Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our intervals are 9 minutes with four "starter times" in the am. The "starter times" are left empty to space things out a bit. If really busy they will fill them. Average round on weekends 3:45, weekdays 3:30 or less. Once played 18 in less than two hours by myself and in a cart on a late Tuesday afternoon. Heaven!

that's not excellent, that's glacial

under 3:30 is acceptable, 3:00 is excellent

Are you playing with 2 players, 3 players or 4 players?

If the course is lightly loaded, a 4 hour round with 4 players is quite good. I've played with golfers that try to set a speed record and they play as 4 singles and not as a foursome. Also, they rarely put out.

A 4 1/2 to 5 hour round happens regularly at the many courses I play (weekday too). The issue is not necessarily the players but the golf course for setting tee times too close together. If the tee sheet is full, play will slow to a crawl with anything less than 10 minute tee times.

A lot of talk about the 'too slow' golfer, what about the 'too fast' golfer. I dislike playing with both types. The 'too fast' golfer measures a successful round of golf not by score but by how long it took them to play a round. They are typical discourteous to the fellow golfers in their group, grow extremely impatient and constantly complain when the group in front is slowing down their 'fast' round, occasionally will hit into the group in front to push them along.

I've played many times with the "too fast golfer" and it can be annoying. I've seen some treat a 25 ft putt as a automatic 2 putt. They take 3 seconds to read the putt and hit it. If it goes in, fine, otherwise pick up and move on.

Played Hiddenbrooke in Vallejo, CA for the first time yesterday. It's a beautiful course! Carved out of a valley with, yes, a brook running through it. Lots of elevation changes, forced carries and trouble to be found but, it rewards accurate shots.

They used to play an LPGA event here but, it seems they've not kept up to those standards. We saw a couple maintenance issues, like one set of bunkers marked GUR due to water but, I can't fault a course too much for that after the rain we've had in NorCal this winter. The staff & facilities are fantastic.

My golf buddies & I are planning to return. We got a great MooseGolf deal @ $29.50/golfer with cart; hard to beat that for this quality of course.

I've played Hiddenbrooke many times. The course conditioning has been deteriorating for years. When they first opened they had the fastest and truest greens around. I still like the course though.

Good article, but I'm not sure I can recall the last time I played a course with 10 minute intervals. Most seem to be 8 minutes or less.

There is a golf course here the SF Bay Area (Wente Vineyards) that use ti have 12 minute tee times. I haven't played there is a while, but I think they switched to 11 minute times.

Tee It Up!

I have 5 more Tuesdays of work - then I expect to contribute to this thread..........

Welcome. You'll love weekday rounds!

Looking forward to your contributions but, you certainly don't have to E-R to contribute to this thread.

There is a golf course here the SF Bay Area (Wente Vineyards) that use ti have 12 minute tee times. I haven't played there is a while, but I think they switched to 11 minute times.

I've heard great things about Wente but, have not yet played it. What are your thoughts on the course?

Since you're in The Bay Area, what are your favorite courses here?

I've heard great things about Wente but, have not yet played it. What are your thoughts on the course?

Since you're in The Bay Area, what are your favorite courses here?

I haven't played Wente in a while, I get great weekday rates at other courses these days :). When I use to play there, I always thought it was one of the best conditioned courses around. It is also very challenging. I like the layout, but wouldn't want to play it on a weekly basis. Still, a definite must play.

I live in Castro Valley and my number 1 golf partner lives in Brentwood. Therefore, we meet halfway a lot and play Poppy Ridge. Locally, I like Callippe in Pleasanton and Metropolitan in Oakland. I also play Roddy Ranch in Brentwood a lot. Going south, I like San Juan Oaks, Bayonet/Black Horse and Poppy Hills.

I'm up in NY, living on Long Island. We've had a few good days this past month. Damn, I actually played in February this year. That's never happened before.

It's a bit cold and breezy this week so I haven't played but I am seriously looking forward to enjoying this summer ... playing on weekdays instead of weekends. And playing several times a week instead of only 2-3 times a month.

I retired last September so this is all new to me. In fact, this is my first post.

I'm up in NY, living on Long Island. We've had a few good days this past month. Damn, I actually played in February this year. That's never happened before.

It's a bit cold and breezy this week so I haven't played but I am seriously looking forward to enjoying this summer ... playing on weekdays instead of weekends. And playing several times a week instead of only 2-3 times a month.

I retired last September so this is all new to me. In fact, this is my first post.

Welcome! And, glad to see you've got your priorities straight. :D

Lots of places outside NY with year-round golf weather, given that you're considering a relocation.

The golf game is a delicate thing

So, it's been a really good spring for the golf game. I'm definitely off to a much better start than I have had in a few years. I really feel like this is going to be a good year.

HOWEVER, today I played a round with one of the stronger players at the club (index about 2) and found out that the improvements that I've been seeing with my regular group are not yet ready for prime time. Everything was just a LITTLE off. Couldn't quite get the drives to draw, easy chips were all coming up 5 or 6 feet short, makeable putts were all a bit tentative. Not really any awful shots, but way too many "not very good" shots.

Amazing what even the teensiest bit of perceived pressure will do to weak spots in a golf game. Oh well, back to the range.

Heading to Kiawah tomorrow for the annual golf trip. Taking 8 guys, playing 6 rounds in 4 days; hoping the weather cooperates but, even with wind & a few sprinkles, it's always heaven. 😍

And, if I lose on the course ⛳️, I can always hope to win @ the poker table. 💰

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

Reached lowest official handicap today. 4 months of retirement did wonders to my game improvement.

Heading to Kiawah tomorrow for the annual golf trip. Taking 8 guys, playing 6 rounds in 4 days; hoping the weather cooperates but, even with wind & a few sprinkles, it's always heaven. 😍

And, if I lose on the course ⛳️, I can always hope to win @ the poker table. 💰

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

Hope you have fun. Surely you are playing the Ocean course. I'd like to hear your opinion of it and whichever of the others you are playing. We were down there a few years back and played all four of the "... Point" courses plus the Ocean course. We liked all but one, but I'll wait until you report back to let you know which one we didn't care for.

Hope you have fun. Surely you are playing the Ocean course. I'd like to hear your opinion of it and whichever of the others you are playing. We were down there a few years back and played all four of the "... Point" courses plus the Ocean course. We liked all but one, but I'll wait until you report back to let you know which one we didn't care for.

JJQ-

Happy to hear you enjoyed the courses @ Kiawah. I just returned home late last night. This is the 13th straight year we've gone and, despite the fact that I didn't play that well, I had a blast as I always do. But, I have to admit that 6 rounds in 4 days left me a bit tired (Can't be the late nights playing poker. :facepalm:)

We always go somewhere btwn mid-April & mid-May, which is some of the best weather down there but, not yet high season prices. The weather this year was a little dicey & it's the first time we've ever been rained out of a round. It was also the most windy conditions I've played in @ Kiawah, and it's always somewhat windy there, especially @ the Ocean course. We had steady 20-30 mph winds & gusts to 40 mph on a couple days, including the day we played Ocean when it was also raining on & off.

Turtle Point is closed for renovation; they're planting salt water friendly grasses (like the Ocean course already has, and now Osprey Point as well as of 2 yrs ago). So, with the rain-out & renovation, we played only 3 of the 5 courses open to the public. But, I've played all 5 many times so, I'll answer your question based on my experience from past years.

Ocean: The signature course; beautiful links style @ one end of the island along the beach. It's hosted the Ryder Cup & multiple majors, and is in the condition you'd expect of such a course. It's very difficult, for me anyway, especially when it's windy. We always play Ocean once each trip, and we walk with caddies, which I think is the best experience; a good caddy will shave 4 +/- strokes off your round by reading the subtle breaks on the greens. None of us scored well in that weather but, despite horizontal rain & 40 mph gusts on the inward 4 holes, I'm proud to say nobody in my 4-some rinsed a ball on 17.

Osprey: Classic low-country resort course with lots of water everywhere; absolutely stunning views all around the course; and, there really are Osprey @ the course, including the occupied nest behind #1 tee box, where you often get bird commentary on your tee shot. Osprey was redone 2 yrs ago and is in fantastic shape; top notch greens. It's actually my favorite course of the 5 I've played.

Turtle: Undergoing renovation with new grasses coming so, we didn't play this trip. It's a Nicklaus course & is a bit tight in places. Turtle has 3 beautiful ocean holes which are being modified during the renovation to improve the golfer's view of the beach. I like Turtle & we normally play it twice/trip. I expect it will be in fantastic shape like Ocean & Osprey after the reno.

Cougar: Also a classic low-country resort course; one of the older (maybe the oldest?) course on the island, and it's showing its age. It was in the worst shape I've seen during the past 13 yrs; they've lost several greens. I was told it's scheduled for renovation in 2017 or 2018; they can't do it soon enough. I've always liked Cougar; it's a little more sheltered (borders the marsh on the inland side of the island). It also does not return to the club house @ 9, which is fine with me.

Oak: Oak Point is actually across the marsh on John's Island but, is in the Kiawah Resort rotation. We did not play Oak this year (victim to our rain out) but, I was told it was redone like Osprey; new grasses & lots of bunker removal. That sounds promising because Oak is very tight with bunkers, turns & bits/pieces of water everywhere; the big hitters in our groups don't like it as they rarely use driver. Oak is definitely target golf.

So, having said all that, my personal ratings are below in order of preference.

1. Osprey
2. Ocean
3. Turtle (after reno)
4. Cougar (only after reno; would not play again until then)
5. Oak

The pic below is #1 tee box @ Osprey with the occupied Osprey nest in the top of the dead tree in back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
JJQ-

1. Osprey
2. Ocean
3. Turtle (after reno)
4. Cougar (only after reno; would not play again until then)
5. Oak

I'll try to post a few pics later. I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on the Kiawah courses.

As I said, it's been a few years (2011, I think). My ranking would be similar to yours, but I would probably put the Ocean course on top. To tell you the truth, it's the only Pete Dye layout that I've really enjoyed. I think he got the links feel just right (unlike Whistling Straits and especially the Irish course at Kohler) but it still is a Pete Dye course.

I remember that we felt the Oak Point course needed some work so I am glad to hear that they did some renovations, I'll have to give it another try. We felt that it fell far short of the Island courses in conditioning at the time, both fairways and greens were definitely poorer quality grass. I also remember finding the 3 ocean holes at Turtle to be a really pleasant "aha" after playing inland.

To tell you the truth, the rest of the week we spent there just sort of blurs together, that often happens to me on a first visit - it takes a couple of rounds to get the courses memorized, It didn't help that we were there Thanksgiving week, the highs were in the upper forties and the Monday forecast was, "Winds will die down tomorrow." The Tuesday forecast was, "Winds will die down tomorrow.", Wednesday was, ... , you get the picture. When your eyes are tearing up and your nose is running all golf courses tend to look alike.

Mid-season form?

Shot a neat little 78 today - only 2 greens in regulation. Not sure if that means things are rounding into form or not.:D

To be fair, I was putting from less than 20 feet away, albeit from the fringe, on 4 other holes. So I really was playing pretty well by my standards. One birdie, 2 double bogeys, 12 one putt greens and a chip-in.

Congrats on your retirement!

Glad the game is improving. Hope you enjoy weekday rounds as much as I do. :D

Me, too! Weekday rounds suit me much better. I find that playing 13 - 16 holes during weekdays is just the right thing. When I played in weekends before retirement, I played 18 holes at 4 - 5 hour pace. At the end of the round, it was exhausting at times.

Had a hole in one this morning. Just a short 110 yard hole but hey.....it counts. I've been playing this course for 30 years or so and it is my first one on this hole. Overall, it is the forth in my lifetime.

Had a hole in one this morning. Just a short 110 yard hole but hey.....it counts. I've been playing this course for 30 years or so and it is my first one on this hole. Overall, it is the forth in my lifetime.

Congrats! I am still waiting for mine to happen. Could be a long wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom