How early retirees make the world a better place

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
While many are critical of those who choose to retire early, I see many benefits to society. We have more time to take care of our families, tend to engage more frequently in volunteer work, and free up jobs for those who need them more. Any other thoughts on how early retirees make the world a better place?

I know that I make a better doggie daddy than when I was w*rking. :LOL:

Not as determined to run everyone else off the road just so they can get to work on time.

(I am getting seriously fed up with aggressive drivers on my way to and from work).

Amethyst

Our kid has really appreciated having us at her every whim, beck, & call for the latter half of her life.

I've mellowed out considerably, no longer leaving scorched earth and piles of bodies in my wake...

If spouse and I were working then I don't know when we would have made the time to start donating to charities.

I think we are better on the environment because we don't drive as much and have the time to recycle, etc.... We are good at neighborhood watching therefore crime decreases.

We are more relaxed, can sleep better and have more sex.

Mmmmm....don't know if the last sentence makes the world a better place or not....:whistle:

It's a small thing, but I do all my shopping and errands at off peak times. When we go out to eat, it's usually M-Th. These habits reduce road and retail store congestion.

In addition, I'm "semi-ER". The work I do is as a 1099 contractor. Folks who work this way add to the flexibility of the US labor force.

I now have the time to offer feedback to retailers. Sometimes it's a complaint, often it's a compliment. Regardless, it's accompanied by details and a suggestion. I did this a lot less when I was working.

Many early retirees have followed a LBYM philosophy. This often means cutting back on material goods which is much better for the environment. Some ERE's also have consciously decided not to have children which is the single best thing one could do for the planet.

Opening up jobs is a big deal nowadays. We start spending money instead of saving it. We start converting all those pensions, 401ks, IRAs, stocks, etc. into commerce infusing new money into the system without needing a job to generate it.

We travel and help travel related businesses. We probably are responsible for half the jobs in the RV industry.

Beyond the economy, we share out experience and expertise. Maybe through volunteering, consulting and contract work, blogging, forums, etc.

We are more relaxed, can sleep better and have more sex.

Mmmmm....don't know if the last sentence makes the world a better place or not....:whistle:

It definitely makes it better for us!!

While many are critical of those who choose to retire early, I see many benefits to society. We have more time to take care of our families, tend to engage more frequently in volunteer work, and free up jobs for those who need them more. Any other thoughts on how early retirees make the world a better place?

I don't have to repress the urge to cause physical damage to people or things.

I agree with many of the points already presented, but these quotes make me feel much better:
I've mellowed out considerably, no longer leaving scorched earth and piles of bodies in my wake...

It's good to know I'm not the only one.

E-R frequently replaces a burned-out, tired, cranky employee with a fresh, energetic one. Then the burnout case either takes some sorely-needed time off or starts out on a new endeavor, (or maybe both, one after the other), in the process becoming fresh and energetic!

Thus, E-R results in a net gain to the world at large, of one fresh, energetic person. :)

We keep this forum going.

Good points made by everyone, even if they don't necessarily apply to me.

I have been able to expand my hobbies which interact with other people (many of whom are also retired) so they benefit from my participation.

Not doing my awful and sickening commute on the trains also frees up a seat on said trains for another weary commuter who may have had to stand before. That lucky(?) commuter and I will never meet, of course, but I am sure s/he is thankful for the seat.

Any time someone comes up with the "early retirement = selfish" crap, I remind them of some of these things. In particular, in an era with 17% *real* unemployment, what is selfish about giving up a job so someone who needs it more can have it?

Ooh, ooh, I have another one!

We can hone our critical-thinking skills on the media's analysis of retirement finances, financial products, lifestyles, and demographic trends.

We keep the brewers and vintners solvent. Those still w*rking need stronger stuff.
:LOL:

Yes. Product development and improvement is essential to progress. I do my part to support those endeavors. Not to excess, of course, but a glass or two a day is reputed to be beneficial, and who am I to argue?

More time to play with new toys/ideas like digital photography. I'm still in the lower part of the learning curve with it, but I enjoy doing all the darkroom stuff without having to dedicate an entire room and five figures to it.

Does this mean you don't get the urge anymore, or you don't bother to repress it? :LOL:

We have the time and energy to watch local politics and keep our elected officials on their toes.

Does this mean you don't get the urge anymore, or you don't bother to repress it? :LOL:

Don't get the urge. I don't have to be anywhere.

Last edited:
Any time someone comes up with the "early retirement = selfish" crap, I remind them of some of these things. In particular, in an era with 17% *real* unemployment, what is selfish about giving up a job so someone who needs it more can have it?

Seems like those "ER is bad" threads come around every few months or so. At first I was defensive. Not anymore. Getting to know some of the people on this forum has taught me how fine a group is in "Club ER". :flowers:

It seems that in many cases half of the working world is working to create problems for the other half to solve, this in turning creating problems that the first half can solve. While there's a lot of activity in this strategy, it's hardly productive. One example: Two of the biggest American companies are in the business of selling junk food and cholesterol lowering drugs respectively. Effectively, they cancel each other out.

In my career, I spent a lot of time and was paid to solve problems that I don't really think very many people cared about (maybe 50-100, optimistically, probably closer to 5, realistically) and which I can not really see having much of any impact on the world at large. Not having to turn a profit makes it possible to focus on nonprofit contributions which otherwise would go unfulfilled. My compensation is now incidental to what I'm doing rather than the driving reason. I'm paid far less doing what I do as a "retiree", but I think I have a much larger and also positive influence in my current (a)vocation.

It seems that in many cases half of the working world is working to create problems for the other half to solve, this in turning creating problems that the first half can solve.

Very well said.

Back
Top Bottom