Healthy adventure bucket list?

There was a thread on here discussing it at the time. It was called West Coast Fires if you want to look it up.

OK, thanks, I might do that.

Thinking back on the smoke cover in the valley, I was just glad my house is fairly airtight and inside air quality stayed fairly good.

It was a long two weeks waiting for that stagnant air to finally clear, though it was only that first/second day, when the day was as the night! The rest of the time at least you knew when the sun was up!

When it gets a bit warmer, couple of months, I'mma gonna do another Yosemite ride through. Takes all day on the motorcycle and I'm beat when I get home.

But it's like...that was a good ride!

Fly to Santa FE NM and check out the Jet Warbird Center. You can fly a number of former military Jets like a MiG-15 or a T-33

No, you actually fly the plane. Attached is the story of my flight

Fantastic! Not being a pilot myself, I would have not an inkling about such a thing being possible.

Nice you found out about the opportunity to put your pilot skills back to work. Must have been very gratifying, to say the least.

Well, between the two of us we’ve almost hiked the PCT from the Mexico border to Washington. I’ve done from the border to Castella at Castle Crags, which is 1500 miles. I have every intention of finishing the rest, good Lord willing. I’ve been doing long sections and started in 2017.
Muir

You might enjoy reading some of Colin Fletcher's books, if you haven't already.

He was a British trekker, who migrated to the US.

One book of his was called "The Thousand Mile Summer" and was an account of his hiking along the PCT.

Another, which was just fascinating, was "The Man Who Walked Through Time". He was the first to hike the length of the Grand Canyon "inside" the rim, and this book was his account of the trek. Also fascinating as a geological treatise on the Grand Canyon, as well as a history of the people who lived (and live) there and the explorers who came.

A third book was called "The River" about Fletcher's rafting down the Colorado.

"The man Who Walked Through Time" is one of my all time favorite reads.

My bucket list includes running a marathon, several century rides (100+ miles on a bike), nine long distance sail races (from 289 to 500 nm), and two 8-day Outward Bound trips. I’ll always remember those adventures.

I’ve also lived in (Germany & Okinawa) or travelled to many countries in Europe and Asia, definitely adventures in my book, at any age. I’ve always wanted to visit China, New Zealand and Australia - not sure I’ll ever make it happen. And if I was younger I’d consider the Eat, Pray, Love itinerary (Italy, India, Bali) to be the adventure of a lifetime.

Last edited:
I found it much easier to work on my so called bucket list before Covid (or as I call it the Great Disruption). In the fall of '14 at age 57 I flew from the east coast with a lady friend to Vegas. The next day we rented a pair of Harley's and rode through the southwest for 1300 miles over 5 days. We saw some of Rt66, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, Bryce and Zion to name a few. I did this trip when I was still working p/t, I figured that up to 300 miles a day on 800 pound bike and being out in the weather all day was not going to get easier as I got older.

I also took a p/t gig with a motorcycle tour company for a short time and got paid to take a trip on Rt66 from Chicago to Santa Monica Pier. It seemed like a dream side hustle but it was not, the work was near 24/7 and being the first responder to any bike accident was not my cup of tea. Most of the riders were foreign (language issues) and rider experience was sometimes minimal and thus high risk.

Since then I took trips to New Orleans to visit the National WW 2 museum and then followed that up with a Beyond Band of Brothers tour of WW2 battlefields from Normandy to Germany. That tour company folded up due to Covid. there were many full days with many miles of walking so I wanted to do it while I had the legs and lungs for it.

Covid has delayed or interrupted my plan to take a Snowmobile tour of Yellowstone and a trip to see the National WW 1 museum. I feel bad for people who are retiring into the pandemic we are going through, I fear it will be a long time before we get back to normal again and can travel freely.

Last edited:
My bucket list includes running a marathon, several century rides (100+ miles on a bike),...

I've ridden countless 100km 'centuries' and run two half marathons.

As a Canadian, I'm gonna call those goals accomplished metrically.

:LOL:

I loved hiking New Zealand, Japan, Andes, my backyard (Mt Diablo), walking Giants Causeway / whitewater in Alaska & California .... doing it while I still can

If you're not a regular runner, then I highly recommend using Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk method. I have completed 5 marathons, and my fastest times were for the races where I stopped to walk on a regular cadence. For me what happened was, instead of slowing down as the race progressed when I tried to run the entire distance, by stopping for short walking breaks all along, I maintained my target pace to the end. I improved by 15 minutes in my last race! You can apply Jeff's method to just about any marathon training plan. I run for 3 mins, and walk for 1 and now I do it all the time, even when I'm just running for exercise.

I concur! And I actually got to run/walk with Jeff Galloway at one of the Disney Princess halfs. THAT was an honor! He was dressed as a pirate (many people do these in costume).

New Zealand: Kayak in Milford Sound, preferably in the rain or just after (more waterfalls ...impossible to count!)

Well, if you do come to WNC for the waterfalls, you can take a waterfall boat tour on Lake Joccassee and see dozens (some say 75) waterfalls that can only be seen by boat.

Also - if any less physically robust people are reading this thread, we also have more than 100 waterfalls accessible by car or short walk! LMK if you want that link.

I'll be doing the Half Marathon Des Sables later this year - 120km run in North Africa, 4 days self-sustained.

The running part will be tough but for me the self-sustained part will be the biggest challenge - no electricity, buildings, A/C, running water, toilet paper, nothing other that what one can carry in a backpack. Only exception is they provide 10 liters of water a day.

I'll be doing the Half Marathon Des Sables later this year - 120km run in North Africa, 4 days self-sustained.

The running part will be tough but for me the self-sustained part will be the biggest challenge - no electricity, buildings, A/C, running water, toilet paper, nothing other that what one can carry in a backpack. Only exception is they provide 10 liters of water a day.

Wow! Impressive. Good luck! (Watch out for the Tuaregs.)

Last edited:
Hey Sengsational, is that a joke? Or did you mean to say length?

How did you feel about Ronstar's subsequent Key West comment? :LOL:

Hey Sengsational, is that a joke? Or did you mean to say length?

Either way, funny or wow, nice hike!
The entire journey was captured on video.

That's beyond impressive. Best of luck with it.

I know a guy who tried the full one twice, only made it a bit more than halfway once.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom