How to find a retirement spot

I'd like to retire somewhere in the US with a reasonable cost of living, where the houses are far enough apart that I don't need to see my neighbors if I choose not to, and where it's not too hot and not too cold. I'd also love to see mountains out my window - but that's just dreaming.

ever been to the Olympic peninsula?

From Find Your Spot | Find Your Spot

Hickory, North Carolina
Morganton, North Carolina

Hickory is right next to Morganton, and close to Boone which would get a strong vote from me too. Morganton is not bad either, only about 20 miles from Asheville, which has lots of arts and entertainment to offer. Three very good choices. I'd probably go with Morganton based on easy access to Asheville.

Last edited:
Most of the list is very valid. And I just about always disagree with every such list posted in magazines and online.

But Clarksdale, Mississippi--an armpit of the world with the #2 poorest county in the U.S. to the north? And Gainesville, GA--where English is a second language?

This is the thread where I don't trumpet how nice it is to retire where we retired.

This Eagles song lyric captures my philosophy:

"You call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye..."

Yuck. Id rather stay up here with a little snow than that heat.

that's why I moved - living on the gulf coast for 40 years was tough

I prefer cold steppe climates myself. We've been here for 5 years now and have found our FRP.

It's called the Hal income tax. It is being phased out over the next few years. Google it for specifics as it might not be an issue for you.

Starting 15 years or so before I retired, vacations were to destinations we were considering relocating.

Back
Top Bottom