Kramer's got something

Whew. I thought you meant an exotic disease.
I am enjoying the double entendre :)

So far, everywhere I have lived seemed to have a pretty favorable view of the USA: Mexico, Colombia, Thailand, Philippines.

I was surprised to see Jordan at only 14%, a country I have been considering visiting.

I am not sure how valid these surveys really are, though. Or if scoring highly is even a useful, counter-productive, or worthy goal.

A FILIPINA in typical attire:

33wb7d2.jpg

Not surprising that Philippines favors the US. They used to be a commonwealth of the US for about 50 years before they were given back their independence.

I read that there is a possibility that they will invite us to re-open Subic Bay. I wonder if this might have anything to do with the Chinese Navy's recent interest in cruising through the straights and passages over that way?
Ya think? :LOL:

Not surprising that Philippines favors the US. They used to be a commonwealth of the US for about 50 years before they were given back their independence.
I don't think that means much. Panamanians are not particularly friendly to the US even though they have a similar relationship and owe their very existence to the US.

I suspect that many countries in the South China Sea now sense the hot breath of the Chinese on their neck, hence the change in sentiment towards the US. Even the Vietnamese Communists should be scared of their former comrade.

The Filipinos have invited the Americans back, but not for permanent bases (nor does the US want that). But the US is docking way more ships (and subs?) there in the past year. Also, the US has just started permanently storing war materiel and supplies there for the first time since the bases were closed. And they are doing more joint war games on air, land, and sea.

And yes, it has *everything* to do with the Chinese. However, the Philippines and the USA are good friends, now and hopefully forever. But contribution-wise, the relationship is as asymmetrical as it could possibly be.

The Philippines, an island nation, has virtually no navy or air force power to speak of. The military was ignored over the past few administrations owing to widespread corruption. This problem is being addressed by the current president, both in rooting out corruption and starting a program of rebuilding the military.

And yes, it has *everything* to do with the Chinese. However, the Philippines and the USA are good friends, now and hopefully forever. But contribution-wise, the relationship is as asymmetrical as it could possibly be.
You are there, and as I remember you have facility with Tagalog. So I gladly defer to your opinion. To me the Filipinos have a lot to contribute--strategic geography may be getting very important again.

I have a hard time with the love for the former occupiers theory, although we did replace some bad news bears, first during the Spanish American War, and again in WW2. But characteristically former colonies are mostly hostile to their former occupiers. When the bigger countries become useful again, as the French in Mali today, and perhaps the US in the Philippines, attitudes can change. The Philippines has been a great duty for generations of American sailors. I can remember when I was a boy watching fascinating movies that my uncles made in the occupation after WW2.

Ha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom