Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think ‘taking your medicine’ helps the score at any level.

Good on ya!

BTW, I did exactly that today on both 17 & 18 after poor drives on both. Carded two bogeys instead of something worse.

Great example of not letting your emotions get in the way of your game!!

Playing for a bogey makes sense many times after a bad drive.

Keep it up and the 70s/80s are in your future.

I can still remember when I started to play golf and breaking into the 90s was the goal, then shooting bogey golf and then breaking into the 80s and being content but not happy or satisfied with my game knowing I could shoot almost par golf with the exception of those one or two blow holes. Shooting in the 70s consistently will always be goal and another level for this great and crazy game we call golf.

Some days you have it...some days you don't. I had one of those rare good days yesterday. Made six birdies. Putter was working well with the exception of a missed 20" par putt. I hate those short ones. Not playing today because I never do anything the day after a good day. :)

+1, even tour pros have to hit recovery shots at times. It’s part of the game. People who always go for improbable hero shots score worse on that hole more often than not. I’d rather settle for a bogey than hope to save par only to score a double or triple bogey.

One of the best tips I got was "never turn a bogey into a double or worse". I've learned to take my medicine and chip out or lay up rather than attempt a high risk shot.

I'll even hit a shorter club off the tee on narrow and very long par 4's rather than risk a driver into the trees...for example, a 4-hybrid and 8-iron on a 440 hole leaving a wedge shot to the green. I'll make a lot of 5's with an occasional 4, but triples are taken out of play.

BTW, I did exactly that today on both 17 & 18 after poor drives on both. Carded two bogeys instead of something worse.

Yep, scored bogey on 18...from the wrong fairway :D. But, had to tell another golfer (who, to be fair, was playing in her own fairway) to put my ball back down so I could hit it again. :facepalm:

Yep, scored bogey on 18...from the wrong fairway :D. But, had to tell another golfer (who, to be fair, was playing in her own fairway) to put my ball back down so I could hit it again. :facepalm:

The decisions I make on the type of shots I'll play depends on the situation. If I'm out during the normal weekly casual round I'm going to try shots that I wouldn't try during a tournament. To me it's fun trying to play and pull off difficult shots, don't always succeed but it sure feels good when it does. Need to take a positive approach, if you go into any shot with negative thoughts there's a pretty good chance you'll fail.

Some days you have it...some days you don't.
Yesterday I hit 3 fairways out of 14, and 3 GIR, really frustrating. Fortunately it was a nice day, I had great playing partners and my recovery shots, greenside play and putting weren’t bad.

Stupid game.

Can’t wait to try again.

Last edited:
I have decided to move up to forward tees. Due to a combination of factors, it's clear that my distance has dropped. I don't enjoy hitting driver off the tee, then 3 wood from the fairway, and still end up 50 yards short on some of the holes I play.

Recently I played "combo tees" at my course, which move the tees to the senior tees on the longer holes. Much more fun. Then I played a short course, and enjoyed hitting a wedge on nearly every hole, occasionally a mid-iron.

I've been playing well as of late. Went 50 holes without a double bogey (personal record) and had only 1 double bogey in the last 4 rounds.

Going to play Carmel Valley Ranch Resort next week for a couple of days of unlimited golf.

I have decided to move up to forward tees. Due to a combination of factors, it's clear that my distance has dropped. I don't enjoy hitting driver off the tee, then 3 wood from the fairway, and still end up 50 yards short on some of the holes I play.

Recently I played "combo tees" at my course, which move the tees to the senior tees on the longer holes. Much more fun. Then I played a short course, and enjoyed hitting a wedge on nearly every hole, occasionally a mid-iron.

Golf season is winding down here and the last few weeks have been miserable weather. I finally got out on Thursday and the course was already prepping for winter and all the tees were moved forward shortening holes by up to 100 yards in some cases.

While I'm not yet ready to move to the forward tees, it was nice to play a round where I had a wedge into most of the par 4's.

Going to play Carmel Valley Ranch Resort next week for a couple of days of unlimited golf.

That’s a beautiful course & you should score well. Hopefully, you won’t have any pace of play problems, which can be an issue there. Enjoy!

I’ll be near there next week, playing Pacific Grove (the poor man’s Pebble Beach) on Monterey Bay. Staying walking distance from the course & looking forward to it.

That’s a beautiful course & you should score well. Hopefully, you won’t have any pace of play problems, which can be an issue there. Enjoy!

I’ll be near there next week, playing Pacific Grove (the poor man’s Pebble Beach) on Monterey Bay. Staying walking distance from the course & looking forward to it.

I've never played Pacific Grove, but I go down there and play Poppy Hills a few times per year. I hope it's not a slow pace of play, we plan on playing 2 rounds per day.

I play with two guys. One is a senior and plays forward. When it’s just him and me I play forward with him. It’s interesting to play the same course different ways. I can out drive him, but he can get up and down better than me. Goes to show you, drive for show . . .

I've never played Pacific Grove, but I go down there and play Poppy Hills a few times per year. I hope it's not a slow pace of play, we plan on playing 2 rounds per day.

I haven’t play Carmel Valley Ranch but, the GolfAdvisor reviews almost all describe slow pace of play. Sounds like it may have to do with wedding parties so, hopefully the Wedding Season (Spring/Summer?) is over & you’ll have no problems.

Corica South is a Gem!

Played Corica South for the second time this week. It’s in Alameda, CA & has been open for < a year after the recent renovation. Wow, I love this course! Just wish I didn’t have to drive an hour through Bay Area traffic to get there. But, still worth it. There’s serious talk of them hosting a 2019 PGA event. Steph Curry plays there a lot & is promoting having an event there so, I think the PGA is trying to find a way to use his popularity & get it done. I can tell you they won’t have to speed up the greens any; they were 11.5 when we played this week; they’re always that fast. But, honestly, I love those greens because they’re very true. They had some pace of play problems when they first opened but, that seems to be fixed now; one of my golfing buddies is a Marshall there, and says they’ve been focusing on that.

Having fun is the main purpose of playing golf, adjust as necessary to have fun.

Played Corica South for the second time this week. It’s in Alameda, CA & has been open for < a year after the recent renovation. Wow, I love this course! Just wish I didn’t have to drive an hour through Bay Area traffic to get there. But, still worth it. There’s serious talk of them hosting a 2019 PGA event. Steph Curry plays there a lot & is promoting having an event there so, I think the PGA is trying to find a way to use his popularity & get it done. I can tell you they won’t have to speed up the greens any; they were 11.5 when we played this week; they’re always that fast. But, honestly, I love those greens because they’re very true. They had some pace of play problems when they first opened but, that seems to be fixed now; one of my golfing buddies is a Marshall there, and says they’ve been focusing on that.

I played there in August. I really liked the course and the greens were the best I've played all year. Fast and true!!! My only issue is the price. It was $55 walking and $70 riding for weekday NCGA members. My back has been bothering me since May so I had to ride. It's relatively high priced compared to golfmoose specials and weekday senior rates at others courses.

I played there in August. I really liked the course and the greens were the best I've played all year. Fast and true!!! My only issue is the price. It was $55 walking and $70 riding for weekday NCGA members. My back has been bothering me since May so I had to ride. It's relatively high priced compared to golfmoose specials and weekday senior rates at others courses.

I know; if you’re not an Alameda resident it’s a bit pricey. I got a good rate both times I played; pays to know the right people. :D

I’m glad you also like the greens; best I’ve played this year too.

Having fun is the main purpose of playing golf, adjust as necessary to have fun.

Yeah, for sure. Switching my playing partners and time to a later morning tee time as well. Looking forward to the changes :)

Golf season is winding down here and the last few weeks have been miserable weather. I finally got out on Thursday and the course was already prepping for winter and all the tees were moved forward shortening holes by up to 100 yards in some cases.

While I'm not yet ready to move to the forward tees, it was nice to play a round where I had a wedge into most of the par 4's.

Yeah, the first time I played the forward tees was with my BIL on a wet day. He's a four years older, and the starter suggested the tees. I have to admit I enjoyed it. All's well no matter what :)

So, who's going to pay $20 to watch the Tiger/Phil match? Not me! Phil is becoming quite the huckster as he gets older, seen him in a promo pushing some new ED supplement, even got his wife involved. Very strange for someone making ~$50M/year.

Had a great time playing Pacific Grove; highly recommended for a short multi-round trip. The front 9 is OK but, nothing special. The back 9, however, is spectacular; winding thru the natural dunes with beautiful ocean views from every hole. And, although I didn’t have a lot of exploring time, Pacific Grove the town is quite charming.

Attachments

• 0462262B-388A-420D-B833-592DDD02A20D.jpg
    0462262B-388A-420D-B833-592DDD02A20D.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 9
  • D8D1F90E-34DF-4DB6-8A14-A27388F72FFA.jpg
    D8D1F90E-34DF-4DB6-8A14-A27388F72FFA.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 9
I’ve never done PPV for any event, and if I did it wouldn’t be to watch Tiger v Phil.

I played today at my club here in Texas. I eagled the 2nd hole and birdied the 3rd and was 3 under after 3 holes. I should have quit then. I ended up shooting 80 with 6 three putts. Could have been a career round but that darn putter let me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom