N "Things to Do Before You Die"...

What do you think of the prevalence of these lists?

• They are great fun and get me inspired about my own "to-do" list.

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • They are harmless, just a fantasy.

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • They are harmful, and almost obscene.

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
Well, I've got 14 of that BBC list down, and found that not many others appealed to me.

I want to sail a boat that I have built myself around the Caribbean, and maybe even across the pond.

I would like to spend a day in the Louvre.

I would like to have a picnic lunch sitting atop the Acropolis, looking down on Athens. Ah, to sit (possibly) upon the very stone that Socrates lectured from.

And I would like to shoot at the National Rifle Championships at Camp Perry.

Other than that? I'd like to teach my grandson (coming in Dec) to shoot and to ride motorcycles.

I'd like to see my daughter find a man who treasures her as much as I do, and respects her enough to not sponge off her.

I'd like to have at least another 25 years with my lovely wife.

lthrnck.. some nice things on your list, esp. towards the end!

I posted this not because of the exact BBC items.. but just because I have seen so many versions that are based on mostly "acquisitions" (of items, of trips).. basically all just consumption.

It's true there are some lists that are more personal, and I think those are great.. I tend to cringe at the "must ride Orient Express/ see gorillas in the wild" ones. I get the feeling they reduce life to a series of moments chosen from a catalog. Not so different, perhaps, from the Grand Tour that was de rigueur among the British/American wealthy of the Gilded Age, but without taking a year or two to do it, and especially without the knowledge of history and languages many of them brought to that enterprise.

I don't think the gorillas/dolphins could really take all six billion of us visiting them at once. At least not without our calling first.

Back
Top Bottom