Looking for Retirement Heaven? I've found it!!

sky

Confused about dryer sheets
So, I was looking for a place to retire.
I wanted a view of the city lights, mountain, and the ocean in view from my patio. I needed security...some place safe - not just for us, but also for the vacant home because we intend to travel as much as we can.
Well, after extensive search...it does exisit.
Point Roberts, Washington. It's only 20 minutes to Vancouver, B.C. Canada - I say one of the most cultured city one can find in the world.
Point Roberts is a government controlled "gated community". There's Marina & Golfing. Charming place to call home. Be away from it all, yet only be 20 minutes away from the best city.

The Zipper's #2 son lives in Vancouver and loves it.

Just don't try to buy a house. :eek:

Point Roberts - drive thru Canada - to get back to the U.S.:confused:

That one? I left Washinton State in 1969 at age 26 and never looked back. Nice place to visit.

Planning a vacation to BC/Vancouver and Vancouve Island in July and will look in. (Though if it is a gated community we might not get to see much?)

Zipper said:
The Zipper's #2 son lives in Vancouver and loves it.

Just don't try to buy a house. :eek:

Exactly...the houses in Vancouver are crazy like California. We get to take advantage of low housing costs in Point Roberts and still be in driving distance to Vancouver. The Vancouver-ians are jealous of us because we can take advantage of the strong dollar, and pay cheaper housing costs. AND! if you spend money there in Canada you can get taxes back.

unclemick2 said:
Point Roberts - drive thru Canada - to get back to the U.S.:confused:

That one?
Yes, that one.  But by living in Point Roberts, you don't have a reason to drive back into Washington 'cause you can do your shopping, entertainment, etc in Canada - not to mention local shopping centers etc right in Point Roberts.  Oh, and don't forget Richmond!!! (only 10 min).   

ESRBob said:
Planning a vacation to BC/Vancouver and Vancouve Island in July and will look in. (Though if it is a gated community we might not get to see much?)

When I say "Government controlled gated community"- it was a bit of humor.
It is an immigration check point. All you need is an ID to go into Point Roberts. Living there, you will feel as if you live in a manned gated community with cameras.

:confused:Can the Vancouver housing boom be traced back to right before Hong Kong take over by the Chinese. The relative status of U.S./Canadian laws at the time - fueled the boom due to 'flight capital'. Or so I thought I read something like that.

unclemick2 said:
:confused:Can the Vancouver housing boom be traced back to right before Hong Kong take over by the Chinese. The relative status of U.S./Canadian laws at the time - fueled the boom due to 'flight capital'. Or so I thought I read something like that.

This has nothing to do with Point Roberts, but to try to answer your question...I do believe that the Vancouver housing has boomed because of the Hong Kong take over in 1997.  I think many Chinese were scared, and moved their investments to Canada.  But I'm no history buff, and this is a very hard question for me to answer.  What I do know is that the housing in Vancouver keeps rising everyday.  

Could jit ust be Canadiens heading to the warmest place they can find without leaving the country? Sort of like our Florida?

sky said:
So, I was looking for a place to retire.
I wanted a view of the city lights, mountain, and the ocean in view from my patio. I needed security...some place safe - not just for us, but also for the vacant home because we intend to travel as much as we can.
Well, after extensive search...it does exisit.
Point Roberts, Washington. It's only 20 minutes to Vancouver, B.C. Canada - I say one of the most cultured city one can find in the world.
Point Roberts is a government controlled "gated community". There's Marina & Golfing. Charming place to call home. Be away from it all, yet only be 20 minutes away from the best city.

"Best city"? Man. I hope you are kidding. BTW, have you done any traveling or just read a book?

JG

MRGALT2U said:
"Best city"?  Man. I hope you are kidding.  BTW, have you done any traveling or just read a book?

JG
Everybody has a different opinion.  To me, I love the city because of the diverse culture is holds...as wells as the beautiful spring, summers & fall.  I've lived in Vancouver, NJ, DE, PA, GA, FL, AZ, Nurenberg, Germany and Tokyo Japan.  And to me, it is the best.  I know the winters can get a bit cold, but I am retired and plan on taking  many trip during those seasons.  And therefore, to me it is the best & resonable location to retire.

There are a lot of very nice cities. Vancouver is definitely on the short list.

HaHa said:
There are a lot of very nice cities. Vancouver is definitely on the short list.

I think Vancouver is fine, but to say it is "the best" is ridiculous.
That said, I know more than one person who thinks Vancouver is
very nice.

JG

Vancouver is a great place. It has a lot of gardens and great Chinese restaurants. Thanks for the tips about Point Roberts. I will check that out.

The pac west is my old stomping grounds, also liked Colorado(Littleton), Huntsville, Al and greater Baltimore(Towsend, Middle River).

However - after Upper Michigan, and greater Philly - The SO thinks La heat and humidity are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Relatives - Whidbey, Kalama, Kent, Anacortes. Also Sparks(Reno) - another place I liked but never lived there.

P.S. I was born in Vancouver - Wa that is.

Vancouver is gorgeous - definetely on my short list but the housing cost deters me from it. Lived there for a couple of years. My apartment in Kits was overlooking the ski slopes and the ocean. In exchange for the location I had to deal with high rent and virtually no heat/insulation. A warm jacket, gas stove and oven kept me warm.

Go skiing in the morning. Play tennis in your shorts in the afternoon. Lots of good restaurants too. I could not live and work there though. Wages are not that great and you pay through the nose to live there. That continous drizzle rain drove me mad. Still got my gore tex from then, but I only use it 1-2 times a year in TX :LOL:

I went sailing out of Point Roberts one time. Can't remember much about it. Checked on the internet, virtually no real estate for sale - must be either a hole in the wall or immensely popular.

Vicky

unclemick2 said:
The pac west is my old stomping grounds, also liked Colorado(Littleton), Huntsville, Al and greater Baltimore(Towsend, Middle River).

However - after Upper Michigan, and greater Philly - The SO thinks La heat and humidity are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Relatives - Whidbey, Kalama, Kent, Anacortes. Also Sparks(Reno) - another place I liked but never lived there.

P.S. I was born in Vancouver - Wa that is.

Ah, Upper Michigan. Lived it and loved it, "Yoopers" and all. Hated the winters though. Absolutely brutal. Otherwise, it's really quite beautiful.
No big cities at all and very few liberals. Actually, except for the weather,
it reminds me of east Texas. Lots of pine trees, lots of lakes, lots of
pick up trucks with gun racks. My kind of country.

JG

That continous drizzle rain drove me mad

Seems like southern or inland Oregon would be pretty nice if you wanted to go the Pac NW route. Less rainfall and moderate temperatures from what I hear. All I can say about the drizzle is you don't have to shovel it.

I thought the SW was pretty nice. Didn't think I would like the lack of green but I didn't mind. Of course the kicker is I was there when it was 85 and not 105 ;)

Wildcat: Shush your mouth!  ;)

Ashland is THE liberal enclave in southern Oregon and is attractive to those who appreciate a college and performing arts community.  There is enough of a chill in the winter to let you know the season.  Summer is moderate. 

Medford, about 20 miles north, much more consertive politically.  Popular with retirees it has a Veteran's facility, airport, and usual small city resources.  Summer is warmer than Ashland, winter cold enough to set the fruit trees.

A rural lifestyle is possible in the surrounding areas but some residents are reputed to be reclusive.

Point Roberts, WA is a small community. 

Usually staffed by the townies who know who belongs and who doesn't.  Local Customs/INS/Border Patrol can pick out a local in a blink - and know who to check for BC bud.  ;)

Residents know the back gates and avoid I-5 at the border whenever they can.

One of my more interesting conversations was with a Border Patrol supervisor who reflected on the 'good old days' when their primary job was to pick up undocumented Mexicans picking apples and strawberries, and a Bogwan.  NOW they are going after bad guys!  Earning their early public safety retirement these days.

Back
Top Bottom