website says that they are out of stock and other websites say that Kirklands new ball is a 3 piece plus other differences.
https://mygolfspy.com/2018-costco-signature-golf-ball/
The punch line
Quote:
For bargain hungry consumers, the Wilson DUO Urethane is your absolute best-case comparison for the new K-Sig, and that’s an entirely different demographic of golfer – at least it should be (you don’t find many higher speed golfers playing it). And even then, the potential upside here is entirely dependent on whether or not the new ball offers the soft feel that powers the DUO franchise.

It’s just as likely that the new Costco Kirkland Signature could prove to be another in the list of no name, non-tour balls with a less than exciting M-M rating.

While that’s perfectly fine for a Mickey Mouse ball, with the price holding at 2/$30, the next Costco Kirkland Signature Golf Ball is shaping up to be a hell of a lot less exciting and impactful than the original.
https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100406428.html

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #1206

I didn't realize Kierland came out with a 3 piece ball, I tried the original 4 piece ball and liked it. The 3 piece might still be worth a try, it does have a urethane cover typically found in the higher priced balls. The 4 piece one was always in short supply as I recall, they would sellout soon after they showed up in stock, hopefully they will continue to make it.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #1207
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm... This suggests there will be a 3-pc and a 4-pc ball in 2018, even though the Costco site only shows the 3-pc today. The article says the manufacturer has changed, so it's unclear if it will be the same 4-pc ball that got rave value reviews in 2017. The MGS article on the 3-pc ball wasn't favorable, but that's only based on limited info from the PGA approved ball list - maybe they're over the tips of their skis writing anything without a hands on review.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/ryan_ball...-balls-109051/

Old 05-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #1208

I'm a very happy golfer today...I've taken 4 of 5 lessons from a local pro over the last few weeks and today was my first round of the year. I played a local executive course (3 par 4's and 15 par 3's) in 20 gusting to 30 mph winds. It took me 4 holes to dial in the changed distances of my new swing and then I ran off 12 consecutive holes at +3 over par which included 2 - 3 putts.

While 12 holes at +3 for some of you is normal, last year I played to about a 15 or 16 handicap, so this is a vast improvement. My next round is Monday at a regular par 72 course.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #1209
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I'm a very happy golfer today...I've taken 4 of 5 lessons from a local pro over the last few weeks and today was my first round of the year. I played a local executive course (3 par 4's and 15 par 3's) in 20 gusting to 30 mph winds. It took me 4 holes to dial in the changed distances of my new swing and then I ran off 12 consecutive holes at +3 over par which included 2 - 3 putts.

While 12 holes at +3 for some of you is normal, last year I played to about a 15 or 16 handicap, so this is a vast improvement. My next round is Monday at a regular par 72 course.
Congrats, nice to get the season off to a good start. I was very pleased with lessons and subsequent results late last year, and have my first lesson of this year scheduled for Monday with the same pro. Hope my results are as good as yours.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #1210

I'm not sure I believe the chart. I keep my stats and last year I averaged 5% 3 putts with an average handicap of 6.4
Old 05-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #1211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I'm not sure I believe the chart. I keep my stats and last year I averaged 5% 3 putts with an average handicap of 6.4
Theyíre averages of course. No matter what your handicap is, you can still be stronger or weaker at short game vs full swing clubs or any aspect of the game - driving, long and short approach, long and short putting, chipping/pitching, fairway and greenside sand, trouble/recovery shots, course management, etc. Two players with the same handicap can be considerably different.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #1212

A lot depends on the course you play. I play mostly at two local courses, one course is much easier tee to green but the greens have a lot of slope and fast. The other course is much more difficult tee to green but the greens are flat and fairly easy once you get use to the speed. Adjusted score is about the same at both courses but definitely more 3 putts on the difficult greens.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Theyíre averages of course. No matter what your handicap is, you can still be stronger or weaker at short game vs full swing clubs or any aspect of the game - driving, long and short approach, long and short putting, chipping/pitching, fairway and greenside sand, trouble/recovery shots, course management, etc. Two players with the same handicap can be considerably different.
Agreed!!
Old 05-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
A lot depends on the course you play. I play mostly at two local courses, one course is much easier tee to green but the greens have a lot of slope and fast. The other course is much more difficult tee to green but the greens are flat and fairly easy once you get use to the speed. Adjusted score is about the same at both courses but definitely more 3 putts on the difficult greens.
This is true, my averages were based on 80+ rounds played over 24 different courses.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
So, I got the Cut Blue/Grey sample pack (a sleeve of each), and played a round; front 9 Blue, back 9 Grey. I liked both - nice feel off the driver & a bit more responsive left or right than my Nike RZNs; definitely noticed the check on the greens with long or short irons. Both are much softer than my current balls so, I didnít putt worth a damn; left everything short. I was having a hard time choosing between them so, I went to the practice facility today to chip & putt with both, alongside range balls just to compare. Both Blue & Grey have urethane covers & seem to check up well around the green, off tight lies or fluffy lies with an open face; both also feel good off the putter; definitely softer than the range balls. The Grey is a bit lower compression & I can use the extra few yards so, I placed a bulk order for Greys today. Looking forward to playing with them.
Played my first round with Cut Grey ball & I like it. Good around the green with quite a bit of spin, and Iím a bit more used to them now so, 5 less putts this round than when I first played them. Distance off the tee & with long irons also good. Itís a great ball for $20/dozen.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Congrats, nice to get the season off to a good start. I was very pleased with lessons and subsequent results late last year, and have my first lesson of this year scheduled for Monday with the same pro. Hope my results are as good as yours.
Iím also taking a series of lessons from the same pro I used last year. We focused on green reading in the most recent lesson, and heís teaching me AimPoint Express. So far, I like it quite a bit. But, Iím prone to like things that are data based & are a Ďsystem.í Anybody else ever tried AimPoint? If so, what did you think?
Old 05-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #1217

Quote:
Iím also taking a series of lessons from the same pro I used last year. We focused on green reading in the most recent lesson, and heís teaching me AimPoint Express. So far, I like it quite a bit. But, Iím prone to like things that are data based & are a Ďsystem.í Anybody else ever tried AimPoint? If so, what did you think?
My first 4 lessons were strictly on swing mechanics. I have 1 lesson left and we're going to work on short game. My green reading is okay but there's always room for improvement. I'm also a "feel" putter and when I'm on I'm pretty good, but when I'm off my distance control is horrible so I definitely need some structure when putting. Hopefully he can help. I'll also ask him about AimPoint.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #1218

Quote:

Iíve had two practice sessions on my own & played one round using AimPoint. I am getting used to the system, although Iím still very much a beginner @ it. For me, the biggest challenge (skill to learn) is to accurately feel the slope with my feet. So far, Iím a believer; I holed a few putts yesterday that Iíd have misread were it not for AimPoint.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #1219
Give me a forum ...

actually had an eagle Monday, 500 yard par 5 driver, 3h made 4 footer

rare bird that eagle...

finished in true hitter fashion going bogey, bogey, triple for a smooth 44
Old 05-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #1220
Recycles dryer sheets

Big_H, Congrats on the Eagle!! I played the front nine Monday, 39. Played the back nine this morning, 37. Too bad I can't play that well 18 holes in one day! 37 was my best nine ever.
Closed Thread