Informed Delivery - a free new USPS service

They certainly won't show up on Monday��..I feel safe saying your mailbox will be empty

The cluster mailbox is a half mile + away down a steep grade. On low activity days, informed delivery lets me decide whether or not a trip to the box will be worthwhile.
To googily's point, USPS contacted me with the enrollment offer through the email linked to my account. I just logged in with my credentials and agreed to the terms.

Last edited:
Some years ago, I stocked up on stamps to avoid the price increase in future years.
I just checked my stash, and realized I have 1,500 stamps !! A lifetime supply.

As an investment it has worked out pretty well, over the past 10 years, the annualized increase in value has been 3% per year and it's tax free. :greetings10:

Yeah - it's getting to where we might only use stamps once a year. And we still have a stash of old as well as forever stamps. So we have been putting a string of old stamps when needed - messy, but already paid for! I think we have enough stamps to last for the next two decades!!!

Maybe you should sell half your supply!

Last edited:
Have been using the Informed Delivery service for well over a year now (and at 3 addresses) and it has been great. I can think of only a couple of pieces of mail that I was expecting, but didn't arrive...but they were delivered within a day or two. Our new home has a large mailbox that will "drop" the mail into a secure bin underneath after it's delivered, so now I only get the mail once a week or so, unless something "important" is being delivered.

When we moved the last time, there was an authentication issue, but that was resolved by them sending me a confirmation number to the new address (that had been confirmed via CC). It was kinda odd that when I first went to change it, they asked the verification questions that you see on occasion (credit report questions, such as creditors, estimated payments, etc.) but not a single question had information that was pertinent to me...it was as though they used someone else's credit report to ask the questions.

I signed up for this. A while back, using this service, I saw I had a letter coming from the IRS. Spent most of the day worrying about it, but it turned out to be nothing bad. A few other similar experiences after that and now I delete the emails without opening them. Maybe it will come in useful at some point but not so far.

The cluster mailbox is a half mile + away down a steep grade. On low activity days, informed delivery lets me decide whether or not a trip to the box will be worthwhile.

I like this aspect of it too. Also occasionally useful when expecting something perishable, then I know when it’s been delivered and should go down to the box.

........... A while back, using this service, I saw I had a letter coming from the IRS. Spent most of the day worrying about it, but it turned out to be nothing bad. A few other similar experiences after that and now I delete the emails without opening them.........
This is a great strategy, but why stop at deleting the emails? Just throw away the letters, too. They can only bring bad news.

Last edited:
Are people paying for this? I signed up, have been getting the e-mails but was not aware they were charging for it. I have a USPS account with a CC on file as I run a home hobby business and ship lots of stuff. I just logged into my CC account and didn't see any USPS charges.

I like the service. Pictures of all the junk mail that I am going to dump in the paper recycle bin later in the day...

This service at my street address is now confirmed (I asked to receive the verification code by paper mail, which didn’t take long).

Next up: a box located at the town post office that I opened prior to moving here (a really big help while in the process of moving and settling in). I didn’t realize you have to register separate USPS accounts to get Informed Delivery for two separate addresses (home and P.O. box), but that’s pretty painless.

This service finally paid dividends for me this week in that I am able to skip my usual weekly trip into town to check my post office box. Already knew there was nothing of interest waiting!

Occasionally I receive an email that says there’s a piece of mail for which there’s no scanned image. I’m guessing, but don’t know for sure, that signals junk mail or similar.

Occasionally I receive an email that says there’s a piece of mail for which there’s no scanned image. I’m guessing, but don’t know for sure, that signals junk mail or similar.

In my experience, it’s non-first class junk mail, an item somewhat larger than about 6x6 inch (large envelope, catalog) or something that just got missed by the scanner. The latter doesn’t seem common.

In my experience, it’s non-first class junk mail, an item somewhat larger than about 6x6 inch (large envelope, catalog) or something that just got missed by the scanner. The latter doesn’t seem common.

Ah! Thanks, sounds like what I'd guessed. I happen to have one of those waiting in my PO box so I'll find out. Next week. Maybe. :D

I needed to send a check to our daughter in LA and having read the thread here on check washing I decided to send it tracked but not needing to be signed for. Costs a little extra, uses the Post Office here and the US Post Office. Our experience over the years living in the USA was that when we sent cards to England it took about 5 days, but folks sending us cards took about 2 weeks from the UK postmark, hence our kids usually received birthday cards from the UK well after the day.

This tracked letter confirmed that it is the incoming US sorting facility that is probably the culprit. I sent the letter on February 4th and it arrived in LA on February 6th, then sat for 8 days before moving to another sorting office and finally was delivered on the 17th. I have email notifications set up for each time it “moves” and I’m still getting emails saying that it is in the system but not yet delivered even though DD says she received it, and the money came out of our US bank account today. Here is yesterday’s email, edited to remove my name and the tracking number.

Attachments

• 16732E8E-AA65-421C-A388-A917FBD68B55.jpeg
    16732E8E-AA65-421C-A388-A917FBD68B55.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 26
I've been using Informed Delivery for just under 2 years. It's a mixed bag and I am now aware of Post Office fails I did not previously see. There's no way to know how common this was before. As an example, a certified letter recently appeared in the morning scan but was not delivered for another 8 days. When we are away seasonally our mail is forwarded, and we see exactly how long it takes to forward the mail - up to 3 weeks.

With the USPS online account I can also see and track any package with tracking mailed to my address as soon as it enters the system.

So, Informed Delivery is a double edged sword for the USPS, and an occasional new source of irritation for me. On the positive side, though, it's helpful to track mail, especially when I spend so much time away from home.

One thing I hadn’t thought of is the possibility of incorrectly-handled mail in the final step: by the carrier to a residence or employees at the P.O. station for boxes. It doesn’t happen frequently here, but it happens.

In the case of misdelivered mail to my P.O. box, it’s up to me to recognize and place the piece in a special slot for that purpose. If I don’t, well...

I guess the scan happens before that and could help the actual intended recipient know.

Overall, a better informed system is a step forward for the public.

I guess the scan happens before that and could help the actual intended recipient know.

Overall, a better informed system is a step forward for the public.

It is scanned through the automation/sorting process (called MICT), not prior to delivery. They started these scans after the anthrax mailings of 2001.

Last edited:
It is scanned through the automation/sorting process (called MICT), not prior to delivery. They started these scans after the anthrax mailings of 2001.

Thanks for the link that provides background. The references in the Wikipedia article (NYT) indicate the scans are done prior to physical delivery to the addressee, which makes sense to me.

When I get that message it is almost always the weekly flyers and adverts packages

When I get that message it is almost always the weekly flyers and adverts packages

Any of the bulk mail won't be scanned. Originally it was only First Class mail, but I don't know if that's the case anymore since I know I get a LOT of post-card advertisements that are scanned.

What will us retirees do for fun now?!?

Going to the mailbox was entertainment. If you already know what's going to be in there, where's the fun in that?

What will us retirees do for fun now?!?

Going to the mailbox was entertainment. If you already know what's going to be in there, where's the fun in that?

You don't have to open the email...so it can be a surprise!

For me, it's a God send. At our last home, if I wanted to check the mail, I had to do it after 11:30 at night. Otherwise, I would almost certainly be "caught" by my neighbor who would immediately run outside to meet me and tell me all about how the world was going to end under the "ruling" politicians. So, the 45 seconds it took to check the mail would turn into a 15 minute complaint session. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom