Lawrence, KSd

Turn_the_Page

Recycles dryer sheets
We just spent a few days in Lawrence, looking at it as a potential retirement spot. DW is a KU alum, so she's a pretty easy sell. I'm a Longhorn and texas native, so it's a bit more of a sell for me.

We've been living in the upper MIdwest (Iowa) for almost 9 years, so the winters don't scare me especially with no job to worry about. I like the change of seasons and enjoy seeing the snow, especially when I'm not moving it with a shovel.

Getting around is quite easy, roads are in good shape. Lots going on in town with the college there. Good health care. Plus Kansas City is less than an hour away, almost anything you want is there.

I'm am still getting over the hurdle re- active adult community. Meaning there's not really one in Lawrence. I'd like to not worry about someones screaming kids next door and the idea of being in a community with a lot of other retirees appeals to me. Robson Ranch near Denton, TX is high on our list for this reason.

But, we really like Lawrence and it's not like we hate kids or anything. We're still talking about it. I suppose if we get in the right neighborhood, we'd be set.

It's also appealing that Lawrence is 6-7 hours away by car.

Any advice is appreciated.

From what I've heard, Lawrence is a mini-Austin. Can't say how it is for retirees. Friends of mine from CT (still working) say that it's a bit slow, but probably not compared to Iowa. I'd rent first unless you can visit enough to find that right neighborhood.

There is Frisco Lakes in Frisco also. It is similar to Robinson Ranch.

Great town. Get what you mean about RE there. You can always get to a rural(read your own space) setting pretty easy there. Have you given any thought to KS. vs. TX. taxes? Only other negative to KS. is winters sometimes come with ice.

MRG

We prefer the age restricted communities for the reasons you mention but more so because of the social opportunities and activities / facilities. Living in a neighborhood where most people are still working when you're retired can make it difficult to find the camaraderie that is readily available in retirement areas.

Robson Ranch is a very nice community.

Back
Top Bottom