Not my circus, not my monkey

Thanks for the link... I first read the monkey management article back in the early 80's and I followed it's tenants for years. Passed it along to the many new managers that made their way up our food chain during my career.

I had another monkey quote that applied to the w*rk:

"just because you got the monkey off YOUR back doesn't mean that the circus has left town'

First introduced to the "monkey" idea in 1980 by my boss. He was a very good and patient mentor for a 20 year old with a wide pore filter ;). The idea of not assuming responsibility for other's work did stick :)

Here's a link to a Harvard Business Review article from 1974, may have been the origin of "monkeys" into corporate lexicon.

https://myhbp.org/leadingedge/d/cla?&c=34022&i=34044&cs=9178c950820220739a6740a6b1ca6bfc

My garsh! I heard a new phrase in passing yesterday!

We need to grassroots this information.

Thanks for the link... I first read the monkey management article back in the early 80's and I followed it's tenants for years. Passed it along to the many new managers that made their way up our food chain during my career.

I had another monkey quote that applied to the w*rk:

"just because you got the monkey off YOUR back doesn't mean that the circus has left town'
Yes I think it was attributed to George Carlin. Another sign of the widespread acceptance of Oncken's teaching.

A saying where I used to be was "The circus that never travels."

It was funny. And it wasn't.

Sooooo glad to be out of there!

Like many here, I "self-identified" with the work I did.
Don't know how accurate that statement is. I could be wrong, but I suspect many people on this board didn't/don't especially find their identities through their respective occupations. I know it doesn't apply to me!

The Poles have a great saying that I discovered: "Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy", which translates literally to "Not my circus, not my monkey", or more colloquially, "not my problem".
The Navy expression for this is: "not my part ship".

Now that I am retired, I am soooooo glad I never have to hear the comment "Why don't you reach out to XYZ"

What I always wanted to say was "I don't reach out to people. I call them, talk to them, send them a letter or email. If I reach out it will be to wring your neck the next you say reach out":D
Yeah baby! Horrible, meaningless jargon. :banghead:

And we all need to strive to be thought leaders. Ugh.
Ugh indeed! Ditto "change agents". :facepalm:

I'd like to thank the OP for giving me a new saying to better express my sentiments regarding many of life's unexpected situations. In my former life at Top Dog Steel my favorite expression when faced with problems created by the stupidity of others was DILLIGAF. Not sure about the language restrictions here so I leave it to you to decipher if you care to.

One way of refusing to take on more work that I recall was "I just don't have the bandwith".

One way of refusing to take on more work that I recall was "I just don't have the bandwith".
"Thanks for reaching out to me. Right now I'm laser focused on other asks and just don't have the bandwidth."

I'd like to thank the OP for giving me a new saying to better express my sentiments regarding many of life's unexpected situations. In my former life at Top Dog Steel my favorite expression when faced with problems created by the stupidity of others was DILLIGAF. Not sure about the language restrictions here so I leave it to you to decipher if you care to.

You forgot the other F for "flying":D

Back
Top Bottom