Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't flip when I hit impact bag. I only flip when I am hitting a 2nd shot into a green that goes high and land short in a green side bunker :facepalm:.

I found out in the last lesson that I lift my arm during back swing as I turn my shoulder instead of rotating my shoulder & arms in parallel.

one of my (many) swing thoughts is to keep my hands as close to the ground as I can during the entire backswing - helps me rotate

Last edited:
Would like to hear suggestions on great places for a buddies golf trip. The group I go with normally takes 8 in the Spring, although we've taken as few as 4, and have also taken a Fall trip. We typically play 6 rounds in 4 days.

What we're looking for is:
- A resort with multiple courses; at least 4 within 20-30 mins from lodging
- Lodging: prefer a large 4/5BR house that enables cards, socializing together each evening. But, have done the condo cluster & hotel room thing too.
- Walking distance to restaurants/bars and a practice facility is a plus.

Places we've already been:
- Kiawah
- Bandon Dunes
- St. George/Mesquite (Red Rock Golf Trail)

I've had some good buddies trips at Scottsdale, Bend OR, and Banff Canada.

There is one I really like but doesn't exactly meet your criteria. Runny Y Ranch near Klamath Falls OR. Great place for golf although there is only one course.

The courses look nice but, there's a lot of long bus rides in that trip. I'm more of a <30 mins lodging to tee box kind of guy, which also makes 36/day possible.

Thx for the link BH.

I'm too cheap to pony up that kind of $$$ to play golf - maybe after I'm comfortably FIRED a few years....

one of my (many) swing thoughts is to keep my hands as close to the ground as I can during the entire backswing - helps me rotate

Yeah, it's an instruction from one of the lessons. I just need to remember to do it at all times. :facepalm:

I actually got to play yesterday (rare for this time of year) and focused on the low hands and starting the swing with the lower body. I hit some big drives.

Seems like this time of year is a good time to stock up on golf balls, many of the manufacturers drop there prices to make room for next years model. My preference is the Pro V1X but have found the other manufacturers (Callaway, Bridgestone, TaylorMade, etc) equivalent ball to be almost as good and they are usually a lot cheaper, especially this time of year. Picked up a few dozen, my frugal ER ways include my golf expenses.

Last edited:
Seems like this time of year is a good time to stock up on golf balls, many of the manufacturers drop there prices to make room for next years model. My preference is the Pro V1X but have found the other manufacturers (Callaway, Bridgestone, TaylorMade, etc) equivalent ball to be almost as good and they are usually a lot cheaper, especially this time of year. Picked up a few dozen, my frugal ER ways include my golf expenses.

If I buy balls I usually go for something under $1 a ball, preferably personalized. TGW or amazon have some good deals - I've been playing noodles, laddies and staff 50s.

I haven't bought golf balls in several years. Last Christmas, DD#2 and SIL gave me 4 dozen+ found balls. Seems SIL's father is one of those scroungers who is always picking up lost balls. So the two of them went through his collection and picked out 4 dozen like new ProV1's. One of my golf buddies was appalled by this - I thought it was wonderfully frugal gift.

With a 4 dozen head start I find enough like new ProV1's around the course to get me through the year without purchasing any more. My problem is usually more like, "Hell, why are there 30 golf balls in my bag? No wonder this sucker feels heavy."

This is one of my crazy superstitions, I will never pick up and keep a found ball. I will give it away. Reasoning, the Golf Gods will wreak havoc and great vengeance on one's game by causing two lost (OB, water or other) balls for every found ball kept.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Last edited:
I actually got to play yesterday (rare for this time of year) and focused on the low hands and starting the swing with the lower body. I hit some big drives.

I skipped my lesson and regular Tuesday & Wednesday playing groups this week getting prepared for our upcoming trip to Kauai...and also because the weather this week has sucked :( I'm not a big fan of casual water (everywhere) golf :nonono:

Staying on the south side of Kauai so, expecting great weather & several nice rounds. :dance:

I haven't played for a couple years now, but I thought I was good enough to try the ProV1. Found it not much different than other brands so I talked to our golf pro about it. He knew my game as I had taken some lessons from him and played a few rounds together. Even though I was carrying a 10 handicap, he told me my swing speed wasn't fast enough to compress the ProV1 and should not play that ball. At the time I was 77 years old and thought it too late to increase my swing speed. And then I had back surgery and had to give it up.

Last edited:
Even though I was carrying a 10 handicap, he told me my swing speed wasn't fast enough to compress the ProV1 and should not play that ball. At the time I was 77 years old and thought it too late to increase my swing speed. And then I had back surgery and had to give it up.

Did you try the Pro V1X? I found it to be much better than the regular Pro V1 for my swing speed and know others with slower swing speeds that have had good luck with it. I really like it for approach shots (wedges) and chipping around the green, find I can control it a lot better than the cheaper 'distance' balls. That being said I'm not spending $49 for a dozen golf balls so only buy the Pro V1X's if I have some gift certificates from club tournament winnings that I need to use up.

This is one of my crazy superstitions, I will never pick up and keep a found ball. I will give it away. Reasoning, the Golf Gods will wreak havoc and great vengeance on one's game by causing two lost (OB, water or other) balls for every found ball kept.

Maybe, this is why I am stuck at playing bogey golf. OTOH, I have been sacrificing my new balls to the gods (is there more than one?).

I haven't bought golf balls in several years. Last Christmas, DD#2 and SIL gave me 4 dozen+ found balls. Seems SIL's father is one of those scroungers who is always picking up lost balls. So the two of them went through his collection and picked out 4 dozen like new ProV1's. One of my golf buddies was appalled by this - I thought it was wonderfully frugal gift.

With a 4 dozen head start I find enough like new ProV1's around the course to get me through the year without purchasing any more. My problem is usually more like, "Hell, why are there 30 golf balls in my bag? No wonder this sucker feels heavy."

My thought is, if nobody picks up lost ball, the courses will be littered with aging balls. Someone has to do the dirty deed. :)

The "Bridgestone" guy was at our club a couple years ago. Had the equipment for measuring different metrics on my ProV1 vs various Bridgestones. The results convinced me that the Bridgestone RX provided lower spin, for less loft and more control with equal distance, very handy in the winds of Hawaii.

I still have a few ProVs in my bag but am almost afraid to play them now.

The "Bridgestone" guy was at our club a couple years ago. Had the equipment for measuring different metrics on my ProV1 vs various Bridgestones. The results convinced me that the Bridgestone RX provided lower spin, for less loft and more control with equal distance, very handy in the winds of Hawaii.

I still have a few ProVs in my bag but am almost afraid to play them now.

Interesting. I normally use Bridgestone "Fix" (an older type ball) because my swing speed isn't that fast. I've been pleased with them; and, they're reasonably priced.

But, recently, I've been playing with ProV1x balls because I got a free box. I have to say that I really like them. They go as far off the tee (as far as I can tell, since I've been taking lessons which will also affect that), and they seem better around the green.

But, I think I really need to be 'fitted' to a ball. I will try to do that after my series of lessons ends, at the same time as I get a club fitting that comes with the lessons. Hmmmm, club fitting & ball fitting; just what I need, more variables. :facepalm:

gcgang: Headed your way in a couple days; well sort of...headed to Kauai for 10 days. Will be nice to play some 'warm' golf for a change.

Mele Kalikimaka

View attachment 22864
I skipped my lesson and regular Tuesday & Wednesday playing groups this week getting prepared for our upcoming trip to Kauai...and also because the weather this week has sucked :( I'm not a big fan of casual water (everywhere) golf :nonono:

Staying on the south side of Kauai so, expecting great weather & several nice rounds. :dance:

The weather thus far has been superb! My game, on the other hand...well, I had fun. :D

Have played two courses so far: Puakea & Poipu Bay.

Puakea is a high quality public course. It's a fairly open layout with some spectacular views. The course was in good shape. I would play here again.

Poipu Bay (pic) is a top notch resort course, former home to the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, and was in great condition. The greens were immaculate, and the scenery (especially the closing 4 holes) is breathtaking. Would definitely recommend this course if you're on Kauai.

I used Hawaii Tee Times for all my reservations and recommend them highly. I've also used them on Maui and received the same great service. You can book single rounds or packages of several rounds through them and get large discounts off the rack rates (typically the guest or local rates), and their customer service is terrific.

Aloha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 54
Staying Inside

Have played a couple of rounds recently and am finally beginning to naturally keep my down swing inside (most of the time) and, more importantly, feel what it's like to do so; building a little muscle memory I guess.

Should be practicing more to get this but, the recent crap weather has me wanting to play whenever it's nice.

Anyway, it's nice to "feel" what it's like to keep it inside while out on the course, and to get the visual feedback of a beautiful baby draw into the target. :cool:

Anyway, it's nice to "feel" what it's like to keep it inside while out on the course, and to get the visual feedback of a beautiful baby draw into the target. :cool:

I find it difficult to hit the green with a draw. I try and hit a high fade on approach shots.

Of course....our season is done so I'm working on my carving skillz on the hill :eek:

So one of the "benefits" of my lessons is that I have a one way miss now-to the left if I do. (I'm a righty.)

I like that. But, I'm having to "relearn" how to fade the ball. It seems to be a delicate process now so that I don't over cook it.

It's a never ending process eh?

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

I prefer to play with a fade. As Lee Trevino once said "you can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen".

Fades have never been easy to hit for me. I'm a natural drawer of the ball. At this stage and losing distance as I age, I'm happy that I hit a draw. Actually with my short irons I hit the ball pretty straight. It's 7 irons on up that I have a slight draw.

Fades have never been easy to hit for me. I'm a natural drawer of the ball. At this stage and losing distance as I age, I'm happy that I hit a draw. Actually with my short irons I hit the ball pretty straight. It's 7 irons on up that I have a slight draw.

Do you mean 7 iron and lower (D to 6)?

Same here. My natural swing is a slight push with a draw back to the target if my tempo is good. If my setup is too closed or I rush my swing it can easily turn into a hook.

My 7 to lob wedge are usually straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom