Longevity and Retirement.

The assisted suicide is much more pleasant than what is currently done in many places which is starve the person to death, something I consider very cruel and not painless.

The person decided not to eat. I know my dad had refuse to eat on multiple times when he was alive, I had to sneak in junk food that he loved. There is not much you can do if somebody doesn't want to do anything.
Cancer was not pain free either as my mother told her friends but not her family, she didn't want us to worry about her.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I have known many people to die from cancer and it can be very painful. Even now when they are better at giving you meds to control the pain than the old days when they were afraid you would get addicted there is still much pain.

Anyone done genetic testing? I did the 23AndMe and then uploaded my gene file to Prometheas.com. For $5 you get a health report that has a LOT of info. Diseases you are prone to, things to watch for. Mine has a warning to not take a certain cholesterol medication as it could cause very bad results.

I did the 23 and me testing which has been very insightful to some of my ongoing health issues. They offer a detailed results report now from 23 and Me.

Anyone done genetic testing? I did the 23AndMe and then uploaded my gene file to Promethease.com.

Take all those results with a big grain of salt.

Just as an example, my results included a 7X increased likelihood of baldness, yet not a single individual on either side of my ancestral lineage has ever died with less than a full head of hair, and I still have all mine.

Take all those results with a big grain of salt.

Just as an example, my results included a 7X increased likelihood of baldness, yet not a single individual on either side of my ancestral lineage has ever died with less than a full head of hair, and I still have all mine.

Not really sure "baldness" would count as a heavenly lightening bolt, but having all my hair as well I can understand concern... :angel:

Within 2 years of my ER, I lost those extra 30 pounds and was able to toss away my blood pressure meds for good ! Stress takes a number of good years away for sure.

Good for you. No. Make that, great for you. A person's health is of utmost importance. Losing weight after retirement seems to be a common theme.

I'm 56 and still working. I'll retire sometime between tomorrow and 3 years from now when I reach my DB pension's full retirement age. A year ago I made a casual list of planned retirement activities. It wasn't a bucket list so much as a mechanism to engage my mind in a retirement lifestyle (e.g., Ernie Zelinski Get-a-Life Tree). On my list was "Lose 30 Pounds." I had been 30 pounds overweight for the past 10 years, shortly after beginning a new and more stressful position at my workplace.

Immediately after making the list, however, I was motivated to up front my retirement plans and prematurely lose the weight. I lost 50 pounds during the past year - most of it during the first 3-4 months. After losing the first 30 pounds, I decided to keep going and "touch" my college weight.

I've always been very physically active/fit and metrics like BP were never a problem (although my BP did drop by 10% following the weight loss). However, my total cholesterol had been inching up to the upper end of normal for the past 10 years (HDL and LDL also becoming borderline). In fact, cholesterol was slightly above normal 1.5 years ago. It was cut nearly in half following the weight loss and associated diet change. My triglycerides dropped even more.

Although work is extraordinarily stressful, I've never let it significantly interfere with my overall health or lifestyle enjoyment. I'm in control of my life. However, it is acknowledged that some people experience exceptional improvements once the job is no more. If retirement is what it takes, go for it.

Ironically, I have some concerns about maintaining my fitness and health after I retire. There is a synergy between exercise and work. I commute to work by bicycle and go running everyday at lunch (except Thursday's, when it is a long walk). Exercise is imbedded in the daily work routine and also serves as a stress reduction mechanism. I don't believe a drop in fitness will be a problem after retirement but the possibility still causes me to pause and go hmmm.

Why would I want to know what I might have in the future? It takes the fun out of living and we have t pay for that? I heard Sergey got the genetic testing done and he has gene for Parkinson's disease so he left his wife and had an affair with a Google employee. That sort of effect that I don't want really want to know.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I have known many people to die from cancer and it can be very painful. Even now when they are better at giving you meds to control the pain than the old days when they were afraid you would get addicted there is still much pain.

Your post made me stop and reflect. I am 51 years old and have never seen or met anyone with cancer or who has died from it. That sounds very odd thinking about it since it is such a prevalent disease.

Pressure is mounting to find a cure for cancer:

Curing Cancer Is Within Reach - Bloomberg View

In President Barack Obama’s final State of the Union address, he compared the effort required to eradicate cancer to a “moonshot,” summoning the American ingenuity and scientific pursuits that sent humankind to the moon. We believe that it’s time for a full and complete national commitment to rid the world of this disease, because the truth is that ending cancer as we know it is finally within our grasp.

My brother died from cancer at 19.
People who talk about the "Golden Years" have likely not inherited crippling conditions.
I have read that in Belgium a criteria for requesting termination is being 70.
Here in South Florida, the usual method of old men is a bullet.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom