6 pages and a stamped envelope is 1.06oz , extra stamp!

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Mailing in some documents and when I weighed my standard #10 envelope I mail most items in, and I noticed it comes in .07oz over the 1oz limit of a stamp.

Sooo...I get to add another stamp, effectively burning 93% of it's value. I wonder If business shipping would solve this minor wasted expense??

Talk about recycling dryer sheets, right? I want the full value of my postage thank you! If only I could have fit it onto 5 pieced of paper...

This is the envelope that comes with a peel away seal and the blue printing inside which likely weighs more than a plain ole white one!

Mailing in some documents and when I weighed my standard #10 envelope I mail most items in, and I noticed it comes in .07oz over the 1oz limit of a stamp.

Sooo...I get to add another stamp, effectively burning 93% of it's value. I wonder If business shipping would solve this minor wasted expense??

Talk about recycling dryer sheets, right? I want the full value of my postage thank you! If only I could have fit it onto 5 pieced of paper...

This is the envelope that comes with a peel away seal and the blue printing inside which likely weighs more than a plain ole white one!

Either squeeze it onto fewer pages (smaller font, signle spacing, etc, or buy lighter paper stock for pages and envelopes. Back in the day, you could buy special "airmail stationary and envelopes with much thinner (lighter) stock. Not sure what the cost of those is - probably much cheaper to just spend the extra stamp, but hey, I don't blame you for maximizing postage - I still keep stamp denominations of 1, 2, 3, 5, 10 cents just for those few special cases.... ridiculous, I know, but that's what I do. :LOL:

In the end, there has to be a cutoff and if you are above it, then you pay - fair enough

If you have to use a 2nd stamp, why not just send it in two envelopes, get more bang for your buck? :)

0.07 oz? Weigh it before adding a stamp. The stamp might weigh more than that!

They'll never notice .07oz. More likely to flag it if the envelope is too thick.

On a related story, I finished my all paper Federal tax return several years ago. About 18 pages if I remember correctly. Yes, I know, I'm a dinosaur doing paper returns. I took the envelope to the post office to get weighed and buy proper postage. Done, or so I thought. Fast forward a month later, the envelope shows back up in my home mailbox looking like it was run over several times, with a notice of insufficient postage. Fortunately, I sent it in early enough the first time so I didn't need to worry about missing the deadline sending it a second time.

So, back to the post office I go, asking what was going on. The clerk weighed it again and said that proper postage was affixed the first time and he would take care of it with no additional charge. He put it in some certified USPS official envelope that required no postage and sent it on. Then he made a statement about how the post office was hiring anyone who had a pulse and no one was training them and they were all left to try to figure out things on their own, so expect more mistakes as time goes on. His volunteered that his retirement date was set for a couple of months in the future and he was counting the days till he was free. Sounded like an ER member at that point.

Anyway, from then on for Federal tax returns, I've used certified mail, return receipt requested. It takes about 4 weeks to get the return receipt but at least it's documented.

Last edited:
They'll never notice .07oz. More likely to flag it if the envelope is too thick.

^^ THIS ^^

Before there was USPS Ground Advantage, there was USPS First Class Package. This was for packages under 1 lb. If the package was over 1 lb. shipping via USPS Priority Mail was indicated.

I would routinely send packages that weighed 16.25 or even 16.5 ounces and never a peep from US Postal Service.

Print with toner saver enabled. Lol.

Printing double-sided. Yes, I am that cheap.

You could trim all the blank margins too.

I feel your pain.. 5 pages were the limit our office manager would allow in 1984. I wasn't Shakespere and kept my letters short. This was when we typed letters in a typewriter with carbon paper.

You know what I learned?, if I couldn't get my point across in 5 pages of cheap, thin paper, I couldn't do it in 6 or 7 pages either.

Postage was 17 cents then.

We got a postage meter to avoid paying too much bit i think Pittney Bowes still beat us after paying rent.

If you have to use a 2nd stamp, why not just send it in two envelopes, get more bang for your buck? :)

I thought about it... but I really didn't want to overload the cargo plane with extra weight! :greetings10:

I feel your pain.. 5 pages were the limit our office manager would allow in 1984. I wasn't Shakespere and kept my letters short. This was when we typed letters in a typewriter with carbon paper.

You know what I learned?, if I couldn't get my point across in 5 pages of cheap, thin paper, I couldn't do it in 6 or 7 pages either.

Postage was 17 cents then.

We got a postage meter to avoid paying too much bit i think Pittney Bowes still beat us after paying rent.

Hahahah, what a great story!

Throw a couple more pages in there. Add a personal note.

It was info sent to the IRS... and you are right. A missed opportunity to send a couple page letter to them saying hello and telling them how I REALLY feel! :D :dance:

On a related story, I finished my all paper Federal tax return several years ago. About 18 pages if I remember correctly. Yes, I know, I'm a dinosaur doing paper returns. I took the envelope to the post office to get weighed and buy proper postage. Done, or so I thought. Fast forward a month later, the envelope shows back up in my home mailbox looking like it was run over several times, with a notice of insufficient postage. Fortunately, I sent it in early enough the first time so I didn't need to worry about missing the deadline sending it a second time.

So, back to the post office I go, asking what was going on. The clerk weighed it again and said that proper postage was affixed the first time and he would take care of it with no additional charge. He put it in some certified USPS official envelope that required no postage and sent it on. Then he made a statement about how the post office was hiring anyone who had a pulse and no one was training them and they were all left to try to figure out things on their own, so expect more mistakes as time goes on. His volunteered that his retirement date was set for a couple of months in the future and he was counting the days till he was free. Sounded like an ER member at that point.

Anyway, from then on for Federal tax returns, I've used certified mail, return receipt requested. It takes about 4 weeks to get the return receipt but at least it's documented.

Hehehhehe, you had me rolling here! Sounds like my post office.

Are the originals single-sided? If so, copy them to double-sided and reduce total pages by 50%. You're welcome. :greetings10:

Sooo...I get to add another stamp, effectively burning 93% of it's value.

You could add 24 cents of additional postage if you had those denominations lying around.

Once a year when I mail tax returns, I gleefully use two first class forever stamps just in case. My version of BTD.

Back
Top Bottom