Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my golf superstitions is to start every round with a new ball. After the round, if I haven't lost it, it goes into a different pocket and is used in scrambles or when I've lost a new ball during a round.

been playing pinnacles softs - for a dollar a ball, can't be beat. One of my buddies ordered a bunch of vice balls

Do you actually get some feel with these balls? Will they check up with a wedge shot?

not that much i guess - last night in league I hit an 80 yard approach shot about 120 yards last night with a sand wedge - yes it did hit the green by the stick then proceeded to hop about 40 yards :facepalm: such a nice shot too

Finally had a beautiful day of weather. Today was one of those days when golf seemed easy, at least for a while. I birdied two out of the first three and was still one under after 12. Then reversion to the mean took over, or if you prefer, I couldn't handle the pressure and I bogeyed 4 out of the last 6 to finish 3 over.

Oh, and I played the whole round with a "found" golf ball, just to keep it on the latest topic.:)

I found a snell "mtb" ball the other day and played a few holes with it; favorable impression

Played in our season ending member/member here in Scottsdale this weekend. 60 teams ten flights, 5 nine hole matches. We managed to come from behind the last day and take second in our flight!

Then it was on to the shootout. 10 teams on each nine. Alternate shot. 3 teams eliminated on each of the 3 holes. We managed a net birdie on the first hole to advance. Net par on next hole got us into a putt off which we won! Par on the last hole got is into another putt off which we won as well.

Met the winner from the other nine for the final hole. Par 3...no strokes. They put their shot about 10 ft from the hole. I hit our tee shot and promptly topped it. :mad: Game over. We bogey they par. Tough way to go down. Admit I was nervous...not used to playing in front of a crowd.

Good payday though! Depending on how the pari mutuel betting turns out my partner and I will probably clear about $1400.00!:dance:

season ending? we just had our kickoff tournament :LOL:
We have our league meeting this week and don’t even start playing until the week after. The other league I’m in doesn’t stay play until mid May. :LOL:

I gotta move south!

Last edited:
Season ending in Scottsdale means the snowbirds start heading north and the rates start heading south so regular golfers can afford to play.

he said he likes them a lot but they get dinged up pretty easily

guess he needs to hit fewer cart paths...

I can provide some honest feedback on Vice balls. A little context, I'm a younger guy and a 4 HCP.

I have a professional golf studio at home that I use for practice. Hitting golf balls over and over again indoors into a screen is not how golf balls were meant to be used. Since typically no damage is done to the cover of the ball, what happens is balls will eventually crack or split in two if used for too long. So you frequently have to change out the balls that you use. On a course, you would lose, scuff, or somehow damage a ball before you ever split one. Having said that, I like to use the Vice equivalent of Pro V1's indoors at home. The reason is that they don't wear very well and after my shorter irons have scuffed them up a bit, I can tell it's time to change out that ball before it splits and becomes a hazard.

In the wild, I play Pro V1's and I put a lot of spin on the ball. Using the Vice equivalent, I cannot get a ball to last 18 holes. Generally after 9 holes it's beat up enough that I can notice the change in performance with my wedges. Generally speaking, I don't have any problem getting a Pro V1 to last 18 holes, assuming I don't pull it left OB somewhere (my big miss). That said, with both balls being new, I can't tell a difference. The feel is the same and as verified by my launch monitor at home, the spin numbers are near identical.

If you were perhaps older, or didn't put a bunch of spin on the ball, the Vice balls might be a good fit at about half the price. Since they only last me about half that of a Titleist, I play Pro V1's outside since the cost is about the same as using two Vice per round.

If you haven’t seen it https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/hot-list-golf-balls#1.

Snell (2 gold balls), Vice (2 golds) and Cut (1 silver) all made the Golf Digest Hot List.

However, the Snell MTB Red and Black and the Srixon Q-Star Tour were the only balls at any price that got 5 stars in Performance, Innovation and Feel. No Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade or other brand did, even their premium $45-48/dozen models didn’t get all 5 stars...

Attachments

• 50493867-6ADA-421D-BD05-42DE86E46D48.jpeg
    50493867-6ADA-421D-BD05-42DE86E46D48.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
In the wild, I play Pro V1's and I put a lot of spin on the ball. Using the Vice equivalent, I cannot get a ball to last 18 holes. Generally after 9 holes it's beat up enough that I can notice the change in performance with my wedges. Generally speaking, I don't have any problem getting a Pro V1 to last 18 holes, assuming I don't pull it left OB somewhere (my big miss). That said, with both balls being new, I can't tell a difference. The feel is the same and as verified by my launch monitor at home, the spin numbers are near identical.

I don't think Vice is alone in coming of short of the ProV1 in durability. I've played most of the tour level balls and the ProV1 easily has the best cover in my experience. I'll play 18 holes with one and unless I bounce it off a hard surface I have a hard time seeing any difference with it and a new ball in the sleeve.

However, the Snell MTB Red and Black and the Srixon Q-Star Tour were the only balls at any price that got 5 stars in Performance, Innovation and Feel. No Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade or other brand did, even their premium $45-48/dozen models didn’t get all 5 stars...

I recall reading that article when it first came out. Aren't the ball ratings based on the category (cost range) they are in. The Q-Star Tour gets a 5* rating in it's category (mid-range cost) but I don't believe they are saying it's a better ball than one that is rated 4.5* in the higher priced category.

I recall reading that article when it first came out. Aren't the ball ratings based on the category (cost range) they are in. The Q-Star Tour gets a 5* rating in it's category (mid-range cost) but I don't believe they are saying it's a better ball than one that is rated 4.5* in the higher priced category.
You could very well be right, though Golf Digest doesn't state that anywhere I could find. What they did publish was "When we asked golfers to evaluate golf balls for this year's Hot List—our overarching guidance was: "Rate these balls based on how much you would want to play them compared to your current ball" - leaving "in it's category" undefined? With all the ad money on the table they wouldn't dare say directly that a cheaper ball was better than any premium Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade.

The ratings appear to be largely subjective and they’re weighted using performance, innovation, feel and demand (shouldn't be included IMO). On average, the Over $35 category has the highest performance and overall ratings, the $25 and Under category has the lowest performance and overall ratings, and the $26-$35 category falls in between - but to be honest the margins are so slim you could call them even. However, more often than not price correlates to performance and overall ratings for any given ball maker - as I would expect.

At any rate, the Snell MTB and the Srixon Q-Star Tour got the highest ratings in the mid cost category, if not overall. Guess I need to try the Srixon Q-Star Tour, once I lose the 5 dozen Snell MTB's I already have.

I need the weather to break more often so I can get out and play more golf! Cabin fever gets worse every year... :blush:

Attachments

• Balls 2.jpg
    Balls 2.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
So, I got the Cut Blue/Grey sample pack (a sleeve of each), and played a round; front 9 Blue, back 9 Grey. I liked both - nice feel off the driver & a bit more responsive left or right than my Nike RZNs; definitely noticed the check on the greens with long or short irons. Both are much softer than my current balls so, I didn’t putt worth a damn; left everything short. I was having a hard time choosing between them so, I went to the practice facility today to chip & putt with both, alongside range balls just to compare. Both Blue & Grey have urethane covers & seem to check up well around the green, off tight lies or fluffy lies with an open face; both also feel good off the putter; definitely softer than the range balls. The Grey is a bit lower compression & I can use the extra few yards so, I placed a bulk order for Greys today. Looking forward to playing with them.

Last edited:
I thought this was an interesting article, a brief analysis of the dreaded 3-putt, by handicap.

https://mygolfspy.com/study-the-anatomy-of-a-3-putt-powered-by-shot-scope/

Playing a wide variety of greens (fast & slow) on new to me courses last year threw me more often than not, usually took at least 4-6 holes (and several lost strokes :() to adapt.

I’ve also seen other articles discussing why it may be harder for some players to make a given 3-6 ft putt for birdie than the exact same putt for par.

Today we're taking a fresh look at the anatomy of a 3-putt. Not only are we looking at the rate at which golfers 3-putt, we're going to examine what's been dubbed The Previous Shot Effect. It's a fascinating concept that delves into the psychological impact of a poor first putt and how that influences subsequent attempts.

Attachments

• 1525B178-1695-4010-BCCB-0496C42CDF1F.jpg
    1525B178-1695-4010-BCCB-0496C42CDF1F.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom