I have no idea where to retire!

Help me out here.

I live in CA and like it but having lived here for over two decades I'm due for a change or is CA as good as it gets?

What are the main options for retiring locations. I can think of:

a) Island living i.e. Hawaii
b) Big City living i.e. DC
c) Off-the-grid i.e. a shack in Montana
d) Europe
e) Beach-side i.e. Florida

Or maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong! Help me out!

I don't have family in the US so am not tied to any one area.

You've already received lots of good advice in the posts above. FWIW, here's my advice after moving 32 times in 60 yrs, living in multiple US states and most regions (except New England) and in Europe multiple times.

1. Write down your criteria first; they will lead you to a list of places to investigate. I'd suggest a list of more than five places means you didn't do this step well enough.
2. Slow travel to as many of these places as you can but, don't take forever. You should be able to do this in 1-2 yrs.
3. Keep your California house until you select your location. It's very difficult financially to return to Cali after you sell real estate.
4. Purge your stuff until it hurts; then purge a bit more. Your retired life (well, actually all your life but, you know...) should be about experiences versus stuff.

Everyone has an opinion on the five places you list in your OP. I will just say that I've lived in one or more versions of all five of them, and they each have a "fatal flaw" so, be wise with your criteria.

We decided to return to the SF Bay Area after FIRE, despite COL, and I'm happy we did. We could afford it (with some adjustments) and, our closest relationships are here, which is what brought us back. Been here 6 yrs now and plan to stay for the foreseeable future.

Finally, as pointed out above, any decision is not final. You can always move again if it doesn't work out. But, deciding to return to California after selling your real estate would be very punitive financially.

Best of luck.

I'd spend a couple months renting in each area. I am also a NYC native in SoCal(on the coast) and I don't think the weather is better anywhere on Earth.

I'd spend a couple months renting in each area. I am also a NYC native in SoCal(on the coast) and I don't think the weather is better anywhere on Earth.
+1. My family member lived in a beach bungalow in Corona Del Mar, CA. Didn't need AC. Kobe and Dennis Rodman were frequent sightings since they both lived next door in Newport Beach.

Our first destination lasted for ten years until we moved in the same town but a bigger place closer to the ocean(12 minute walk down to 5 minutes). Nothing is forever!

DH and I made a list of places we thought we would like. Then took vacations. When one jumped out as THE PLACE we returned several times at different times of the year to see if it still felt right. It did, so we took the plunge, bought a house and for almost 4 years have gone back and forth. Now, full time and it hasn’t gotten old.

Explore, think about your priorities and have fun picking. As others have said, it’s not a one and done.

California is a tough act to follow. I'm constantly looking for areas that I might enjoy more than the San Francisco Bay area, but so far, haven't found it. I'm starting to think there's a reason home prices are so outrageous here.

California is a tough act to follow. I'm constantly looking for areas that I might enjoy more than the San Francisco Bay area, but so far, haven't found it. I'm starting to think there's a reason home prices are so outrageous here.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Hmmm. Small town, middle of Mississippi or Ventrua, CA. East Grand Forks, Minnesota or Palo Alto, CA. It's still location, location, location.

I have a couple of issues with Cali, but would consider it if the Hawaii thing doesn't work out. Of course, most of Cali that I would live is more expensive than the place I live in Hawaii, so there's that. Location......:facepalm: YMMV

Lived in the Bay Area for 35 years. Great place to live but we had our fill..plus people density was getting insane... and that was 10 years ago.

Moved to the Big Island after FIRE and much consideration. Housing was a wash from CA levels and other expenses seem on par. Gas is higher but you don't go terribly far before hitting water. Biggest challenges for a CA transplant are understanding fine dining and A-level entertainment isn't on the menu, things just take longer (eg, no 1-day Amazon delivery), shipping costs need to be thought of as a "paradise tax", and you'll likely need to fly to CA from time to time assuming you have roots there.

As others have said, your list is all over so spending extended time in each would be wise. We did that prior to retiring so we were ready to book outta CA.

I'm a son of the Deep South, and there's something to be said for living in the middle of the country--where we have both mountains and magnificent lakes within 1/2 hour. My city is full of rocket and missile scientists and engineers--very smart place.

I don't like paying taxes, and let me leave it at that for the politics. My wife & I have no property taxes which allows us to have a much nicer home.

And I like being in close proximity to 3 cities of 1 million+ people and a # of mid size cities. Nothing boring about a 75 minute run into the Music City and their 2,500 restaurants.

I sometimes watch City-Data.com and one of the favorite subjects is where to move. In the ultra LCOL southeast, the city that comes up time and time again is Cookeville, Tennessee--a college town 80 miles east of Nashville. The region has dozens of large waterfalls, virgin streams and two of the premier lakes anywhere.

a) Island living i.e. Hawaii--Very beautiful, but incredibly expensive place to live.
b) Big City living i.e. DC--I cannot stand big cities after 10 years living in Hotlanta.
c) Off-the-grid i.e. a shack in Montana--My wife requires more medical care than is commonly available there.
d) Europe--Not easy to get a Visa without payola of big $. Too many kids need us here.
e) Beach-side i.e. Florida--HOA fees, high property taxes and unbelievable homeowner's insurance rates more than offset the lack of state income taxes. Tennessee has no state income taxes and also cheap property taxes--something Texas cannot say.

And whoever would think that Huntsville, Alabama is the #3 fastest growing city (percentage wise) in the country--according to United Van Lines.

I’ve lived in Cookeville as a college student and South of Nashville. Both were great locations. Obviously more to do in Nashville but you would be close to Nashville within a 45 mile radius which I find a better option. This is a great recommendation. Taxes are lower as well in smaller towns outside of Nashville. Tennessee has no state income tax.

Visited Huntsville many times and a good option too.

For now, we are staying in Northern Va, a place we moved to twice during work years.

If we moved would probably be to Texas where we have family. But dramatic population growth in DFW takes some of the shine off, though we do love the heat, scorpions, snakes, bugs, thunderstorms, tornadoes and now the specter of the Deep Freeze! Great state though and great people.

We love the west and travel there a good bit after living in Scottsdale a few years. A bit worried about water out there though. But love the dry air and beautiful areas.

Ultimately we plan to just stay here till we find some place better.

Help me out here.

I live in CA and like it but having lived here for over two decades I'm due for a change or is CA as good as it gets?

I have something I made in excel that proved very helpful, and made it a easier to decide where to buy our retirement home for us. A few people on the site here have used it, if interested send a PM, and I will send it to you. Provides a weighted logical answer to the things you are seeking in a retirement area, and compares the towns you input.

Me2

Help me out here.

d) Europe

I was going back and forth about selling my house in Palm Springs and using the net proceeds to pay cash for a place and not have a house payment. But, prop 13 and humidity kept coming up in my thought process. With inflation in our future, (yes, the same 1979's inflation when we were seeing retirees across the country loosing their houses due to rising, run away real estate taxes) prop 13 is a Godsend. I have the same list of places as you. I have found I am able, and in the past 7 retirement years, content to travel to NYC, DC, SF, Portland, Phoenix, San Diego, LA and the California beaches, since I retired here. A month in Paris for my 60ieth got put on a back-burner due to cOVID. The grass may look greener, but I am ALWAYS glad I stayed in CA.

For now, we are staying in Northern Va, a place we moved to twice during work years.

If we moved would probably be to Texas where we have family. But dramatic population growth in DFW takes some of the shine off, though we do love the heat, scorpions, snakes, bugs, thunderstorms, tornadoes and now the specter of the Deep Freeze! Great state though and great people.

We love the west and travel there a good bit after living in Scottsdale a few years. A bit worried about water out there though. But love the dry air and beautiful areas.

Ultimately we plan to just stay here till we find some place better.

You forgot the dramatic rise in housing prices :)

Part of challenge of moving is all your friends and networks you built are left behind too. I can’t imagine moving and re-starting to build long-term friendships, unless it’s a Caribbean island!

I was going back and forth about selling my house in Palm Springs and using the net proceeds to pay cash for a place and not have a house payment. But, prop 13 and humidity kept coming up in my thought process. With inflation in our future, (yes, the same 1979's inflation when we were seeing retirees across the country loosing their houses due to rising, run away real estate taxes) prop 13 is a Godsend. I have the same list of places as you. I have found I am able, and in the past 7 retirement years, content to travel to NYC, DC, SF, Portland, Phoenix, San Diego, LA and the California beaches, since I retired here. A month in Paris for my 60ieth got put on a back-burner due to cOVID. The grass may look greener, but I am ALWAYS glad I stayed in CA.

Always wonder: If you can pass a "Proposition" (like 13) can you undo it with another proposition - or maybe even a super majority in the legislature? Locally, kupuna (elders - stretched to "retired" if you like) have lots of advantages tax wise. Most pensions plus SS are not state taxed (at the up to 10%+ levels of those w*rking). Property taxes are lowered by exemptions and HI already has the lowest property taxes/real value in the nation. BUT, every few years, the legislature makes noises about changing all this to something more "fair" - whatever that is. SO, just wondering how iron clad Prop 13 is. Folks here seem to think it's inviolate and set in stone, but I always wondered since YMMV.

DW's cousin grew up in the Bay Area, but recently moved to Reno (after retiring).

Proximity to Tahoe is a BIG plus

Just a thought.

I recommend getting the books “ This is Where I Belong” and “Home Sweet Home: How to Decide Whether You Should Stay or Go in Retirement”.

I hear Texas is a great state to live, members here speak highly of it.

:nonono: MichaelB, it's probably best not to believe everything you read on the Internet....

I am waiting for our Texas tourism adviser to chime in!!!!

Until he arrives, this says it all, IMO.

th

Last edited:
I wish to go up into the mountains somewhere in the northeast, closer to nature, lots of land, nice view, privacy, far away from the incessant noise and annoying people.

Always wonder: If you can pass a "Proposition" (like 13) can you undo it with another proposition - or maybe even a super majority in the legislature? Locally, kupuna (elders - stretched to "retired" if you like) have lots of advantages tax wise. Most pensions plus SS are not state taxed (at the up to 10%+ levels of those w*rking). Property taxes are lowered by exemptions and HI already has the lowest property taxes/real value in the nation. BUT, every few years, the legislature makes noises about changing all this to something more "fair" - whatever that is. SO, just wondering how iron clad Prop 13 is. Folks here seem to think it's inviolate and set in stone, but I always wondered since YMMV.

I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 40 years. I think I voted for the original Prop 13 and I certainly benefitted from it all those years. Yes, you can repeal it with another proposition. It has been proposed many times. Often the proposals are to remove prop 13 protection from businesses and keep it for homeowners. I moved to Thailand 4 years ago but if I was still in CA I would vote to keep it.

Last edited:
You forgot the dramatic rise in housing prices :)

Part of challenge of moving is all your friends and networks you built are left behind too. I can’t imagine moving and re-starting to build long-term friendships, unless it’s a Caribbean island!

Agree. And that's why any move for us would probably be to Texas or Arizona, where we have lived before and still have connections.

Help me out here.

d) Europe

Stay in California and go on long vacations. The best of everything.

Back
Top Bottom