New Observation... days/holiday weekends get fuzzy

DawgMan

Full time employment: Posting here.
Year 1 of full time RE. I was very regimented in my work life... getting up no later than 5:00 am, plowing the fields Mon - Fri, excited about the weekends. Now, sleep in till 6:30 am+, hit the gym, piddle or hit the golf course 2 - 3 times a week, buy/prep/cook good home cooking 3 nights a week, and of course Happy Hour. All of sudden, I have to hit pause and have to ask "what day is it??" New experience for me as everyday feels like a weekend. I suppose I'm the last to know, just need to watch the everyday Happy Hour!:blush:

Year 1 of full time RE. I was very regimented in my work life... getting up no later than 5:00 am, plowing the fields Mon - Fri, excited about the weekends. Now, sleep in till 6:30 am+, hit the gym, piddle or hit the golf course 2 - 3 times a week, buy/prep/cook good home cooking 3 nights a week, and of course Happy Hour. All of sudden, I have to hit pause and have to ask "what day is it??" New experience for me as everyday feels like a weekend. I suppose I'm the last to know, just need to watch the everyday Happy Hour!:blush:

As some put it, when you're fully retired, every day is Blursday.
Just need to check the calendar so you don't have to go to the stores on a weekend and deal with the crowds.

That's for sure! Want to pay attention so I don't try to shop on the weekend.

A buddy of mine and I are both retired. We agreed to meet at a favorite watering hole today for coffee and such. We both forgot it's a holiday and the place would be closed.

Are we too relaxed? Or losing are faculties earlier than we would like?

I almost bought myself one of these upon retirement, but opted not to in the end:

717MRqf8SmL._AC_SX466_.jpg

I almost bought myself one of these upon retirement, but opted not to in the end:

That might be the most useful clock a retiree could own. It not only tells you the day, but you can figure out if it is morning, afternoon, or evening. :dance:

As some put it, when you're fully retired, every day is Blursday.
Just need to check the calendar so you don't have to go to the stores on a weekend and deal with the crowds.

Blursday is correct! Weird sensation for sure. I’m trying to slow it down and smell the roses, but definitely have to check the calendar from time to time. Wait, is that stage 1 “old-timers”?? Or is that just bliss??

I'm going to order one of these...

Or maybe this one.

81b7+lAmIwS._AC_UL320_.jpg

I try to remember when it's Friday (trash pickup/recycle pickup) and I try to remember when the federal holidays are, because the library is closed then.

Other than that, I really don't care what day of the week it is.

I make exceptions for my occasional medical appointments; fortunately I get multiple text and email reminders from my doc and my dentist when I have something scheduled.

Once on Oahu, it's important to know when it's Saturday because our ridiculous traffic is all day instead of just rush hour. Harder to track is pay-day-Friday. That's every other Friday. Traffic is much worse that day as well. YMMV

If it wasn’t for golf, paddleboarding, tai chi, trash/recycle days, and a few TV shows - we would never be able to remember what day it is. :blush:

If it's our day watching grandbaby, it's Tuesday, if it's garbage day, it's Thursday, no shopping days are weekends.
I have to have a calendar or check my iPhone!
But, blessedly, none of the days are "going to work" days!

I've had my retirement clock ever since I retired. Yeah, mine comes in handy - :)

Last week I had some errands to do specifically on Friday.
While drinking my morning coffee one day I realized it was only Thursday. I thought oh good. I still have another day until Friday.
I never thought that while I was working.
I’ve only been retired for 5 months. It didn’t take long to lose track of the day of the week.

I still track the holidays but primarily to plan for potential "dealing with traffic" issues and what might be closed.

Unless there is a family gathering we will stay home for holidays, and do any vacationing during the week or (based on the destination) on "off" weekends.

We have an issue on trash day. We’ve had pickup on Monday for over 20 years. We moved and where we live now it’s on Wednesday. We get lost sometimes on what day it is. It’s a good problem to have. The best is at night or on Sunday I think hey I don’t have to get up at 5 AM tomorrow.

I've been retired nearly two years. As hard as I try i still know exactly what day it is.
It doesn't help that the still w*#king DW constantly reminds me!

DW and I were just discussing this. All major holidays used to mean something, but not anymore. Now they are just another day and in some ways a bit annoying as there are more people around or places are closed.

A reverse of some of the insights on holiday weekends... A friend recently switched from a couple decades of retail to working in an office... This was the first holiday weekend she actually got off. In retail, holiday weekends were workdays, usually mandatory workdays.

I’d be lost without my iPhone. I set repeating reminders to take out the trash, for church, doctor appointments, quarterly taxes, maintenance services scheduled and anything else worth remembering.

Over this past Memorial weekend, I had to put reminders in my phone to schedule a doc appt, pickup prescription, buy DD birthdays gifts, order birthday cake, etc etc etc. I do none of these on a weekend. So good to avoid crowds!

I've made one "day" mistake since retirement 16+ years ago. I showed up for a Dr. appt. 1 day early. I thought Thursday was Friday. That actually frightened me and I'm making a point to watch the calendar more closely and confirm day/date before actually going someplace. I wonder if I do need one of those day clocks - just to be sure.

Or maybe this one.

81b7+lAmIwS._AC_UL320_.jpg

We bought one for my wife's aging and forgetful parents. After initially complaining that they are still as sharp as ever, it took just 2 or 3 days until they fell in love with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom