Life After Golf?

Hello fellow golfers,

Although not retirement related (about 40-something days until my FIRE), had to post that today I recorded my first ACE. A 170 yd, 4-hybrid shot witnessed by the Mayor of Koenigstein (they call him the Burgermeister - I'm here in the beautiful Oberpfalz region of Bavaria) and a fellow Army Officer (Dentist). Had to wait about 20 yrs of near misses, lip-outs, etc. to finally get my first Hole-In-One. Too bad there wasn't a Porsche, BMW, or other nice car to be won w/ this ace.

I did buy the guys a big German beer to celebrate.

Hope I don't have to wait another 20 yrs before the next one!

Hello fellow golfers,

Although not retirement related (about 40-something days until my FIRE), had to post that today I recorded my first ACE. A 170 yd, 4-hybrid shot witnessed by the Mayor of Koenigstein (they call him the Burgermeister - I'm here in the beautiful Oberpfalz region of Bavaria) and a fellow Army Officer (Dentist). Had to wait about 20 yrs of near misses, lip-outs, etc. to finally get my first Hole-In-One. Too bad there wasn't a Porsche, BMW, or other nice car to be won w/ this ace.

Congrats! I waited 25 years for my second.:( But I know one old retiree that has 8 of them, and he was never a great golfer. Most came when he retired. So maybe we will rack up more as a retiree. Certainly a lot more opportunities for another. I made my 3rd just 2 months into my retirement. But two years later, I'm still waiting for the 4th.:blink:

Good going OMA! I'm still waiting and right now I am thinking the hole is pretty safe with the way I am hitting the ball.....but the season is young!

Hello fellow golfers,

Ausgezeichnet!

I don't have one yet, but as I'm about to start playing 2 or 3 times a week, I will remain ever hopeful.

Really never thought I was going to get one. Had a few hole outs from the fairways with full swings and I left a lot of shots near the hole on par 3s. It truly is a nice thing to experience - and have witnesses to boot. I play a lot of rounds alone (enjoy the solitidude) - thought my first ace would be while on one of those rounds.

I've been playing golf for 30 years, and only have 5 near misses to boot. I have holed in for eagles on par 4's and par 5's countless times. I missed an albatross on a long par 5 once by 4 inches..........:)

I've been playing golf for 30 years, and only have 5 near misses to boot. I have holed in for eagles on par 4's and par 5's countless times. I missed an albatross on a long par 5 once by 4 inches..........:)

"eagles and countless times".....well I can count mine easily on one hand :blush: but I never expect to experience an albatross! What a thrill to even come that close! That stat is one that only a long ball hitter will ever see!

"eagles and countless times".....well I can count mine easily on one hand :blush: but I never expect to experience an albatross! What a thrill to even come that close! That stat is one that only a long ball hitter will ever see!

I made a mistake, I meant a fair number of times......:blush: I played a lot on a short executive par 3 with short par fours, like 260 yards. We would hit it near the green and try to make the chip. When you play 5 times a week for 4 years that's a lot of rounds.

Age is catching up to me. Every year I keep track to see how long of a par 5 I can get on in two. My personal record is 560 yards, a driver and a 3 wood on the green. My best last year was 530 yards. I suppose I can only go downhill from here......:nonono:

I consider a LONG par 5 anything over 520 yards........:LOL::LOL: The near albatross was driver and 5 wood, all my playing partners thought it was going in because it rolled at the hole like a putt......:)

I was a very competitive golfer in the late 80's, early 90's. Then kids came along and work got busy. I was not enjoying myself because I was not able to play at the same level and a friend brought up the point that if I wasn't having a good time, why don't I quit. So I did. Then the realization that ER was possible, but what was I going to do all day. So I started golfing again and I definatly have not improved after a 15yr layoff. But I am now having a great time just being out there with my friends. I use to play around scratch, now my index runs between 6-8. But I'm enjoying myself more.

Being out on the golf coarse with my friends, even playing poorly, is much better than being at work.

Keep at it and I'm sure you can work some of your swing problems out. It doesn't sound like you are off much. I know one of my problems is when I start thinking to much about my swing I start steering it. The swing plane may look OK, but I don't release the club.

good luck.

I think I'm going to have problems finding affordable golf - if I want to play daily. Most places will cost $3k/yr with cart unless I play on military course (45 min drive).

I retired from the Navy in Dec 08, and my dream job would be working on a golf course.

I started working at the local Air Force Base GC a couple of months ago. I work in the pro shop and it is easy work for $8.00/hr. While I don't get free golf, it's fun being around golf, plus...with the green fees only $12, it's basically like working for my green fees. :)

Quite a few contractors want me to put in my resume for a logistics job, but so far I have been fighting the urge! I enjoy what I am doing so far! While I would make more money, they deploy and travel 75% of the time! I had enough of that for the last 20+ years!

Retired and keeping scores... what am I missing!!??!!

Once I'm able to punch out for the last time, the only score I'll be watching is making sure I don't run out of money :)

I recently left my private club because the cost was getting out of line for me. With the monthly fees plus cart plus dining room minimum my cost to play golf was $48 per round. I just couldn't justify the cost. The $48/round was based on playing three times per week. I don't want to play three times per week especially in the summer when its 90 degrees in the shade at noon. I left my club to join a bunch of guys I played with earlier at my club. We play different courses twice a week and average about $28 per round. In Florida in the summer, they are actually giving away the courses. I'm keeping records this year to see where I stand. In 2008 I spent $5629 not counting my trip to Myrtle Beach (about $1000). I'll see how I do this year.

I recently left my private club because the cost was getting out of line for me. With the monthly fees plus cart plus dining room minimum my cost to play golf was $48 per round. I just couldn't justify the cost. The $48/round was based on playing three times per week. I don't want to play three times per week especially in the summer when its 90 degrees in the shade at noon. I left my club to join a bunch of guys I played with earlier at my club. We play different courses twice a week and average about $28 per round. In Florida in the summer, they are actually giving away the courses. I'm keeping records this year to see where I stand. In 2008 I spent $5629 not counting my trip to Myrtle Beach (about $1000). I'll see how I do this year.

My local course has a family membership for $1500 a year. If both my sons want to learn the game, that will turn out to be cheap. However, with just me and or DW, no way, I can play a LOT of golf for $1500........

I've been doing the punch card thing at a couple nice local par 3s. Have been playing with getting a Monday-Thursday membership at a larger course for $925/year that is reasonably close by. But I usually find I golf most in the Spring and Fall, so I havn't pulled the trigger yet.

I just took a job as a marshal at a local muni that has two courses. Free golf most of the time (paying customers first so no prime time weekends during the summer), free range balls and discounts to glore.

Hopefully I won't work too much but if I do work I make a whopping 8+ an hour! :ROFLMAO:

Should make my spending on golf nearly transparent which was the goal!

I just took a job as a marshal at a local muni that has two courses. Free golf most of the time (paying customers first so no prime time weekends during the summer), free range balls and discounts to glore.

Hopefully I won't work too much but if I do work I make a whopping 8+ an hour! :ROFLMAO:

Should make my spending on golf nearly transparent which was the goal!

Boy would I relish a job like that! I love being at a golf course even if I'm not golfing. Just a great atmosphere. Guess I'm too old now. Things have changed around here for cart boys, starters and rangers. Work eight hours and get a free round of golf. Used to be you got free golf no matter what you worked.

My golf game suffered from a 15 year layoff. I grew up playing at a country club, became a 1 handicap and won the club championship 8 times. I left the club during divorce and for 15 years played from 4-20 times a year at public courses. I totally lost my game playing so infrequently. Last June I joined a new country club and am now a 8 handicap. My long game is as good or better then ever (thanks to improvements in equipment), however my short game is pathetic. I will give you an example, I played in the Presidents cup tournament a few weeks ago. I shot an 84 with 41 putts. I am currently trying the claw putting grip to keep my right hand out of the stroke.
Anyway addressing your problem with the long game, I found Jim Hardey's 4 DVD set on the one and two plane swings invaluable. I have worked on the one plane swing for almost a year and am now hitting it much more solid and straight. I stuck with this technique, because I noticed immediately a more athletic swing and better distance. I am 55 and can still drive it over 260 with ease. It has taken me a while to incorporate my own version of Jim's stance. I do not bend over as much at address as he recomends. I hope this is of value. I would hate to see you give up a game that you were so good at. Try to take pleasure in walking and being out in a beautiful environment. That helps me on days when the club feels like an anvil.

Jeff

My local course has a family membership for $1500 a year. If both my sons want to learn the game, that will turn out to be cheap. However, with just me and or DW, no way, I can play a LOT of golf for $1500........

I pay $215 per month which includes my cart. When the weather is good, I play 4-5 times a week. Winter time, I average twice a week. So year round at least 3 times a week which averages out to $16.50 per round. Not a bad price to pay to keep me busy and out of trouble. :)

I pay $215 per month which includes my cart. When the weather is good, I play 4-5 times a week. Winter time, I average twice a week. So year round at least 3 times a week which averages out to $16.50 per round. Not a bad price to pay to keep me busy and out of trouble. :)

Our season up here is really only 5 months, May through September. April is usually quite cold and rainy, and October gets cold quick. If I lived in a warmer clime,I would get a membership like you have, it makes sense.......:)

My golf game suffered from a 15 year layoff. I grew up playing at a country club, became a 1 handicap and won the club championship 8 times. I left the club during divorce and for 15 years played from 4-20 times a year at public courses. I totally lost my game playing so infrequently. Last June I joined a new country club and am now a 8 handicap. My long game is as good or better then ever (thanks to improvements in equipment), however my short game is pathetic. I will give you an example, I played in the Presidents cup tournament a few weeks ago. I shot an 84 with 41 putts. I am currently trying the claw putting grip to keep my right hand out of the stroke.
Anyway addressing your problem with the long game, I found Jim Hardey's 4 DVD set on the one and two plane swings invaluable. I have worked on the one plane swing for almost a year and am now hitting it much more solid and straight. I stuck with this technique, because I noticed immediately a more athletic swing and better distance. I am 55 and can still drive it over 260 with ease. It has taken me a while to incorporate my own version of Jim's stance. I do not bend over as much at address as he recomends. I hope this is of value. I would hate to see you give up a game that you were so good at. Try to take pleasure in walking and being out in a beautiful environment. That helps me on days when the club feels like an anvil.

Jeff

Putting is all mental, and totally about confidence. Plenty of toruing pros change their putting grips, types of putters, etc, and eventually go back to the way they did as an amateur.

Look at Tiger Woods. His putting stroke is virtually the same as it was as an amateur. Seems to work for him.......:) It took me 30 years to find a putter that "feels" right. Now I have a lot of confidence in it, and 3 footers are no longer the yippy nuisance they once were.

Our season up here is really only 5 months, May through September. April is usually quite cold and rainy, and October gets cold quick. If I lived in a warmer clime,I would get a membership like you have, it makes sense.......:)

I would be getting the heck out of there.:eek:

I would be getting the heck out of there.:eek:

Tell that to my DW, and good luck. ALL her family is either in Wisconsin or Phoenix, and she's not good with the heat. My aunt and uncle live in SC, and I think she might be able to weather that since they are at higher elevation in the Greenville area.........:)

If your higher scores were due to a deteriorating short game, I would understand it. It is very rare for a good player to have his tee-to-green game deteriorate the way you describe. Sounds like something has happened to your coordination and timing, which might have a physiological basis. I would see a doctor.

Indeed. He should get a brain scan, especially if he detects any other loss of capacity.

Back
Top Bottom