NY Times New Puzzle - Connections

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
NYTimes Connection Game.jpg

I searched but didn't see any references to the new NY Times puzzle, "Connections." I've been playing it for about two weeks now and I find it challenging.

You are presented with 16 different words. The words have an underlying common connection to each other. The idea is to place the items into groups of four that share the same category in common.

For example 4 of the 16 words might be:
Fairlane, Galaxy, Pinto, Thunderbird

These are names of bygone Ford vehicles. You might group them together. This is a relatively easy example. They get harder, much harder.

I've only solved 5 puzzles out of 9 tries so far.

Last edited:
Interesting and worth looking into. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for posting. I play Wordle, Spelling Bee and the Mini Crossword every day and had seen this game pop up. I played it a few times and then never saw it again.

I'm enjoying these brain exercise kind of games and puzzles. I also play Quordle and an occasional Sudoku.

https://www.nytimes.com/games/connections

Today's results - Connections

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 11.26.00 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 11.26.00 AM.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I didn't like Connections at first, but I've gradually come to enjoy it, right along with Spelling Bee, Wordle and Waffle.

I been playing it for some time now but not good at it. lol

I have been enjoying it, too.

Today, I was good but not perfect:

Connections
Puzzle #116
🟦🟦πŸŸͺ🟦
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ
🟦🟦🟦🟦

I tried it, but after a few rounds:

β€’ words that are things
β€’ things that are words
β€’ words that might have gone in either of the first two groups
β€’ what difference does it make, it's whatever's left

(stolen from twitter)

Connections was mentioned briefly in the Wordle thread. I’ve been playing since then. Fun game!

I liked Connections....until today. The purple theme really irked me, and caused me to "strike out". But I'll play it again, I usually put the words in Notepad until I am sure I have it, or I have to start guessing.

I also really enjoy Tiles in Zen mode sometimes. I got a chain of over 200 once.

Last edited:
Rushed into it without enough analysis. Solved it, but took the maximum number of guesses.

Connections 117.jpg

Took me a while but I got it.

Connections
Puzzle #118
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺ🟨πŸŸͺ
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟨🟨🟨🟨

I've also been playing it for a couple months now I guess. I like it. Today's took me a while, and I missed one guess. But I eventually got all 4 categories.

I took one look at today's with all the names and decided to skip it. I hate ones like this, some words (names) have probably dozens if not hundreds of interpretations and there's no obvious one unless you already have the same idea in mind as the author. With words, there are generally only a handful of uses.

I took one look at today's with all the names and decided to skip it. I hate ones like this, some words (names) have probably dozens if not hundreds of interpretations and there's no obvious one unless you already have the same idea in mind as the author. With words, there are generally only a handful of uses.
It was actually the easiest one I've done so far. Perfect solve in 4 tries.

Connections
Puzzle #118
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟦🟦🟦🟦

Today's was easier, I don't like ones that lend themselves to too many interpretations and possible solutions, I prefer ones where there's only one, but it's hard to find. I hated the recent one that used homophones for insects, I usually think too literally to catch on, although now maybe if they use that again I'll be able to get it.

Connections
Puzzle #119
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟦🟦🟦🟦

Last edited:
I've been playing since someone mentioned it in the Wordle thread. I actually like it more than Wordle, I think.

Connections
Puzzle #119
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩
πŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺπŸŸͺ
🟦🟦🟦🟦

Back
Top Bottom