Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost always pick up when I reach my ESC max unless I’m playing extremely well, and want to see the true card score. I find the ESC makes golf way more enjoyable.

Some of the best rounds of my life started out slow....maybe 3 or 4 over early. My best round included 5 birdies in a row. Had I picked up on some eaarly holes, I would have missed out on the best round of my life. 13.1 is the most important rule.

Decide before you hit your first shot....Practice or real round?

Played in a multi-course tournament this past weekend on my home course. I am a ghin 5.0.... 225 yard avg off the tee.

Played against two guys from another course with 0 and 3 handicaps. Both of these guys were 20 years younger than me and could drive it 250+ with a 2 iron. Drivers were 300 and that is not an exaggeration.

Needless to say, I had the advantage of keeping it in play and knowing the greens. I shot 75 with a double on one hole (never lost a ball). The 0 hcp shot 87 and lost half a dozen. The 3 shot 84.

To play good golf, you need to keep it D.F.M (down the frickin middle).

Oldest guy in the foursome and whipped them all....:dance:

Just love hearing stories like this when age and experience beat youth and strength. It's all about fairways and greens baby, fairways and greens. :dance::dance:

+2

Chuck Corica

Just played at the new Chuck Corica links style course in Alameda, CA. What a delight! This is a fantastic course! Not super long but, lots of bunkers & you have to think your way around. The greens are very speedy but, also very true.

Stay out of the fescue, out of the bunkers, & below the hole, and you’ll score well.

Had a strange situation/rule happen during our clubs match play tournament. On the 9th hole I had a down hill putt and as it was approaching the hole it looked like it was going to stop next to the hole so my opponent conceded the putt. To the surprise of both of us it kept rolling and stopped ~3ft past the hole. My opponent then stated he changed his mind and wanted me to putt the next one. What do you think the ruling should be?

I played with a group on Thursday...it was 31c (88F). Just before we teed off at 1:45 a single walked up to the first tee so we let him play through.

He was wearing black pants, carrying his bag, and had no hat. At 1:45 on a 31C day :crazy:

Had a strange situation/rule happen during our clubs match play tournament. On the 9th hole I had a down hill putt and as it was approaching the hole it looked like it was going to stop next to the hole so my opponent conceded the putt. To the surprise of both of us it kept rolling and stopped ~3ft past the hole. My opponent then stated he changed his mind and wanted me to putt the next one. What do you think the ruling should be?
Poor sportsmanship on his part and he’s wrong.
A "conceded putt" is a putt that your opponent in a golf match gives you; that is, your opponent allows you to count the putt as made without requiring you to actually stroke it into the hole. As soon as your opponent tells you he's conceding your putt, your putt is considered holed. If you were laying three and your putt is conceded, you pick up your golf ball, mark down a "4" on your scorecard and move on.

Can You Rescind a Conceded Putt?

Let's say you inform an opponent you are conceding a putt. But before he picks up the ball, you change your mind. Can you rescind the concession?

No. A concession means the ball is holed. As soon as you concede an opponent's ball, that ball is considered holed and your opponent's play of that hole is over. And if a golfer who had a putt conceded putts anyway and misses? Doesn't matter. When a concession is given, that golfer's play of a hole is over.
https://www.thoughtco.com/conceded-putt-1564034

And if a golfer who had a putt conceded putts anyway and misses? Doesn't matter. When a concession is given, that golfer's play of a hole is over.

That's interesting. As I've said, I've only played with friends but this has come up. They concede the putt butt I've hit it and missed and they have always said something like - you should take it when it's given to you. The implication being that if I hit after concession, I've basically declined the concession and however I putt counts. I like to putt but I'm close enough to these guys in score that I don't want to artificially penalize myself. While not a true/official score, it should at least be comparable. Thanks!

I brought up this rule situation more to show that golf rules can get complicated under certain situations. Anyone who has read through the 'Decisions on the Rules of Golf' would agree. I've been playing golf for ~45 years and always thought I had a good handle on the rules but there are still situations that pop up that stump me.

In fairness to my opponent when I explained to him that once a putt is conceded it can't be taken back he agreed, I picked up and we moved on to the next hole. Only found out after the round that I was wrong on the conceded putt rule.

The rule (2.4) as stated is: "
A player may concede his opponent's next stroke at any time, provided the opponent's ball is at rest. The opponent is considered to have holed out with his next stroke, and the ball may be removed by either side.
A concession may not be declined or withdrawn"

The key part of the rule we missed is "provided the ball is at rest". Since my opponent conceded my putt before my putt had come to a stop the concession is not valid and I should have ignored it and putted out.

I brought up this rule situation more to show that golf rules can get complicated under certain situations. Anyone who has read through the 'Decisions on the Rules of Golf' would agree. I've been playing golf for ~45 years and always thought I had a good handle on the rules but there are still situations that pop up that stump me.

In fairness to my opponent when I explained to him that once a putt is conceded it can't be taken back he agreed, I picked up and we moved on to the next hole. Only found out after the round that I was wrong on the conceded putt rule.

A player may concede his opponent's next stroke at any time, provided the opponent's ball is at rest. The opponent is considered to have holed out with his next stroke, and the ball may be removed by either side.

The key part of the rule we missed is "provided the ball is at rest". Since my opponent conceded my putt before my putt had come to a stop the concession is not valid and I should have ignored it and putted out.
It’s still poor sportsmanship to withdraw a concession IMO, even if he was within the rules to do so. I assume he didn’t know the rules in that detail but if he knew the rules, he should have conceded the stroke (again) after your ball came to rest.

But... Rule 2.6 states;

The penalty for a breach of a Rule in match play is loss of hole except when otherwise provided.

So.... I think that an argument could be made that when your opponent conceded the putt prior to the ball comimg to rest he violated Rule 2.4 because he had no right to concede the putt while the ball was still moving... and said breach should result in him losing the hole under Rule 2.6.

My.... what a tangled web these golf rules weave.

We had our Member Guest this weekend. The organizer is a big, outgoing jovial guy, named Dino. He looks exactly like what you'd expect a Dino to look like-a cross between Tony Soprano and his buddy Big Pussy. He is responsible for taking the tourney from a one day affair with little turnout to a two day, with a nice dinner. Great promoter!

I got on the Board and chaired the Golf Committee last year, and had input on handicapping. I've been Handicap Chair at other clubs, and scored an 83 on the USGA Rules test.

Format has been scramble first day, best ball second. While scramble isn't a recognized format, USGA Handicap book suggests 50% of the lower partner, 10% of the higher. I lobbied to use that system, and gots tons of crap from people saying they weren't getting their strokes. On the best ball (four Ball), we used 90% handicap but didn't use the USGA recommendation to adjust 10% when there is a large differential in handicap. Sure enough, 4/5 top teams would have been subject to the adjustment. I lobbied to use the adjustment this year.

Instead, I wasn't invited to the MemberGuest meetings. They used 30% of team handicap for the scramble, and you won't believe what Dino did for the best ball.

I had asked a newbie to the area who I play poker with to be my partner. Never played with him. He's a 24. Legit. He never played in a tournament, and kept on thinking we were in match play against our playing partners, almost picking our ball up when the other team was in with 3 and we were still putting for 4. Lol. For the next day, I explained how best ball works. My handicap was 6, so if they used 100% handicap, he'd simply get 1 stroke more than me on each hole, and we record our best net score. But we'd probably use 90% and may get adjusted further.

The flyer said the best ball would be 75% of team handicap. This made no sense to me, and I called the pro a few days before the tournament to clarify. He agreed it made no sense, and said he'd talk with Dino.

To my, and almost everyone else's surprise, before Sunday's round, Dino announced, so that everyone's score would count (wha??), we'd use 75% of the teams handicap on the best ball. The pro didn't even show up.

I went out and shot 75, my partner made bogey on my one double, so we shot 74. He only tied me on one other hole. 51.5 net! We won.

I'd never won a MemberGuest, and still feel this one should have an asterisk. But, playing the last three holes into a 25 mph wind, I hit driver 6 iron, driver four iron, for two pars. Then on the par 5 final, hit driver, driver off the deck, 8 iron, then made a 40 footer. It felt great to know the pressure was on and to finish strong.

So even though the format was stoopid, I played the best I've played in 3 months, and will take the win.

Last edited:
Dino must not play a lot of competitive golf - both the scramble and best ball formats were messed up

we have a 10 shot rule in our member guest and it is a 3 day points match play better ball 90% of course handicap

As far as putting out....still an ongoing argument with the large group I play with. They keep trying to enforce no "gimmies"....but some think they are being "nice" by giving putts, some of which end up being a couple feet or more. I won't give a putt unless it is 12 inches or less and I get picked on a bit for being mean. I really don't get conceding putts at all.....just putt the damn thing into the hole....even if you are a pro.

As far as putting out....still an ongoing argument with the large group I play with. They keep trying to enforce no "gimmies"....but some think they are being "nice" by giving putts, some of which end up being a couple feet or more. I won't give a putt unless it is 12 inches or less and I get picked on a bit for being mean. I really don't get conceding putts at all.....just putt the damn thing into the hole....even if you are a pro.
In the leagues I play in, I just take my cue from others. The only universal rule I’ve noticed is you must putt out for a birdie/eagle even if it’s inches. Otherwise, some only grant gimmes of less than a foot, others closer to 3 feet - or at least if it’s someone having a really horrible hole like putting for a triple bogey. If I think they’re being too generous, I’ll putt out so my score is “pure.” I really don’t care what scores others record, and there’s never much $ on the line if anything. Life’s too short...

Last edited:
I only concede putts within the leather.... the length of a typical golf club grip.... unless an opponent has had a really bad hole then to put him out of his misery. If a putt is for an eagle then no concession no matter what... if it is for a birdie and within the lether but a really tricky putt then I might not concede it (situational).

A friend tried to convince me that within the leather was the length from the bottom of the grip to the putter head.... NOT!

A friend tried to convince me that within the leather was the length from the bottom of the grip to the putter head.... NOT!

“Inside the leather”

“This is an old expression referring to putters and how close the ball is to the hole -- whether or not it is close enough to be "a gimme" (conceded as holed without actually going to the trouble of putting it in) in casual play.

The word inside tends to mean closer than and outside farther than. So inside the leather would mean closer than the leather. Ah, but from which end? Many people ask, "Does that mean from the top end of the grip to where the shaft starts or from the club head to where the grip starts?" It means the latter. Inside the leather is generally thought of as the ball being less than (inside) the distance from the club head to where the grip* starts and it is typically measured by hooking the end of the putter in the lip of the cup, similarly to if you were hooking the tab of a tape measure on the lip.”

Ambiguities in Golf Termimology - Golf Instruction Article - PGAProfessional.com

Yep, head of the putter up to the start of the grip.

As for concession, I would never give or accept a concession on an eagle or birdie. In my personal group, it would have to be pretty close on a par. After that, it gets conceded pretty generously.

Yep, head of the putter up to the start of the grip.

As for concession, I would never give or accept a concession on an eagle or birdie. In my personal group, it would have to be pretty close on a par. After that, it gets conceded pretty generously.

In our Tues/Thurs group, inside the leather is head to start of grip. We give for par and above. All birdies and below must be putted no matter the distance due to stobs paid separately.
And yes, I have missed inside the leather for birdie before!!!!

I don't give or take gimmes unless it's 6 inches or less.

Last week I had one of my best games ever...I shot 81 on a "normal" length course. I've shot a 78 before but it was on a 5600 yard course full of 300 yard par 3's. The guys I was playing with last week kept "giving" me putts but I putted all of them wanting a potential great round to be official with no gimmes. I even tapped in 6" putts in that round.

“Inside the leather”

“This is an old expression referring to putters and how close the ball is to the hole -- whether or not it is close enough to be "a gimme" (conceded as holed without actually going to the trouble of putting it in) in casual play.

The word inside tends to mean closer than and outside farther than. So inside the leather would mean closer than the leather. Ah, but from which end? Many people ask, "Does that mean from the top end of the grip to where the shaft starts or from the club head to where the grip starts?" It means the latter. Inside the leather is generally thought of as the ball being less than (inside) the distance from the club head to where the grip* starts and it is typically measured by hooking the end of the putter in the lip of the cup, similarly to if you were hooking the tab of a tape measure on the lip.”

Ambiguities in Golf Termimology - Golf Instruction Article - PGAProfessional.com

Learn something new every day.... I polled a foursome I was in a while ago and we all felt it was the length of the grip... not from the blade to the bottom of the grip like this source suggests. That is 22" on my putter.... vs 10" for just the grip.

I see guys miss 22" putts all the time.... even the pros do.... 10"... not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom