Moving after retirement?

I finally bit the bullet after over a decade in retirement, and moved from the San Francisco Bay Area to the Portland suburbs. Lower cost of living, better overall living situation for us. Yes, income tax is roughly similar to California, but there’s no sales tax, and overall cost of living is lower. I jumped from a 2 bedroom condo to a 4 bed, three bath home in the woods, and pocketed the difference.

The larger home let us do a few things, including a better office space for me, space for our hobbies, and the ability to set up an ‘in-law suite’ for my sister-in-law.

We only moved about 80 miles from the Washington, D.C. area to WV but it is a world away in terms of culture, traffic levels, and housing costs. Other costs are fractionally lower but not near enough to make a move worthwhile. The big issue was traffic, as in having to plan one's life around it.

We made a similar move from the DC area in 2019, about 120 miles. Life is much easier, and costs are lower, but the jury is out on our success in making friends because of COVID.

Like Walt, we simply moved and bought a house. Our requirements for a fairly large, close-in one-story house, but not a 55+ community, limited our choices.

My concern after getting here is that a tax-averse local government may choose to let older suburbs such as ours decay rather than pay the huge bills for rebuilding infrastructure.

We retired close to 7 years ago, moved from Wichita KS, to Lake of the Ozarks 3 months before my final day....after one winter in the Ozarks, we purchased a place in Ft Myers FL, became FL residents..... Great for taxes, weather, things to do. We spend 8 months in Ft Myers, and 4 months at Lake of the Ozarks...... As well we travel minimum of 60 days per year ......

In 2013 my company was bought out and all the management team let out, I was based in Shanghai China and was, with plenty of warning, let go. I decided at that point it was time to end my time in China (17 years) and retire too! I went back to Calif for 2-3 years but quickly realized that wasn't for me. After 17 years away, CA wasn't for me anymore.

I decided to travel a bit and took a trip around Europe, Turkey and Asia. I finally settled in Vietnam and had been pretty happy there until a year ago when me and my fiancee decided to take a trip to S. America. Now we have been trapped here for over a year as we wait out the pandemic.

So in my short 7 years of retirement I have lived in multiple countries, visited many more and gotten to meet dozens of retirees living abroad. As I type I am in David, Panama in a lovely condo complex with mostly N. Americans waiting out the virus.

My recommendation is get out and enjoy your freedom! Once you hit the road you will wonder why you had so many worries and wish you had done it sooner. You'll make new friends everywhere and experience things you never thought possible!

Florida is certainly a possibility but maybe think even bigger :)

Fire Systems Guy

We sold then moved from our home in Md. to Delaware 3 miles from the beach. Much lower COL, 3 of our 4 children and 7 of our 10 grands within 3 hours of us in De. Son and 3 grands in Charleston, SC. So is a (7) hour drive to go visit them. The close by come frequently May-September for weeks at a time. Who doesn't like a free place to stay at the beach? The move has worked well for us once we worked out the health insurance during retirement and the move out of Maryland.

After retiring we moved to our CCRC cottage. Not much to do these COVID-19 days except Pickleball, tennis, walking/jogging, swimming and biking. Can't wait until things open up again. BTW we received Covid-19 vaccination #1 this week.

<SNIP>

Who doesn't like a free place to stay at the beach? The move has worked well for us once we worked out the health insurance during retirement and the move out of Maryland.

We've actually had fewer friends and family stay at our place than we would have imagined. I don't think it's us as we have offered our place when we vacated. It could be inertia caused by the long flight. YMMV

In 2013 my company was bought out and all the management team let out, I was based in Shanghai China and was, with plenty of warning, let go. I decided at that point it was time to end my time in China (17 years) and retire too! I went back to Calif for 2-3 years but quickly realized that wasn't for me. After 17 years away, CA wasn't for me anymore.

I decided to travel a bit and took a trip around Europe, Turkey and Asia. I finally settled in Vietnam and had been pretty happy there until a year ago when me and my fiancee decided to take a trip to S. America. Now we have been trapped here for over a year as we wait out the pandemic.

So in my short 7 years of retirement I have lived in multiple countries, visited many more and gotten to meet dozens of retirees living abroad. As I type I am in David, Panama in a lovely condo complex with mostly N. Americans waiting out the virus.

My recommendation is get out and enjoy your freedom! Once you hit the road you will wonder why you had so many worries and wish you had done it sooner. You'll make new friends everywhere and experience things you never thought possible!

Florida is certainly a possibility but maybe think even bigger :)

That sounds pretty good (except the part about being stuck in Panama). I think wintering in SouthEast Asia could be real option. I don't think DW would want to move overseas permanently or year round but lengthy stays during early retirement and before grandkids sounds like fun.

After 30 years in the Chicago area, DW retired in June 2009. We sold our house at the end of that month. I had to work till the end of August for health insurance reasons. We lived in an extended stay motel for July and August. All of our stuff had already made the move to Upstate South Carolina to the house we just finished building. On the first day of September 2009 (my official last day), DW picked me up at the office, and we drove nonstop from Chicago to South Carolina. Never looked back. We had not visited SC for any appreciable time. We did not know a sole. It just felt right. Since then, both DS and family, and DD moved to the area. In thirty years in Chicago, there was no one we really called close friends. In the last 10 years we have developed very close friendships with several couples. Life is very good.

Sometimes you can overly plan, examine things to the nth degree (paralysis by analysis). Other times, if you find yourself in a relatively good, financial situation, you can make your own opportunities, and be successful where ever you decide to go.
Like you, after 26 years in Chicago, we moved to NC four months after DW retired. We didn’t know a soul here either, our families are scattered all over so we couldn’t move near family if we wanted to. As military brats, and after a career with several transfers, we’ve lived all over the US and abroad so we had some sense of where we’d like. Sick of winters (IL, OH, RI), but we’d lived in TX and FL and knew we wanted something in between for climate.

We wanted to be close to a large metro area for arts, culture, sports, etc. - but Chicago became too expensive and congested. We were conscious of COL and we found a metro with everything we wanted for far less than Chicago, but we weren’t looking for the cheapest state - we let arts, culture, real estate prices and other amenities guide our COL decision. Happy medium and well worth it to us.

We wanted to be near the east coast, but not so close as to bear the brunt of inevitable hurricanes, so we chose a location a few hours inland - and got the bonus of a short drive to the mountains too. We made a list and visited many metro areas that fit our criteria and after many trips in hot and cold months we narrowed our choice to one.

I agree with others who suggest you rent for 6-12 months if you’re moving to a new area - very good advice if you haven’t moved many times. It’s a process, how to go about it depends on you, we planned carefully and deliberately because that’s what we needed to be comfortable with our decision. Others can make major life decisions more easily, and that’s fine if it works for you too. We’ve been in our new home for 18 months - and we love it here. Best of luck OP.

Last edited:
Grew up in and raised our family in St. Louis. When our 2 kids spread their wings and moved (1 to the Bay Area, 1 to Chicago), we relocated to Kauai.

For us it was a lifestyle choice. In St. Louis, aside from a few weeks of beautiful weather each year, it was usually too hot/humid or too cold to enjoy being outside. We wanted an active outdoor life in retirement, and when our kids cut the cord we saw an opportunity to pursue the dream (while our knees and hips still worked!).

It was a several year process of planning while we were both still employed. Having vacationed there many times, we started by purchasing a condo on the North Shore of Kauai. Vacations started getting longer, testing the waters and really thinking about "could we live here?". We vacation-rented our place when we weren't there, to help offset the cost of our experiment.

When my company went through a restructuring and offered a generous early retirement package the year I turned 55, I jumped on it. My husband was (and is still) a self-employed consultant, and could maintain work with his primary client regardless of where we lived. Our original plan was to move right away, but family obligations kept us from moving for another couple of years. We took the plunge when I was 57, sold the place in St. Louis, and moved to our island home.

After almost 4 years, we are extremely happy with our decision. Some learnings/observations that may be of interest as you consider a move:

• We found that condo living wasn't right for us after a couple of years. It was fantastic for our "entry", though. It allowed us to buy in when the housing market was more reasonable and be able to come and go (before our move) without the responsibilities of a SFH. We made great friends in the community, had access to a pool, and at first really enjoyed the low maintenance lifestyle. When it became clear that we were happily in this for the long haul, we sold the condo and bought our own home. Turns out we like the little projects of making the place our own and relish the outdoor space and lack of HOA restrictions.

• Yes, we do miss family and friends on the mainland. We made sure to budget carefully for frequent trips to visit. Until COVID this was working out well for us! A bonus for us is that my brother and his family live in Oahu, so we get to see them far more often now. Visits with our kids, whether here or in their home cities, are wonderful family-focused vacations. Before we moved, we were a "stop" when the kids came to town, but they spent a lot of their time with others. We relish the visits we have together now, as we all live in diverse places that offer terrific experiences that enhance our family time. Some friends had a very difficult time with our decision to move, and as a matter of course some relationships have faded. However we are still close to many of our old friends. We are looking forward to returning to unimpeded travel soon to reconnect in person more often.

• We considered trying to keep the house in St. Louis and the condo in Kauai and split our time. We decided to go all in with our move, as we didn't want the continued hassle of vacation renting our condo (VRBO changes made it more onerous each year) and couldn't afford to keep both places without the rental income. It has been the best decision for us. We have been able to immerse ourselves in the community, make wonderful new friends, participate in sporting clubs and rewarding volunteer groups, and enjoy the year-round activities that drew us here. And we have found that you get what you give in relation to the local community. That's fodder for a whole separate post, but we have not had any significant issues.
Good luck to you as you consider your options. Hope this long-winded post helps with one person's perspective!

Last edited:
I heard a local story on our NPR station today that Charlotte and Austin are the top two cities in the country for boomers moving to be near grandkids, and that COVID has accelerated the trend.

All these interesting places that people decided to move to after retiring! I’m a year and a half out, living in an apartment in the Midwest, but a day doesn’t go by that I don’t research places where I want to relocate when I’m finally done working. I don’t have a lot of family and it’s just me and the cat, so picking up and moving will be easy (I’m currently living in my 9th state so clearly I’m good at moving!). The hard part is deciding where to land.

I was planning to use my vacation time to check out the top choices that I have never visited before, but COVID has derailed that plan. So I might stay where I am and take trips after I retire until I find the right place. Or I might move back to TX temporarily while I look and travel so I can at least be near friends while I’m living in a lower cost area. My third option is to take a chance and just rent in an area that interests me and see if I like it.

Some of my choices leave my list, some have been added to the list. But I keep coming back to a pretty stable top 5 or 6. The primary dilemma really comes down to whether I want to spend more and live in an area that is really intriguing to me or whether to choose a lower cost area that can provide an even more financially secure future. I have always dreamed of living by the ocean and I greatly prefer the west coast; I grew up there and feel comfortable there. I also really don’t care for cold climates. But living in an area that gets some snow/cold temps, or areas away from the ocean, get me more bang for the buck.

I have a lot to think about...but it is definitely one of the more fun things I think about! Much more fun to think about than work.

To those who want to test drive a retirement destination by renting 6 months to a year, what do you do with the primary residence? Keep it empty or sell and store household belongings? Rent it out short term? I retired in 2018 and DW will retire this year. We are considering moving out of state.

We are also considering moving out of state. But first we want to travel overseas for months at a time when it is safe to do, before buying a house in HCOL area. So we decided to first sell our house, sell or donate furniture, put as little in storage as possible, and move into a temporary housing for 6 to 12 months.

Grew up in and raised our family in St. Louis. When our 2 kids spread their wings and moved (1 to the Bay Area, 1 to Chicago), we relocated to Kauai.

For us it was a lifestyle choice. In St. Louis, aside from a few weeks of beautiful weather each year, it was usually too hot/humid or too cold to enjoy being outside. We wanted an active outdoor life in retirement, and when our kids cut the cord we saw an opportunity to pursue the dream (while our knees and hips still worked!).

It was a several year process of planning while we were both still employed. Having vacationed there many times, we started by purchasing a condo on the North Shore of Kauai. Vacations started getting longer, testing the waters and really thinking about "could we live here?". We vacation-rented our place when we weren't there, to help offset the cost of our experiment.

When my company went through a restructuring and offered a generous early retirement package the year I turned 55, I jumped on it. My husband was (and is still) a self-employed consultant, and could maintain work with his primary client regardless of where we lived. Our original plan was to move right away, but family obligations kept us from moving for another couple of years. We took the plunge when I was 57, sold the place in St. Louis, and moved to our island home.

After almost 4 years, we are extremely happy with our decision. Some learnings/observations that may be of interest as you consider a move:

• We found that condo living wasn't right for us after a couple of years. It was fantastic for our "entry", though. It allowed us to buy in when the housing market was more reasonable and be able to come and go (before our move) without the responsibilities of a SFH. We made great friends in the community, had access to a pool, and at first really enjoyed the low maintenance lifestyle. When it became clear that we were happily in this for the long haul, we sold the condo and bought our own home. Turns out we like the little projects of making the place our own and relish the outdoor space and lack of HOA restrictions.

• Yes, we do miss family and friends on the mainland. We made sure to budget carefully for frequent trips to visit. Until COVID this was working out well for us! A bonus for us is that my brother and his family live in Oahu, so we get to see them far more often now. Visits with our kids, whether here or in their home cities, are wonderful family-focused vacations. Before we moved, we were a "stop" when the kids came to town, but they spent a lot of their time with others. We relish the visits we have together now, as we all live in diverse places that offer terrific experiences that enhance our family time. Some friends had a very difficult time with our decision to move, and as a matter of course some relationships have faded. However we are still close to many of our old friends. We are looking forward to returning to unimpeded travel soon to reconnect in person more often.

• We considered trying to keep the house in St. Louis and the condo in Kauai and split our time. We decided to go all in with our move, as we didn't want the continued hassle of vacation renting our condo (VRBO changes made it more onerous each year) and couldn't afford to keep both places without the rental income. It has been the best decision for us. We have been able to immerse ourselves in the community, make wonderful new friends, participate in sporting clubs and rewarding volunteer groups, and enjoy the year-round activities that drew us here. And we have found that you get what you give in relation to the local community. That's fodder for a whole separate post, but we have not had any significant issues.
Good luck to you as you consider your options. Hope this long-winded post helps with one person's perspective!

Lots of similarities to our situation of moving to the Islands. We did go sort of the opposite housing direction. After paying off our HI town house and then moving there, we decided a condo (concrete egg crate) with a nice view would be even better for us. It was. Still here after a total of 13 years in Paradise.

I loved Kauai, but could never live there - too "un-spoiled" :LOL: We all have to make our choice and it's a blessing to be able to do so. Thanks for your story. Brings back many (mostly fond) memories.

I am considering to move to Florida (likely Tampa area) or Las Vegas after retirement. But I guess we will wait until we actually spend some longer time in both places. The biggest motivation is entertainments and activities in those places.
Try to live there in the late summer Aug and Sept , hot and humid and the peak of hurricane season and evaluate from there.

I am considering to move to Florida (likely Tampa area) or Las Vegas after retirement. But I guess we will wait until we actually spend some longer time in both places. The biggest motivation is entertainments and activities in those places.

Tampa is a great town and both my brother and father live there. What Nick12 advised about hurricane season is true and no joke. My brother has attempted to address it by living in a newer high rise, which has a built in generator, and my father also has not had to evacuate, because his senior community is not in a flood zone. I worry about him losing power though. My mother lives on the Georgia Coast and has had to evacuate to Atlanta a few times in recent years. She had water and then FEMA in her house during the last larger hurricane and a bunch of repairs. She finally sold after that experience and found a condo out of the flood zone. Both are wonderful areas where I grew up but, personally, if I ever move back there, I’ll likely rent.

Tampa is a great town and both my brother and father live there. What Nick12 advised about hurricane season is true and no joke. My brother has attempted to address it by living in a newer high rise, which has a built in generator, and my father also has not had to evacuate, because his senior community is not in a flood zone. I worry about him losing power though. My mother lives on the Georgia Coast and has had to evacuate to Atlanta a few times in recent years. She had water and then FEMA in her house during the last larger hurricane and a bunch of repairs. She finally sold after that experience and found a condo out of the flood zone. Both are wonderful areas where I grew up but, personally, if I ever move back there, I’ll likely rent.

Tampa stretches from the coast to inland. For example we are 50 minutes from the beach living in Tampa. Of course we can get a direct hurricane hit, but it can be lessened as opposed to living right by the bay/ocean.
There hasn't been a direct hurricane hit to Tampa since the 1920's, although a few close calls including Irma.

I retired in 2017. DW retired in 2018. We lived in northern VA and worked in and around DC for nearly 30 years. We purchased new home 2017 in St. Augustine, FL, and sold former home in 2018. We absolutely love our new environment as no continuous massive traffic jams (minimum of 1 hour commute to and from work each day), no crippling snow and ice, and 20 minutes from Atlantic Ocean. Now lots of smiles, exceptionally lower life stress, and absolutely no regrets. Our recommendation: Do it.

I moved to an ocean view condo in Ventura after I retired from my job in LA five years ago. Although I lived in a decent area of LA (Pasadena), my quality of life is much higher here with cooler summers, less congestion, plenty of places to go bike riding and hiking, the beach a few minutes away, and an abundance of spots to do my landscape photography hobby.

Last edited:
Retired in 2012 and moved from Connecticut to southwest Florida in 2018. Two reasons: 1) saving a bundle with no state income tax and 2) the weather here is amazing. We actually like the summers here more than the 'season' because it's very peaceful as 2/3 of residents head back north, so traffic is a breeze, you can walk into any restaurant without a reservation, and everything gets way cheaper in the off-season (restaurants, golf, etc.). Our community is very social...always getting together with neighbors for cocktails, dinner, sunsets at the beach, etc. No regrets.

If you moved just before or after retirement, why did you move and how has it worked out for you?

I keep toying with the idea of moving from CA to FL for hopefully lower cost of living and entertainment options (thinking Orlando area). Part of me thinks this is an awful idea because we don't have friends or family in the area and I will melt in the summer heat but I can't stop thinking about it. Watching videos of how much house I can get for my money doesn't help.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Florida is oppressively hot and humid half the year, full of old people and lower standards and expectations (food, construction quality, entertainment). Both places are warm and sunny. Any similarities stop there imo.

Part of the reason we retired early was so we could move away from the city where we lived. It was a mid-sized, Midwestern city with nothing much to recommend it. The only thing keeping us there was our jobs. We were originally planning on moving out West - maybe Colorado or Oregon - but we found it hard to make a decision with so many options on the table. So instead we ended up buying a house less than 300 miles away in an area we knew well from many long weekends away and it was one of the best things we ever did. We like the outdoors and there is much more to do here than in our previous location (spent this afternoon cross country skiing, for example). We have made good friends here since we have more in common with the people in this area than we ever did in our previous place. I still work 400 hours or so for my long time employer (so technically I am only 80% retired), but I do that completely remotely.

The only real downside is we are further away from a major airport so that makes trips a little less convenient - but it’s a small price to pay. Cost of living is similar so that wasn’t really a concern.

What city did you move from and then to?

I had not thought of moving since my children are nearby. But....

I live in an area where the cost of living is high and the cost of housing is just plain astronomical. Neither child will be able to afford a home on their own, perhaps not even with my help. And it would take a lot of help.

One has already moved to another state in order to find work and, maybe be able to afford her own place. A visit would require a plain trip or a minimum two full days road trip.

The another wants to move to another city many hours away by car.

So, I am considering moving. Alas, I can't be close to both. And then my dear lady friend would most likely run off with the pool boy as her children currently live near us.

So, I am thinking of alternatives. Maybe, I should bet a small 2 bedroom condo in some resort area, where the kids will be glad to visit me a few times a year.

So, I am thinking of alternatives. Maybe, I should bet a small 2 bedroom condo in some resort area, where the kids will be glad to visit me a few times a year.

A relative did that in moving to FL, but it turned out all of their kids (and us) were at the beginning of their careers, or in our case mid-career, and didn't have the leave time for visiting. Most people just starting out get no more than two weeks of paid leave if they get any at all and they didn't want to use all or even half of it on one visit, plus airfare back and forth.

In about eight years or so they saw the light and moved back to northern VA where their kids were.

A relative did that in moving to FL, but it turned out all of their kids (and us) were at the beginning of their careers, or in our case mid-career, and didn't have the leave time for visiting. Most people just starting out get no more than two weeks of paid leave if they get any at all and they didn't want to use all or even half of it on one visit, plus airfare back and forth.

In about eight years or so they saw the light and moved back to northern VA where their kids were.

Yeah, you can not assume your kids (or anyone else) will "come visit" just because you live in a nice (warm, resort, exotic, etc.) area. We invited (retired) old friends to come stay with us for a couple of weeks. They agreed since it would cost them an air ticket. THEN their kids asked them to do "something" (probably along the lines of baby sitting) and our friends canceled. Actually, we were neither hurt nor surprised. Many folks live their lives through their kids. We've found that we are unusual in that we do not. I think that's why we have not returned to the mainland. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom