Join Early Retirement Today

Live Music Returns!
Old 04-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Live Music Returns!

Last year we had planned to go to some concerts with friends. Of course the shows were cancelled.

Now they are being rescheduled, including Doobie Brothers w Michael McDonald 50th Anniversary Tour and the quasi Chicago tribute band Leonid and Friends.

I checked around and my favorite venues around town are scheduling shows.

Great to see music is back and we will certainly be going.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Me too. All vacced up and ready to go! Bring on the concerts -
Old Yesterday, 03:34 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, our main music venue is being used to give Covid Vaccine shots. I guess that's okay as we rarely have a really big name group come through - at least none that I know. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We're still holding two tickets to see The Rolling Stones from June of last year. I was just looking at them. Funny how it says 'rain or shine' on the tickets but nothing about a pandemic.

The show is in Cleveland. We were planning on spending the day at the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame, grabbing a bite to eat, and then heading over to the stadium for the show.

My how times have changed in only a year. Hopefully we'll get a reschedule date soon. Ticketmasterô still shows it as postponed with the date as TBA

-AM23
ArmchairMillionaire23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Live Music Returns!
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM   #5

Live Music Returns!

They just announced that our June 2020 Jason Isbell show at an indoor venue is rescheduled for December 1, 2021.

The pandemic has been brutal on our beloved musicians. I have, I think, three friends who work in the industry. A solo guitar/singer who has gigs in bars moved back to our small, cheap hometown and seems to have taken up full time ranting on Facebook; another who has a successful merchandise business for a major national act downsized his rural house to a loft downtown; and a third who is a drummer for another national act and with a family is running a pressure cleaning business. The latter two are folks who normally travel around in the big tour buses.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
They just announced that our June 2020 Jason Isbell show at an indoor venue is rescheduled for December 1, 2021.

The pandemic has been brutal on our beloved musicians. I have, I think, three friends who work in the industry. A solo guitar/singer who has gigs in bars moved back to our small, cheap hometown and seems to have taken up full time ranting on Facebook; another who has a successful merchandise business for a major national act downsized his rural house to a loft downtown; and a third who is a drummer for another national act and with a family is running a pressure cleaning business. The latter two are folks who normally travel around in the big tour buses.
I was a lighting designer, sometimes touring, before I retired in 2018. All my friends have suffered through the collapse of the entire industry. Many have switched careers as well looking for anything that they can make money doing.

A few I know were LBYM type people and will come out the other side still in one piece. But I know plenty who weren't as well as younger ones who hadn't built up much of a cushion. I hope and pray it starts back soon.
rt-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We saw Rod Stewart's last show in Las Vegas the day before the city shut down last March. Haven't been to any entertainment since. I'm starting to get the urge to see some shows again.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairMillionaire23 View Post
We're still holding two tickets to see The Rolling Stones from June of last year. I was just looking at them. Funny how it says 'rain or shine' on the tickets but nothing about a pandemic.

The show is in Cleveland. We were planning on spending the day at the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame, grabbing a bite to eat, and then heading over to the stadium for the show.

My how times have changed in only a year. Hopefully we'll get a reschedule date soon. Ticketmaster™ still shows it as postponed with the date as TBA
I saw the Stones on their Farewell Tour in 1982, Cotton Bowl, Dallas. They have probably added some material since then, but great show.

Seriously, you do have to get out and see these acts before they stop touring or kick it. That's its own type of "bucket list".

Grateful to have seen Tom Petty (twice) and e.g., Bob Seger twice (in the 70s when he was just getting big and 2019 on his farewell tour), Fleetwood Mac while they were briefly fully intact a few years ago, Three Dog Night a few years ago before Cory Wells died, Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, ZZTop (twice, 40 years apart) and many others.

But regret not seeing Petty his last tour, planned US concert date for the Cranberries cancelled after Delores O'riordan's surprising death, Gerry Rafferty, John Stewart and many other faves who left too soon.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Our first mass gathering won't be until Sept, and that's OK with us. Hopefully we'll be well into whatever the new normal is by then.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote