Millennial Coffee Habits

The best coffee I had was using a percolator over a campfire.

Yeah Baby!

I've had it for over 2 years now and it's paid for itself 6 months ago compared to a Kuerig. Faster, easier and less expensive.

Some folks like a venti caramel frappucino with one pump of caramel sauce, one pump of caramel syrup, one pump of mocha, one pump of white mocha, one pump of hazelnut, and an affogato shot.

Others like coffee.

Caffeine is one of the four food groups, isn't it?

My chemist bride tells me that the solubility of caffeine is highly dependent on the brewing temperature. So a "cold brew" is naturally low in caffeine compared to normal coffee.

For the record, we use a Hamilton Beach machine programmed to have a fresh batch ready at wake-up time. Two pots a day minimum, sometimes three. Mmm, caffeine!

Beats the heck out of those pod machines!

Agree... We have a Breville 860XL and it makes a great espresso, cappuccino, or lattes. It costs about .16 cents a cup with premium beans and whole milk for a cappuccino or latte. We use both roasted whole beans or fine ground coffee. It paid for itself pretty quickly.

Agree... We have a Breville 860XL and it makes a great espresso, cappuccino, or lattes. It costs about .16 cents a cup with premium beans and whole milk for a cappuccino or latte. We use both roasted whole beans or fine ground coffee. It paid for itself pretty quickly.
That's a $500 machine, right? And you can create a cup of coffee with all the "fixins" for $0.16 each (including cleaning, maintenance, replacement filters, etc.)?

So how many cups per day do you drink? And what are you comparing it to, when you conclude that it paid for itself "pretty quickly"? And at what rate do you value your time?

Last edited:
That's a $500 machine, right? And you can create a cup of coffee with all the "fixins" for $0.16 each (including cleaning, maintenance, replacement filters, etc.)?

So how many cups per day do you drink? And what are you comparing it to, when you conclude that it paid for itself "pretty quickly"? And at what rate do you value your time?

Yes it's a $500 machine with tax and free shipping. Between the two of us, about 4 cups total on average per day. A twelve pack of water filters costs about $8.95 and is enough for about 2 years. The cleaning cycle is my time. The descaling fluid costs about $8 and is good for about 3 years. For coffee, 90% of the time we use Lavazza Gran Selezione, Gran Aroma, or Classico. It costs about $4.99 for a 12oz (340g) on sale. Milk costs us about $2.79 per gallon. For a single shot espresso I use about 7 grams of coffee. Each pack of of coffee yields about 48 shots of espresso at about a cost of about 10.4 cents per shot. I use about 2 oz of milk (which doubles in volume with the frother) per cappuccino so a gallon yields 64 cups or about 4.4 cents per cup. So our morning and afternoon cappuccino costs us about 64 cents per day vs about $19 per day at Starbucks not including gas. I could use Starbucks coffee also for less money. The payback was less than one month in our case. We have had our machine for almost 2 years. It's worth every penny we paid for it.

Last edited:
As one who enjoys a good cup of coffee I can say that the grinder is very important. Hot or cold, the grind makes a difference. Cold brew is better, IMHO, but, not better enough so I just don’t bother with it.

We all have our little luxuries and habits, and if hers is driving 20 minutes to spend $5 for a cold brew coffee, well that is better than a gambling, alcohol or street drug habit. Relax.

Ok, I am relaxed

Younger generations would probably freak if they heard that I just finished a big mug of double strength Maxwell House instant coffee just now and totally enjoyed every last drop of it. :D

I really do not like Starbucks coffee, though. :yuk: It's even worse than instant, and so expensive. My daughter (age 39 so I guess Gen X?) loves Starbucks.

:ROFLMAO: Yes, you know exactly what kopi luwak coffee really is! Me too and I find it pretty unappealing.

This quote from the wiki article W2R linked is sad enough to stay away from this version of coffee. Mistreating animals will never get my support.

"The traditional method of collecting feces from wild civets has given way to intensive farming methods in which civets in battery cage systems are force-fed the cherries. This method of production has raised ethical concerns about the treatment of civets due to "horrific conditions" including isolation, poor diet, small cages and a high mortality rate."

Some folks like a venti caramel frappucino with one pump of caramel sauce, one pump of caramel syrup, one pump of mocha, one pump of white mocha, one pump of hazelnut, and an affogato shot.

Others like coffee.

"The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the a$$hole. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge a$$hole."

Bill Maher

I think it’s an interesting study in human behavior that marketers are good at tapping into. Mini-luxuries are created using the most mundane products that are normally readily available to the masses for a nominal fee and by adding perceived scarcity, labels, processes, etc, they find a way to get people to spend huge additional sums for it. ‘I can’t afford a yacht, but I think I’ll treat myself to a cup of coffee that is brewed from beans that are squeezed from a rats (you know what) and feel better about myself.’ A number of posts in this thread attest to the need some people have to explain in great detail the product, processes, cost and return on investment involved in satisfying the craving they have for a product that at one time was considered pretty mundane. Eh, it’s coffee.

It’s interesting, that’s all

"The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the a$$hole."

Bill's assessment might be pushing it a bit there; I think many of those folks believe they are demonstrating their connoisseur status in the same way James Bond used to order his martini "shaken not stirred."

For all I know, maybe they actually do have such sophisticated palates that those off-the-wall $tarbuck$ orders are reasonable. But my normal order when I go there (probably once a month or so) is "Venti dark roast." Pretty simple, but I probably enjoy it just as much as the person who needs thirty words to order a cup of coffee.

As someone who has been primarily drinking iced coffee for more than the last 25+ years, I will tell you there is definitely a difference in taste between cold brewed and hot brewed coffee over ice.

This is the cold brew maker I use: OXO Good Grips Cold Brew Coffee Maker

Okay, now you've done it! I have sworn off any more kitchen gadgets for at least one year after receiving my Anova Nano sous vide precision cooker last week and awaiting my order for the Press Rite french press machine next month. I thought my Technivorm mokkamaster coffeemaker was making some pretty good-tasting coffee, and now you've got me curious about cold-brewed coffee. Where is a good place to try real cold-brewed coffee that makes it the way it's supposed to be made, before I order the Oxo and shatter my kitchen gadget moratorium resolve?

"The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the a$$hole. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge a$$hole."

Bill Maher
takes one to call one, and Billie sure qualifies.

Yeah Baby!

I've had it for over 2 years now and it's paid for itself 6 months ago compared to a Kuerig. Faster, easier and less expensive.

I completely agree. They are sort of like printers - the pod units are cheaper to buy but the consumables cost a fortune. OTOH, the ones that take water and whole beans and brew a cup cost more to buy, but the consumables are very very cheap. And the coffee is much, much better than the pods.

Mine has paid for itself many times over, IMHO, when compared to pod machines and certainly when compared to buying a coffee beverage at a coffee house.

Have an alegira (sp) coffee machine at work (company rents and provides free "coffee"). You put in a plastic back of concentrate, and it spits out "brewed coffee". Not so great, but it's free.
I found that if I make a small cup from one packet, and pour it over a large stainless tumbler filled with ice, the iced coffee is much better than what is brewed.
About the machine, there are over a hundred plastic bags thrown in the trash each day. The company will take the empty pouches back, but who wants to volunteer before me?

Others like coffee.

Then there is the decafe coffee with skim milk and artifical sweetener, served in a paper cup with a plastic sippy lid .... Otherwise known as a Why Bother. :D

I drink only kopi luwak coffee made with fresh glacial meltwater from Antarctica. I am so hip I almost can't stand myself.
:D. :D

DS2 is a coffee snob. Even though I buy good coffee and grind it, that’s not good enough for him and he refuses to drink coffee here. I’m not really sure how he makes his coffee, but I suspect it’s as you describe. :LOL:

I wonder what the OP's niece would think of some of the coffee mugs (and the coffee that went into them) used by good ol' Navy Chief Petty Officers? It was a status symbol never to wash the mugs. Consequently they would build up a brown film/crust on the inside that theoretically made the coffee taste better. I recall once a young Seaman getting a good ass-chewing from his division chief when, thinking he was doing the right thing, washed the CPO's cup.

Back
Top Bottom