Keeping Professional Certifications after RE?

I guess they could cancel your license to practice law in NY. :LOL:

Yep! But peeking on over there it looks as if there is a bit of a difference between cancellation (suspension) and termination with extreme prejudice (disbarment) ! I found a sample motion on the website for the Appellate Division First Department for attorneys requesting reinstatement. Not surprisingly, one of the exhibits is a receipt showing payment of all past due fees.:LOL:

I’m retired. Period. Since then I worked on destroying history/accolades that are no longer relevant. When my folks passed away I remember the emotion as what to do with their licenses, etc. Personal choice that depends on circumstances.

My CPA certificate is inactive (has been for year as I didn’t practice public accounting). I stayed in a few networking groups for a few months, but quickly realized that I’m not interested in going to CFO meetings and things of that nature. I do help any recruiters who contact me with referrals if I can, but don’t make any attempt to maintain a professional network other than keeping in touch with people I worked with who are also friends.

I haven't read all of this- have been traveling in India (how's that for a flamboyant excuse?), but my professional society has a good solution. I'm a retired actuary and no longer have to pay dues since I no longer make any money from actuarial work. I may keep the designation but I haven't met Continuing Ed requirements so I can't do most work, which is fine with me.

I attended one meeting since retiring- in Toronto- because I liked the destination and we get a good break on the hotel room costs. Retired members used to be able to get free registration (including a few meals and some cocktail receptions) but now there are so many retired Baby Boomers guzzling free booze that we have to pay 50% of normal registration. I truly enjoyed meeting people I've known for decades and noticed with some amusement that the ones who were still in "rainmaking" mode greeted me cordially and then went looking for better prospects.

There's a meeting in Honolulu in late 2019 and I'll probably attend- haven't been to Hawaii and my favorite cruise line has a 7-day between Honolulu and Molokai.

Funny thread this morning..I too am at a crossroads with my certification: PHR in HR. It was a very hard certification to pass and the thought of letting it lapse is a very odd feeling. It seems that leaving work was less stressful than letting the certification expire. I would have to study and take the test again once it expires and honestly that is not for me anymore. Still....it is an odd feeling. But not as odd a feeling as going back to be an HR Director....yeah...never again!

Never giving up my general contractors license. Ever. It can be transferred to a new qualifier upon my demise. Too hard to get and too valuable to give up.

Never giving up my general contractors license. Ever. It can be transferred to a new qualifier upon my demise. Too hard to get and too valuable to give up.

I wish I could sell my designations and licenses.

I get it, too. Am an active member of the Bar in five states. (Most practicing lawyers are active in one, maybe two.) Have been torturing myself trying to decide which ones to let go. Can’t imagine cutting off all five. But any more than two is a waste. I could move to another state in retirement but am highly unlikely to change states twice.
I am admitted in 3 states. I expect I'll stay active for at least a few years while I test the retirement waters, then go on retired status. It's less than $1000 per year.

I let my multi state architectural license lapse, as well as a national certification as a architectural plans examiner. Once I ER'd, I knew I wasn't going to go back to it.

I am letting my PE (in another state, far, far away) lapse at last.

I never stamped anything. I don't even own a stamp.

However, it has helped me many, many times find work around the world. In my business, a PE seems to be rare and a US PE gets respect.

It has been costing several hundreds every two years.

I happen to be working part-time 12 minutes from home now. The PE helped. Instant street cred.

This is the end, though. It is hard to leave. I had a lot of fun. There still are neat jobs out there but I am not going to die in a damn chair. I want to play.

I thought I would keep my PMP certification for several years
after I retired. I went to one project management seminar
day (earning continuing education credits) and somewhere during
the day it hit me that I've left this world - I was never going to be
formally managing projects again. Shortly thereafter, I reverted to
inactive status - no more need to pay or to earn Professional Development
Units - felt very "free"ing!!!

Old thread but its something that I have been seriously thinking about. At one time I had way more letters after my full name than in it... Many years back I started letting some drop... All my Fire, Rescue and Instructor Certs since I didn't need them to "Work". Didn't re-cert my National Registry Paramedic about 10 years ago... My state medic is good till 2025, but there are 5 others due every year or two (about 50 Hrs a Yr) that need to be maintained just to work PT at the service I retired from.

I finally have to let my RN license go this year, have not worked enough hours to qualify. My last on call work was early 2021, so I guess I really am retired now.

It's a good thing, but kinda tough on the heart.

I will always be a "nurse", just can't legally practice anymore!

Just retired my physician assistant license -had it for 25 years.
I worked last in may 2016.
$500+ to renew again.
I cant earn more than $1200/month working with my pensions, my old boss wanted me to on board new providers 2-4 days a month ,but the part time hourly rate is $100 per hour so 1.5 days working and I would be over budget day 2.

Last edited:
I thought I would keep up my active bar memberships for a couple years, but after about 6 months, I concluded that I was unlikely ever to practice law again, so I took retired status in all three state bars. I can reinstate my active membership if I choose.

I notified the state licensing board of my desire to switch to inactive status right away after last day on the job. My rationale was that if I felt the need to stay active, I should just be honest about not being ready to retire.

It's a good thing, but kinda tough on the heart.
I will always be a "nurse", just can't legally practice anymore!

Totally understand... But at least we are covered by the Good Samaritan Laws should we come across something... just do the basics...

Thanks to the teacher shortage, I was able to get a two year extension for my certification. I was thrilled, and I'm going to con some of the places where I sub into letting me do professional development, so I can renew mine when the extension is up. I can't see myself ever returning to teaching full time, but one never knows.

I had several IT certifications that I was able to maintain for about 6 months after retirement. After that, though, it just seemed like too much work and I let them expire. I Without a monetary incentive I had little motivation to expend the effort needed to maintain them.

Back
Top Bottom