Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup...it's just a gadget, but I like gadgets too.

Funny story...when I first got it, one of my golfing friends thought it was "cheating". That lasted 6 holes and then he drove onto the next fairway and needed a distance :LOL:

Looks like a fine product. Wondering how to find their course library without an account. Crane Creek Country Club in Boise, ID just updated their back nine last year. Garmin is up to date. Golf Buddy is more then two years behind. Wondering about Bushnell.

The only issue I've had with courses are a couple that recently switched their 9's around...the watch still works, but hole #1 reads as #10.

How would the GPS manufacturers know about the changes if the course never advises them?

How would the GPS manufacturers know about the changes if the course never advises them?

they don't - one reason I stopped using skygolf, plus they have an annual fee

I started using an izzo swami after I fired skygolf. I worked well until they redid our back 9. After that I took the plunge and got one of these for $250 from our proshop, which was free due to all my shop credit won with stellar play (and a well managed handicap)

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Ran...&keywords=bushnell+tour+v4+patriot+pack&psc=1

The pro at our shop does let the manufacturers know. Our back nine remodel included a new driving range that wiped out hole 10. Remodeled 12 & 13 and brand new 14 & 15 up a new canyon. It took awhile for Garmin to catch up. Some sites you can find if they have updated their database with a new date. I see that many manufacturers use IGolf's database.

My wife has a Golf Buddy that she likes, but they have not updated the course that we play at. Also chatted with an IGolf helper and he said that our course had not been updated since 2/16/17, prior to the opening of the back nine.

Our back nine remodel included a new driving range that wiped out hole 10.

geez I used to hate that hole - could totally ruin a round

especially where they had the tees being a lefty that likes to draw the ball - I used to clip the trees all the time

good news is that hole is gone and we have an awesome practice facility now and the best course in the valley!

I broke the sub 60 barrier yesterday......a 57! :) Only problem..... the course played as a par 55. It's so wet the course was set up with 17 par 3's and only one par 4. So +2 for the day. I actually hit my irons well, just can't putt a lick.:(

Just finished reading an article about changes to the golf handicap system.

World handicapping system announced by USGA, R&A, changes coming in 2020 | Golf.com

Starting in 2020 most of the golf organizations around the world have agreed to implement the same system, the intent being to make handicaps transferable anywhere you play around the world. A few of the changes to our current system in the US:
1) instead of using your lowest 10 scores from the last 20 posted the new system will use your low 8.
2) Maximum handicap allowed for men has gone up from 36 to 54 (hopefully this won't impact most of us).
3) handicaps updated daily instead of the 1st and 15th of the month and will include a calculation to account for abnormal course and weather conditions (no idea how they will implement this).
4) net double bogey the maximum allowed score for any hole.

Just finished reading an article about changes to the golf handicap system.

World handicapping system announced by USGA, R&A, changes coming in 2020 | Golf.com

Starting in 2020 most of the golf organizations around the world have agreed to implement the same system, the intent being to make handicaps transferable anywhere you play around the world. A few of the changes to our current system in the US:
1) instead of using your lowest 10 scores from the last 20 posted the new system will use your low 8.
2) Maximum handicap allowed for men has gone up from 36 to 54 (hopefully this won't impact most of us).
3) handicaps updated daily instead of the 1st and 15th of the month and will include a calculation to account for abnormal course and weather conditions (no idea how they will implement this).
4) net double bogey the maximum allowed score for any hole.

Interesting - regarding no. 4 above, what does this exactly mean? If you score a 6 on a par 3 hole, you score it as a 5 regardless of what your hcp. is?

Interesting - regarding no. 4 above, what does this exactly mean? If you score a 6 on a par 3 hole, you score it as a 5 regardless of what your hcp. is?

I take it as meaning that if you play a par 3 and it is one of your handicap holes that you get a stroke on then the most strokes you could take is a 6 since that would equate to a 'net' double bogey 5. For a higher handicapper that might get 2 strokes on that par 3 then the most strokes they could take is a 7 which would equal a net double bogey 5. Obviously this only impacts your 'posted' handicap score, if playing in a competition you still add them all up.

Last edited:
Found this:
It's net maximum double bogey, which means that it's maximum double bogey AFTER you have applied you shots allowed from your handicap. So if you are playing off 27, here's a couple of examples: -

Par 4, SI 3. You get 2 shots so a 6 is net par. You shoot an 8. This is net double bogey (8 shots minus 2 shot allowance equals 6, which is two over the par). The score on this hole would stay as an 8 when calculating your handicap.
Par 4, SI 12. You get 1 shot so a 5 is net par. You shoot an 8. This is net triple bogey (8 shots minus 1 shot allowance equals 7, which is three over the par). The score on this hole would be rounded down to a 7 (making it a net double bogey) when calculating your handicap.
So
- if you’re an 18 HI, the highest score on any hole is a triple bogey,
- if you’re a 36 HI the highest score on any hole is a quad, and
- if you’re a 54 HI the highest score is an 8 for a par 3, a 9 for a par 4 and a 10 for a par 5.

Last edited:
Found this:

So
- if you’re an 18 HI, the highest score on any hole is a triple bogey,
- if you’re a 36 HI the highest score on any hole is a quad, and
- if you’re a 54 HI the highest score is an 8 for a par 3, a 9 for a par 4 and a 10 for a par 5.

not necessarily

an 18 HI may be a 20 course handicap, depending on the course and tees

if your COURSE handicap is an 18 then yes, the most you can take on a hole is a triple

I take it as meaning that if you play a par 3 and it is one of your handicap holes that you get a stroke on then the most strokes you could take is a 6 since that would equate to a 'net' double bogey 5. For a higher handicapper that might get 2 strokes on that par 3 then the most strokes they could take is a 7 which would equal a net double bogey 5. Obviously this only impacts your 'posted' handicap score, if playing in a competition you still add them all up.

right now the most I can take on a hole is a 7, regardless of whether that's a par 3 or a par 5

under the new rules it will be a triple

With moving to top 8 of 20 I would assume most people will see a handicap reduction unless they are doing away with the .96 multiplier to compensate.

Don't like the #4 rule - a lot easier to calculate ESC with the current setup.

Equitable stroke control maximums are not determined by Handicap Index. They are determined by what your actual handicap is for that specific course and set of tees you are playing (slope). To determine your handicap for a specific course and set of tees you are playing you use the following calculation:

Your Handicap Index multiplied by Slope Rating of Tees Played divided by 113. So if my handicap index is 8.8 and I am playing a course with a slope of 132 from the blue tees the calculation would be:

8.8 x 132 divided by 113 = 10.3 or rounded down a 10.

You then apply that course handicap to the chart below to determine the max you can take on any given hole.

Course Handicap Maximum Score per Hole
up to 9 Double Bogey
10 through 19 7
20 through 29 8
30 through 39 9
40 or higher 10

For example, if a golfer has a course handicap of 9, shoots a score of 83, but that score includes a six on a par 3 (a triple bogey) then the posted score should be only 82. However, if a golfer with a course handicap of 11 had the same score, the proper score to post is 83.

With moving to top 8 of 20 I would assume most people will see a handicap reduction unless they are doing away with the .96 multiplier to compensate.

A couple of the other changes could also have an impact on your handicap. If they adjust (increase) the course rating because of abnormal playing/weather conditions that could lower your handicap. The new 'net double bogey' rule could increase the handicap for some. Right now someone with an 8 handicap for a course can only take a maximum of a double bogey for any hole, with the new rule they can take up to a triple bogey for the 8 holes they get stokes on.

Probably appreciated here rather than in the Joke thread

Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle, followed by a good bottle of beer.

Golf - You hit down to make the ball go up. You swing left and the ball goes right. The lowest score wins, on top of that, the winner buys the drinks.

Golf - If you find you do not mind playing in the rain, the snow, even during a hurricane, here's a valuable tip..... your life is in trouble.

Golfers who try to make everything perfect before taking the shot rarely make a perfect shot.

A 'gimme' can best be defined as an agreement between two golfers neither of whom can putt very well.

An interesting thing about Golf is that no matter how badly you play, it is always possible to get worse.

Golf's a hard game to figure. One day you'll go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and for no reason at all your game really stinks! If your best shots are the practice swing and the 'gimme putt', you might wish to reconsider this game.

Golf is the only sport where the most feared opponent is you.

Golf is like marriage, If you take yourself too seriously it won't work, and both are expensive.The best wood in most amateurs' bags is the pencil.

SENIOR'S DAY AT THE COURSE!

David Letterman's Top Ten Reasons Why Golf Is Better Than Sex...

#10... A below par performance is considered damn good.

#09... You can stop in the middle and have a cheeseburger and a couple of beers.

#08... It's much easier to find the sweet spot.

#07... Foursomes are encouraged.

#06... You can still make money doing it as a senior.

#05... Three times a day is possible.

#04... Your partner doesn't hire a lawyer if you play with someone else

#03... If you live in Florida, you can do it almost every day.

#02...... You don't have to cuddle with your partner when you're finished.

And the NUMBER ONE reason why golf is better than sex...

#01... When your equipment gets old you can replace it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom