Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 - 20 years ago it used to be hard to get a tee time without reserving a few days in advance. Now I can get a tee time on most courses the very same day.

I rarely see young people on the course these days...there are few golfers under 30 and the sightings only seem to be at private and semi-private courses where they are likely the offspring of members.

Unfortunately, around where I live, some courses have gone out of business without new ones popping up. There are less people playing golf (or getting into it). Golf needs to evolve into something younger generations can easily get into. 5 hour round at $xyz isn't going to attract younger folks.

Unfortunately, around where I live, some courses have gone out of business without new ones popping up. There are less people playing golf (or getting into it). Golf needs to evolve into something younger generations can easily get into. 5 hour round at $xyz isn't going to attract younger folks.

What ever happened to par 3 courses? I played a lot of those growing up. Popular in urban areas. They really help your game. Affordable, doesn't take all day, and tunes your short game.

However, young men have this thing that everything has to be "extreme," so par 3 won't cut it. Even 40 years ago, these courses were not popular with young men because you couldn't go out and "crush it."

The habit I learned was lay it on the edge of green on a path you will take to your cart or path to next hole. Not as good, but maybe next best thing.
+1. That’s what I do as well.

But I have the added advantage of using head covers on irons, so I always have an empty head cover laying on my cart - an automatic reminder. Not everyones cup of tea I realize.

Golf-Home Owners Find Themselves in a Hole
Lawsuits pile up and fairways fall into disrepair as younger Americans shun golf, leaving behind homeowners who paid a premium for life on the links
https://www.wsj.com/articles/golf-home-owners-find-themselves-in-a-hole-11547135191

"More than 200 golf courses closed in 2017 across the country, while only about 15 new ones opened"
We’re relocating this year, and though I love golf I’ve told DW we are NOT buying in a community where a golf course is any part of the POA package. One of the nicest communities near us now has struggled with a golf course since they broke ground over 20 years ago, constant worry for residents.

One course around here has experimented with 15"/18" holes on occasion. A couple others have separate 21" holes in the fairways for foot golf.

One course around here has experimented with 15"/18" holes on occasion. A couple others have separate 21" holes in the fairways for foot golf.

Bring back the foot wedge and hand mashie!

i see kids all the time - the Boise State men's and women's golf teams practice at my club, as do the local high and junior high schools

I see college and high school teams too at my club, but overall I don't see a lot of young people becoming members. In the late 90's we had over 500 members and today less than 200. Of that 200 probably 50% is made up of retirees. The club was turned into a semi-private course a couple of years ago putting it in the black. But as the retirees(boomers) die off, that will put even more stress on the club.

Golf is certainly not going away but more courses will close imo. Hopefully the worst is behind is tho.

Wow, I didn’t realize anyone had actually done that but I see there are courses that have.

My first reaction was that’s preposterous! But it would make putting much easier, lower scores and speed up play - I wonder how much for each? So if there was one near me, I’d try it...

https://youtu.be/_s9HKnVjd48

Found this too
Using a larger cup can increase pace of play by up to 45 minutes. The average score can be as many as 10 strokes better.

Wow, I didn’t realize anyone had actually done that but I see there are courses that have.

My first reaction was that’s preposterous! But it would make putting much easier, lower scores and speed up play - I wonder how much for each? So if there was one near me, I’d try it...

https://youtu.be/_s9HKnVjd48

Found this too

I would really like to try this! I am not a putting fan. I am a fan of the swing and strategy of getting out of trouble when your swing goes wrong. Putting is a different game. It is also maddening to be on the fairway and watch the group in front of you play for the green jacket when putting. Come on, guys!

Of course, I know, I know this won't give you a real score or develop a handicap. But for fun on a hot sweaty day? Nice.

One more thing, someone mentioned TopGolf. Well, there you go, it gets you a bit there by cutting out the tedious 3' putt misses.

What ever happened to par 3 courses? I played a lot of those growing up. Popular in urban areas. They really help your game. Affordable, doesn't take all day, and tunes your short game.

However, young men have this thing that everything has to be "extreme," so par 3 won't cut it. Even 40 years ago, these courses were not popular with young men because you couldn't go out and "crush it."

Gotta admit, I have no use for par 3 courses. I rather not play. Maybe once in a great while would be Ok. I play in a tournament once a year on a par 3 and it's fun, but that's enough for me.

I would really like to try this! I am not a putting fan. I am a fan of the swing and strategy of getting out of trouble when your swing goes wrong. Putting is a different game. It is also maddening to be on the fairway and watch the group in front of you play for the green jacket when putting. Come on, guys!

Of course, I know, I know this won't give you a real score or develop a handicap. But for fun on a hot sweaty day? Nice.

One more thing, someone mentioned TopGolf. Well, there you go, it gets you a bit there by cutting out the tedious 3' putt misses.

I tend to agree that putting is too big of a part of the game. I like the idea of a bigger hole, but only if adopted by the USGA and PGA Tour also, which isn't going to happen.

Gotta admit, I have no use for par 3 courses. I rather not play. Maybe once in a great while would be Ok. I play in a tournament once a year on a par 3 and it's fun, but that's enough for me.
I think I'm romanticizing it in my memory.

I'm liking the idea of the bigger hole and easier putting over a par 3.

One course near me also installed the foot golf holes/greens. Guess what? Even less players play foot golf - far, far less. It's mostly unused and I wonder how long the course will maintained the foot golf greens. But I give them credit for trying to generate more revenue.

I tend to agree that putting is too big of a part of the game. I like the idea of a bigger hole, but only if adopted by the USGA and PGA Tour also, which isn't going to happen.
If the pros adopted 15” holes, they’d eliminate putting altogether after a few years of pros 1 putting 99.9% of the time...

One course near me also installed the foot golf holes/greens. Guess what? Even less players play foot golf - far, far less. It's mostly unused and I wonder how long the course will maintained the foot golf greens. But I give them credit for trying to generate more revenue.

What is foot golf?

If the pros adopted 15” holes, they’d eliminate putting altogether after a few years of pros 1 putting 99.9% of the time...

Kind of like how the NFL had to finally move back the extra point line since it became a 99% process.

Great afternoon with friends on the links today.... 43/39/82.... -10 net. I was finally able to string together two good half rounds.... too many rounds lately of high 30s/low 40s followed by high/mid 40s.... or vice versa.

Great afternoon with friends on the links today.... 43/39/82.... -10 net. I was finally able to string together two good half rounds.... too many rounds lately of high 30s/low 40s followed by high/mid 40s.... or vice versa.
Well done. Golf always draws us back with rounds like that.

Nice. I bet the 19th hole was even better.

Got to play 3 times last week. The course setup was more like an executive one due to wet conditions. All par 5's made into par 3's and par 4's shortened by 50 yards. Made it fun for wet soggy conditions. Should be able to get in a couple of rounds early next week before more rain moves back in.

I disagree with bastardizing the greatest game ever played in order to try and save it. It went through a sustained period of growth during the baby boomer years and is now going through a contraction period. All will be fine.

I disagree with bastardizing the greatest game ever played in order to try and save it. It went through a sustained period of growth during the baby boomer years and is now going through a contraction period. All will be fine.
Perhaps. There will be an awakening that perhaps getting out in the real world is better than video game reality.

Don't we constantly hear about "experiences, not things" from the young set. No better experience than slicing one in the rough, and hacking through to save par. Or holing in a birdie, or, well, you know.

+1

I would agree. A big part of the fun of the game to me is the challenge. Although I like the challenge for awhile golf course design went too far, many courses were built at a championship level to challenge the pros. That didn't always make it a fun course to play for all the other regular golfers. It does seem like most of the current designers have gotten the message and more of a priority is being placed on building courses that can be a challenge for the pros as well as fun for the rest of us.

Do you agree that it would help if the game could be sped up significantly? I’m just asking, not challenging your POV in any way. I’ll play golf no matter what, even four hours is too short to me on many good (weather, score, company) days. Golf will find a new equilibrium if necessary, it won’t outright die.

Do you agree that it would help if the game could be sped up significantly? I’m just asking, not challenging your POV in any way. I’ll play golf no matter what, even four hours is too short to me on many good (weather, score, company) days. Golf will find a new equilibrium if necessary, it won’t outright die.

It would help, just not sure how you fix it. It's been a known problem for a long time but I haven't seen any good solutions. On a given day you can have 99 golfers that are fast and just 1 slow, it's the slow golfer that dictates pace of play for everyone else behind them. In my experience not so much a problem at clubs with memberships, peer pressure among members helps to move things along. At my club if you play early in the morning you'll get run over if it takes your group more than 3:30 to play a round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom