Looking for international destination suggestions

We just got back from the Stellenbosch area of South Africa just east of Cape Town. We are seriously considering moving there. It is cheap, ridiculously beautiful and free lf most tourism. And Cape Town is about 45 minutes away. If you like wine, you will never leave.

We like Belgium, New Zealand, and Iceland (a little more expensive). Cuzco in Peru also has many interesting places nearby to explore.

Cheers!

My ‘happy place’ is Rarotonga (Cook Islands) been there 5 times. Just a hidden gem. Quiet , been there (and other islands) for 2 weeks but a month would be good too. Just don’t tell a lot of people about it, don’t want it to get discovered.

I say Malaysia - good food at very low cost, most people speak English, cheap public transportation, cheap Grab (similar to Uber ) and taxi rides, friendly people, cheap rental (2,000 RM/month for an ocean view condo), very affordable health & dental care, beautiful beaches. The only issue is hot & humid weather.

Lots of great places, but I got tired of snow. I moved to the tropics and live in Panama. I speak a little Spanish and I met a woman from Peru who speaks a little English. We are married now. I let her take charge when Spanish is needed such as a taxi or Uber.

Thanks

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Headed to japan/Malaysia/Indonesia/Thailand next year for first big post-retirement trip. Plan to follow up with many more. Will investigate these suggestions.

I would also suggest Wales and Scotland.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Headed to japan/Malaysia/Indonesia/Thailand next year for first big post-retirement trip. Plan to follow up with many more. Will investigate these suggestions.

You mention Japan, and I was going to suggest Kyoto. It's a good-sized city, but we didn't feel like it was crowded when we visited a few years ago. Certainly some of the Buddhist shrines can be busy, but we found even the historic Gion district to be easy to get around in.

Of course the city is loaded with culture, so there's plenty to do. It's also easy to get around to outlying areas, thanks to Japan's extensive rail system. I could see spending a month there.

I know that bench! Another place away from the tourists is south of the train station on the lower walk past Mary's Cafe and another 5 min.

Thanks for the tip on Montreux. We have not visited the Lake Geneva area.

We've spent time in Murren. Absolutely beautiful place. Need to go back, maybe we'll stay in Wengen this time; although it would be tough to beat Chalet Fontana and Denise's hospitality

I’ve been retired in Bangkok, Thailand for 3 years. While Thailand has some spectacular tropical islands and beaches they are heavily populated by western tourists and look like beaches all over the world. It is not a very Thai experience. A few days in Bangkok and time in Chiang Mai would be a better Thai experience. I would avoid both cities December- February due to pollution concerns. Thailand has many many festivals. Plan to go during a festival. For Thailand travel suggestions look for the website for Richard Barrow in Thailand.

Back
Top Bottom