Live Music Returns!

Montecfo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Last year we had planned to go to some concerts with friends. Of course the shows were cancelled.

Now they are being rescheduled, including Doobie Brothers w Michael McDonald 50th Anniversary Tour and the quasi Chicago tribute band Leonid and Friends.

I checked around and my favorite venues around town are scheduling shows.

Great to see music is back and we will certainly be going.

Me too. All vacced up and ready to go! Bring on the concerts - :)

Sorry, our main music venue is being used to give Covid Vaccine shots. I guess that's okay as we rarely have a really big name group come through - at least none that I know. YMMV

We're still holding two tickets to see The Rolling Stones from June of last year. I was just looking at them. Funny how it says 'rain or shine' on the tickets but nothing about a pandemic. :D

The show is in Cleveland. We were planning on spending the day at the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame, grabbing a bite to eat, and then heading over to the stadium for the show.

My how times have changed in only a year. Hopefully we'll get a reschedule date soon. Ticketmaster™ still shows it as postponed with the date as TBA

They just announced that our June 2020 Jason Isbell show at an indoor venue is rescheduled for December 1, 2021.

The pandemic has been brutal on our beloved musicians. I have, I think, three friends who work in the industry. A solo guitar/singer who has gigs in bars moved back to our small, cheap hometown and seems to have taken up full time ranting on Facebook; another who has a successful merchandise business for a major national act downsized his rural house to a loft downtown; and a third who is a drummer for another national act and with a family is running a pressure cleaning business. The latter two are folks who normally travel around in the big tour buses.

Last edited:
They just announced that our June 2020 Jason Isbell show at an indoor venue is rescheduled for December 1, 2021.

The pandemic has been brutal on our beloved musicians. I have, I think, three friends who work in the industry. A solo guitar/singer who has gigs in bars moved back to our small, cheap hometown and seems to have taken up full time ranting on Facebook; another who has a successful merchandise business for a major national act downsized his rural house to a loft downtown; and a third who is a drummer for another national act and with a family is running a pressure cleaning business. The latter two are folks who normally travel around in the big tour buses.

I was a lighting designer, sometimes touring, before I retired in 2018. All my friends have suffered through the collapse of the entire industry. Many have switched careers as well looking for anything that they can make money doing.

A few I know were LBYM type people and will come out the other side still in one piece. But I know plenty who weren't as well as younger ones who hadn't built up much of a cushion. I hope and pray it starts back soon.

We saw Rod Stewart's last show in Las Vegas the day before the city shut down last March. Haven't been to any entertainment since. I'm starting to get the urge to see some shows again.

We're still holding two tickets to see The Rolling Stones from June of last year. I was just looking at them. Funny how it says 'rain or shine' on the tickets but nothing about a pandemic. :D

The show is in Cleveland. We were planning on spending the day at the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame, grabbing a bite to eat, and then heading over to the stadium for the show.

My how times have changed in only a year. Hopefully we'll get a reschedule date soon. Ticketmaster™ still shows it as postponed with the date as TBA

I saw the Stones on their Farewell Tour in 1982, Cotton Bowl, Dallas. They have probably added some material since then, but great show.

;)

Seriously, you do have to get out and see these acts before they stop touring or kick it. That's its own type of "bucket list".

Grateful to have seen Tom Petty (twice) and e.g., Bob Seger twice (in the 70s when he was just getting big and 2019 on his farewell tour), Fleetwood Mac while they were briefly fully intact a few years ago, Three Dog Night a few years ago before Cory Wells died, Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, ZZTop (twice, 40 years apart) and many others.

But regret not seeing Petty his last tour, planned US concert date for the Cranberries cancelled after Delores O'riordan's surprising death, Gerry Rafferty, John Stewart and many other faves who left too soon.

Last edited:
Our first mass gathering won't be until Sept, and that's OK with us. Hopefully we'll be well into whatever the new normal is by then.

Live theater returns this week. So now we have zoos, amusement parks, symphony, theater, movies, dining, and bars without ordering food!!!

Right now at the dinner concert clubs we go to (eat dinner and watch a concert) only cover bands seem to be performing.

https://wheremusicmeetsthesoul.com/canyon-agoura-hills/

In the past we have seen bands like Foreigner, Asia, David Gates, and many others at The Canyon. These clubs are great places to see a show, hopefully they will return to normal soon. Los Angeles county is expected to reach herd immunity by the end of June early July.

Jason Isbell is from our home town, and he often drives 2 hrs. from Nashville to put on small charity shows in our old movie theatre.

The one I feel sorry for is a local tour bus operator. He has about 25 tour buses that are rented (most years) to music acts and race car teams. At $2 million each, they've been sitting for a year. I don't know how he can financially survive.

The music industry has been decimated the last year financially. Those big stars have had to layoff employees and musicians. It might take another year to get new road acts staged and rehearsed--and ready for the road.

We booked three concerts for July. (We had cabin fever a couple of months ago.)

Tedeschi Trucks - Fox Atl, already postponed
Black Crowes - Nashville, moved the date (We can't go on the new date.)
Dave Mathews - Ameripris Atl, still scheduled (fingers crossed)

Hey, if we can get 1 concert in during July, I will feel lucky!

Last edited:
Smaller Venues

Last night we went to Tumbled Rock Brewery in Baraboo and saw a guitar player and mandolin player on the patio while we sipped after-dinner drinks. So many smiles in the audience. It just feels good to get a step closer to normal.

UPDATE: The Cleveland show got cancelled. But... Ticketmaster™ sent me a link to other midwest shows and I was able to get tickets to the Rolling Stones in Minneapolis in October. Keeping our fingers crossed that this one goes as planned. We also got tickets to see Elton John in Chicago next February and we're looking forward to that one as well.

On a more local note, we just saw Buckcherry at the Upper Michigan state fair in Escanaba this past Saturday. It was a good show and it was just nice to get out and rock! :dance:

Brit Floyd, a week ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 33
We have seen a few shows now this year. It has been great even though the number of bands touring is down.

We saw two good tribute bands (Cars and ELO) out of Philly at a small venue.

On deck are the great Leonid and Friends later this month, and Emmylou Harris in a month or so.

I have tickets for Jason Aldean in October (outside concert) and a subscription to the theater that starts in December (inside but mask required). Hopefully the regional bluegrass festivals start up again next year. I still have my 2020 tickets for the Telluride Bluegrass Festival that should be good for June 2022.

Last edited:
We have made frightfully expensive hotel reservations for Oct. 2-3 in Chattanooga for the 3 Sisters Bluegrass Festival. But we can cancel the reservations up to the day before and the festival is free. I'm hopeful but rather have my doubts....

Aaaaaand it's gone! They are already starting to cancel some big tours with the Delta variant hitting hard. I'm guessing my tickets for the Dead in October will be cancelled. Get your show on now, Winter is coming again for live entertainment...

(My friends went to the Forum in L.A. to see the Black Crowes on Saturday. They said it was great! I'm so jealous!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom