Has anyone tried MoviePass

DH bought the annual movie pass from Costco for $90 and he hasn't had any issues with using it so far. I did see the article quoting the CEO and I agree it was creepy. I think there was a follow up where they may have clarified their policy and it wasn't quite as outrageous as he made it sound at first. But he clearly didn't think things through before making those comments in public.

I’ve seen 16 movies this year on my $89 year MoviePass. By year end I will have saved over $700 on ticket costs. I’m good with this.
Glad you got good use of this. I'm not saying it's not a good deal. I am saying that they should be upfront about when and where they are tracking you. They are doing a lot more than they disclosed in their privacy policy. Giving the service they promised does not give them the right to do that.

I probably won't ever sign up again, but if I did I would try to use a Visa gift card, like the kind sold in the gift card racks at grocery stores, instead of letting them have one of my credit card numbers.

In our area we have $5 - $6 Tuesdays at most of the theaters, so we're going to back to doing that once or twice a month. We thought we would see more movies once we had the passes, but in hindsight it didn't turn out that way for us.

I probably won't ever sign up again, but if I did I would try to use a Visa gift card, like the kind sold in the gift card racks at grocery stores, instead of letting them have one of my credit card numbers.

In our area we have $5 - $6 Tuesdays at most of the theaters, so we're going to back to doing that once or twice a month. We thought we would see more movies once we had the passes, but in hindsight it didn't turn out that way for us.

+1
We see movies only on Tuesdays at anytime for $5 a ticket. See about 2 movies a month, so no interest for now in Movie Pass.

We love moviepass. The president said because of the uproar they have fixed the app so it is only tracking you while in the theater but no where else. You can also turn it off on your phone when not using it.

The DW loves her $90 movie pass from Costco. Yea, I wish they did not track the phone but, Google, Amazon, Trip Advisor, Yelp, Facebook, Gas Buddy, Android Auto, Weather App and Uber all know my every move. So welcome to the party.

On a positive note, the Early Retirement.org app does not track me! And as far as I know, the DW does not track me. But, I guess I need to double check my phone's location sharing settings just to be sure. :facepalm:

When we had the passes we were happy with the price and the value and never had any issues using the cards. The issue for us was they made it almost impossible to cancel. The app on the phones didn't seem to work, the help email address referred us to Zendesk, the Zendesk system gave us yet another automated email referring us back to the app, into what one Reddit user called an "endless cycle of non-support" which is pretty much the same complaints on the BBB site where they got their F rating. It was getting to be like the Hotel California song,

"Relax," said the night man
"We are programmed to receive
You can check-out any time you like
But you can never leave!"

Last edited:
We thought about it, but there are hardly ever any movies we want to see and our movies only charge seniors $5 anyway.

When we had the passes we were happy with the price and the value and never had any issues using the cards. The issue for us was they made it almost impossible to cancel. The app on the phones didn't seem to work, the help email address referred us to Zendesk, the Zendesk system gave us yet another automated email referring us back to the app, into what one Reddit user called an "endless cycle of non-support" which is pretty much the same complaints on the BBB site where they got their F rating. It was getting to be like the Hotel California song,

"Relax," said the night man
"We are programmed to receive
You can check-out any time you like
But you can never leave!"

Love that song, but yeah if we ever signed up, I would go the Visa gift card route.:cool:

You have no idea how much of your information is being sold / used by business to target you with marketing and sales pitches

Going down in flames

https://www.macobserver.com/analysis/moviepass-runs-out-of-money/
"MoviePass promised to be the perfect deal for hardcore movie going fans because you could see as many movies as you wanted for a flat monthly fee, and now we’re watching the company melt down in real time. The concern so many people had—that MoviePass couldn’t bring in enough money to sustain itself—started playing out over the weekend."

I've been trying to think of a current movie I'd go watch - even free, but YMMV.

Son uses it several times a week , he jokes that he can now afford the 9.00 popcorn

We don’t like public movie theaters, so we made sure we have excellent theater setup at home. Our 65” 4K OLED screen is really fantastic, so not looking for anything else.

I was tempted by the moviepass but held off. We see around 3 movies a month for $5 each all day Tuesday.

I just read yestersy that Moviepass is on the verge of bankruptcy. Be careful of what you sign up for!

Bought it about 6 months ago. Recently you can only see 3 movies a month which is fine. Then last week there has only been 1 movie we can see. We dropped it.

I bought an annual pass through Costco for $90. Easily made my money back over the last 8 months. MoviePass still honors 1 movie per day for annual passes - guessing its contractual so they have no choice. They do make us see 1 of 7 movies listed per day. The movies rotate so you have to go when the movie you want is showing but that's not a big deal for us since we’re FIRED!

Last edited:
I just read yestersy that Moviepass is on the verge of bankruptcy. Be careful of what you sign up for!

Yes, definitely looks like they are having serious problems....

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/moviepass-woes-continue-as-board-member-takes-a-sh/1100-6461499/

From article above......

After repeatedly changing its terms and availability of films, while also temporarily adding peak pricing surcharges for certain films and falling short when it comes to customer service, stock prices for MoviePass's parent company have plummeted. Now, after a class action lawsuit has been filed against the company by shareholders, there's even more drama.

Back
Top Bottom