Healthy adventure bucket list?

Take a 3 month bicycle trip across the USA, coast to coast, camping along the way, sticking to the back roads, not the big tourist destinations. I did that when I was young and it's an amazing way to really see the country.

Look at a site called "theadventurists". They have numerous "stupid" things to do that will be uncomfortable for you. Doing something like what they offer makes you quite aware of the standard living conditions here. Testing your mettle might not be what you are seeking, but trips like that tend to be most memorable for me.
Wow, really cool, I would LOVE to do one of their Rikshaw Runs :) Stupid maybe, but that's often part of fun. Have you done one of these?

Last edited:
Wow, really cool, I would LOVE to do one of their Rikshaw Runs :) Stupid maybe, but that's often part of fun. Have you done one of these?
Yes (Monkey Run Romania). I doubt I'll actually participate, but I've been training for the last many years on and off for the Icarus. Also, I had plans for a second Monkey Run, but the pandemic ruined it. I wanted to do the Rickshaw Run and other "team" adventures, but had a hard time finding a buddy as stupid as I was/am :LOL:. The my first adventure was solo, but it seems that everyone becomes your buddy, starting from the brain cell challenge party the day before the event starts. For the cancelled adventure, I convinced a buddy to go. We were all paid-up when the pandemic hit. He says he's ready to sign up for that same one (Puru).

Ballroom dancing, especially Tango and other latin dances.

Here's some tango scenes from movies:

Easy Virtue

Scent of a Woman

Antonio Banderas

Yes (Monkey Run Romania). I doubt I'll actually participate, but I've been training for the last many years on and off for the Icarus. Also, I had plans for a second Monkey Run, but the pandemic ruined it. I wanted to do the Rickshaw Run and other "team" adventures, but had a hard time finding a buddy as stupid as I was/am :LOL:. The my first adventure was solo, but it seems that everyone becomes your buddy, starting from the brain cell challenge party the day before the event starts. For the cancelled adventure, I convinced a buddy to go. We were all paid-up when the pandemic hit. He says he's ready to sign up for that same one (Puru).
Wow, that Icarus is way out there! I thought those Rickshaw Runs were pretty extreme already in their fun and stupidity, but that Icarus takes it to a whole new level. I suppose if you have been training for this, it means you must own all the equipment already. I mean, how to operate the Rickshaw you can pick up in a day or two at location, and flipping over and other mishaps is half the fun, and with the monkey run, I suppose the main thing you risk is a seriously bad back from the crazy riding position. But with this powered parasailing, any mishap may turn much more serious, and you really better know what you are doing and put in the time to become proficient. Maybe we need a special thread for all these "way way out there" bucket list items...

Last edited:
I have rafted the entire Grand Canyon twice - and it is a wonderful experience. Can be as physical as you want it to be - or not. The hiking is incredible as is the time on the river and crashing the rapids. It is a must do! GCWW is a great rafting company.

I have rafted the entire Grand Canyon twice - and it is a wonderful experience. Can be as physical as you want it to be - or not. The hiking is incredible as is the time on the river and crashing the rapids. It is a must do! ....

Agree 100% (although we only did it once, with O.A.R.S.).

I like to ride motorcycles, so if Canada cooperates this summer, we (wife & dog) plan to ride to Alaska. The Maritimes are also on the ride to list. Maybe down the road a moto trip to Central America and/or rent a bike in Europe.

Like to paddle and fish so a few more trips to the Boundary waters or Quetico are on the list.

I have rafted the entire Grand Canyon twice - and it is a wonderful experience. Can be as physical as you want it to be - or not. The hiking is incredible as is the time on the river and crashing the rapids.

Good point. I think most people don't really realize that it's not just a matter of going down the river. The guides know incredible places that they will take you hiking to, and that's half the fun of the trip. Ancient cliff dwellings, fossil footprints in the rocks, incredible vistas to photograph, and on and on. That's why we did it twice and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

When I turned 59, I rode a motorcycle from Nuevo Laredo Mexico to Emerson Canada in
23-1/2 hours. When I turned 69, I did a round trip ride from Texas to Alaska And back. When I was 77, I sailed from Houston to Key West and returned without ever dropping an anchor. With COVID, not sure what the next adventure will be but I’m getting itchy.

Good point. I think most people don't really realize that it's not just a matter of going down the river. The guides know incredible places that they will take you hiking to, and that's half the fun of the trip. Ancient cliff dwellings, fossil footprints in the rocks, incredible vistas to photograph, and on and on. That's why we did it twice and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Definitely on my list!

Me too. I’ve got it mapped out on Google Earth and have most of the gear and logistics figured out. DW has this irrational fear of camping among the world’s largest brown bear population. I haven’t found a workaround on that one. But she’s increasingly willing to let me go alone, providing I maintain the term insurance.

Bear spray? Or does that just make them mad?

Look at a site called "theadventurists". They have numerous "stupid" things to do that will be uncomfortable for you. Doing something like what they offer makes you quite aware of the standard living conditions here. Testing your mettle might not be what you are seeking, but trips like that tend to be most memorable for me.

Sarah from SC and her husband have done a number of these Adventurist trips. I support her spiritually, but that's about about it. They have had some amazing adventures. They did a Mongol Rally (or something like it) in an old school bus that turned into an around the world trip. They did something like the Rickshaw run in Peru (I think). But it was more of a motorcycle with a sofa on the back. That trip has been discontinued due to being too dangerous for a bunch of crazy people. Don I know has done one of the Icarus things. You can probably PM her if you want any more information.

I, on the other hand, am still dreaming of through hiking the AT. I think my time has passed, though. I could get in shape for it, but with my CV issues I think DW would just as soon kill me outright as let me go do that.

Great post! Already checking out some on the list for post COVID trip. Here are a few other ideas...not necessarily in order

New Zealand: Kayak in Milford Sound, preferably in the rain or just after (more waterfalls ...impossible to count!)

Australia: explore Western Australia by camper van and do the hikes and if you dive, check out Pete’s Pier.

Glacier Walk: consider doing this in Argentina. Cheaper and easier access than New Zealand. I was surprised to find out that folks over 50 weren’t allowed to do the longer hike.

Cruising - I know you said it’s for later in life...so did we. But, consider this:
- South America - worth doing while you are still young at least once, especially if you use as an alternative to flying to your destination. We took a cruise from Miami to Argentina via Panama Canal, Costa Rica, Peru, Chile, Antarctic Peninsula (worth it!) then spent 2 months (was 3 but cut short due to COVID) hiking Patagonia, the Lakes, And crossing the Andes Mountain on a double decker bus to/from Mendoza wine country

- Cruising by boat (sail or power) on your own and anchoring in remote places...currently in ours now, but also chartered a sailboat in New Zealand. Hope to do it in Europe in the near future

Diving (or snorkeling): Liveabord trip to Raja Ampat in Indonesia for amazing diversity of life. Went with Calico Jack for value, hope to do it again for service and quality of experience. Of course, diving in other places like the Caribbean and Pacific (Hawaii or Philippines) are great too. Australia wasn’t my favorite though

Donheff,

I had asked you about that before and it sounds like great trip. Hope you go this time.
Re: Grand Canyon raft trip. Absent any major crises this one should be a go. We are going with enough family and friends that we may fill two 14 seat boats. It should be great.

What I have already done, all in my 50's:

- Backpacked the Grand Canyon (6 glorious days and nights)
- Hiked the Alpine Pass in Switzerland (14 glorious days and nights)
- Hiked, backpacked, or snorkeled in 42 of our 63 currently designated National Parks (will add two more this summer)
- Run a marathon (not glorious!)
- Cycled a metric century, and a two day 'normal' century.

Bumped from 2020 was walking the Camino in Spain. We will reschedule as soon as possible. And we still plan to do the Coast-to-coast walk across England.

Last edited:
Great thread! I've got to try some of these. One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the opportunity to climb up a Mayan Pyramid. Site by site The Mexican government has been putting a stop to this over time to help preserve the ruins.

I was fortunate to be able to climb to the top of a Pyramid in Chichen Itza back in 1993, and was able to hike up a pyramid in Coba in 2018. I'm not sure if the government is still allowing the climb in Coba.

Last edited:
I had never run anything beyond a 10-K, so a marathon was definitely a bucket list item for me. Finally did my first one at 58, then a couple more over the next few years. Since then I've done about ten half marathons. If you train for it, a half marathon isn't that hard to do, and it has become an incredibly popular sport.

We did the Inca Trail (ending at Macchu Piccu) and climbed Mount Kilimanjaro before having kids in the same spirit of doing them while they're easier, and were rewarded. My bucket list includes biking the Great Divide Mountain Bike Trail, from Banff to the Mexican border at Antelope Wells, NM.

Biggest adventure I have coming up is a four-day gravel bicycle race in the Rockies this coming Summer. Course is not yet finalized, but should be approx 250 miles and 24,000 ft of mountains.

I’ve done several mountainous one day endurance races of up to 100 miles and many shorter races but never a multi-day stage race.

I’ll be racing against guys in the 50-60 year group. From experience, although fewer guys still compete at this age, the ones that do are wicked fast! I’m training like crazy this Winter to take my fitness to the next level.

After the event, wife and I will head over to Banff for a few days of recovery in the Summer sun.

.......... biking the Great Divide Mountain Bike Trail, from Banff to the Mexican border at Antelope Wells, NM.

I'm considering this.
My wife and I did some long distance touring when we were younger, both road and off-road. Our biggest obstacle now is attitude.
We love a good hard workout..... just not sure about stringing them together day after day under adverse weather conditions.
Now, if we could recapture some of the enthusiasm* of this young lady, we're in -
*A cocktail of EPO, T, MDMA and young blood transfusions might do it.

Re: Grand Canyon raft trip. Absent any major crises this one should be a go. We are going with enough family and friends that we may fill two 14 seat boats. It should be great.

Donheff,

I will look forward to your feedback!

Back
Top Bottom