Passion has Evolved

As I have transitioned into retirement mode my interests have changed. I always joked that commerce was my hobby having run several businesses over the years now that I am mostly retired the idea of making money has lost is fervor for me. I rediscovered alpine skiing in January and did 51 days. I'm looking forward to the next season, but trust me after six months of winter I don't want it that bad. I do lots of gardening and working on our older home. I've been a house restorer for 36 years and still enjoy that. Fly fishing and canoeing are other passions when the weather is right. My wife and I do many of these together along with mtn biking. She still works part time and will for 3-5 more years. We have lots of friends that play golf as did my dad, but I never really found it that fun.

DW and I began snowbirding about 5 years ago. Sunny, warm "down south" location. Blue skies and mostly 60's and 70's Jan-March. Lots of walking/biking. Play around with "hobby business" a couple of hours each day, but that is about it. Condo means no upkeep/yard work.

Sometimes we get back to the Midwest and friends ask what we did for all 90 days of "birding". Mostly nothing. Except we did exactly what we wanted to do.

Never thought I could enjoy it so much!

Ouch. I was hoping golf would be my go to for a long time. Thankfully I live in Michigan and because of winter, golf is only part of the year. Maybe that will help.

I used to be an avid golfer. I haven't played in nearly 7 years. Golf in Florida is EVERYWHERE and it's fairly inexpensive. I guess I just lost my desire. Maybe it will return once I retire. :)

Mike

Last edited:
My activity passions have evolved over the years. In my 20s and into my 30s scuba diving was tops. In my 30s skiing joined in, In my 40s windsurfing took over and warm winter vacations aced out skiing. In my late 50s and ER rigging up windsurfers became too much of a PITA and I swapped back to skiing and snowboarding. Tried golf for a couple of years - nah. Then in my late 50s I went on a bike tour with DW and we both became hooked. Biking feels like the pastime/passion that will stick through the final years. We both enjoy it and do it together. We love international bike tours and take at least one a year. DC has good trails for daily rides. And to help us stick with it, E-assist bikes are becoming better and better and will be waiting in the wings if we need them in our twilight years.

Just wondering if our hobbies become --for some of us at least--like our decision to RE.

When financially able, after a while we just want to do something different.

My wife and I have a small greenhouse that makes growing herbs, and veggies a bit easier, upon retirement, we would like to expand to a larger greenhouse that has some sort of heat for extending the seasons earlier, and later.

Also considering the purchase of a small 14' aluminum fishing boat with a trolling motor, for fishing the local lakes, and reservoirs.

Last edited:
Are we losing passion? Or just getting older? Like, does your old passion now get in the way of nap time?

I used to love boating. Lost the passion and sold the boat. But now I love kayaking. As it turns out, I now have a passion for activities that can be done where it is very quiet. Biking in the woods, kayaking, hiking, reading.

I just sold my Porsche 944 today, looking at selling my 2004 Mustang GT, and getting a newer 2011^ Mustang GT daily driver. I lost my passion for Porsches, and found my passion for much cheaper, much faster Mustangs.

See how we have changed to enjoy simple activities that generally cost less or are free?

That's part of the Bernicke effect of people spending less as they age.

I used to love boating. Lost the passion and sold the boat. But now I love kayaking. As it turns out, I now have a passion for activities that can be done where it is very quiet. Biking in the woods, kayaking, hiking, reading.

Interesting you have evolved to like quiet activities. I have definitely become less tolerant to noise. So much so, that I went through extensive work to sound proof the cab of my diesel truck. Quietness is definitely one reason I enjoy bicycling in the country. It's calming.

I just sold my Porsche 944 today, looking at selling my 2004 Mustang GT, and getting a newer 2011^ Mustang GT daily driver. I lost my passion for Porsches, and found my passion for much cheaper, much faster Mustangs.

Whew...you had me scared there when I started to read your post! It sounded like you were giving it all up but the rebound was nice! Love those fast Mustangs (had 5, DD has a 2014 GT Premium Edition).

I completely and unexpectedly lost a passion to train for and compete in endurance events once I retired. It seems the stress of work provided the fuel needed to hammer my body. I now enjoy house projects, fly fishing, and the occasional hike or mountain bike ride.

This thread is quite fascinating. Someone asked me the other day what I wanted to do when I retire, and I said "first, help my sister clean out her house. Then help my mom clean out HER house." I love the idea of helping others get out from under their burdens, especially when they're unable to help themselves.

I worry a bit about my hubby and I clashing once we're retired, as he likes to mostly sit in a recliner and watch awful things like Fox news channel ... I've already told him he's gonna need to up his game once we're spending more time with one another or he's gonna need "a checkup from the neck up", lol!

Me, I also want to foster more dogs--especially older/special needs ones that require more attention; earn more powerlifting records (I got 3 national records at age 60!); and do lots more around our property to make it look/feel nicer.

I used to love boating and getting away for the weekend when working 9-5's. Being retired, I now find boating wasteful and not a gratifying way spend money. Now, going for a bicycle ride in the quiet countryside has peaked the passion meter. When riding, you are actively engaged in the moment(sights, sounds smells), all while doing the body good.

Tuning up home base has also turned into gratifying passion. We truly love our homestead, calling it the mountain cabin. Every sunny day, we tell each other "The Resort is open" and go outside to work in the yard. Since retiring, we've traveled twice to Hawaii and California and honestly, was bored. Couldn't wait to get back to home base.

Retirement has allowed us to slow down and smell the roses. Who knew the simple things are so gratifying!

So agree. I spent time traveling right after I retired. Now I am a homebody who is happy tending my gardens, having a beautiful lawn, and watching my 3 Frenchys be silly.

Teach him how to use podcasts to break the Fox News couch habit.

Hours of great conservative politics that you can listen to doing yard work, cooking, biking, walking and so on.

In retirement, I have lost some passion for tinkering with/understanding/integrating IT technology. It was an enjoyable part of my job, and I was getting paid well for it, to the point where I had a "home data center" along with the work lab I managed to deal with various It software technologies, and was reading around 200 pages a week to keep it. Since retiring I thought I might keep tinkering, but as it turns out I have not been nearly as active with it, and more than half my home data center has stayed dark.

I have gotten several job offers to do the same, but they have all been fulltime opportunities requiring commuting, easy to turn down... I also do not have the passion for paid work anymore. :)

This thread is inspiring in that it shows you can re-invent your dreams at any age, no matter what the ability or interest, or even disability. You may have a vision for what your retirement will be - but the best vision is to realize you have the freedom for it to become whatever you decide you want or need it to be. The only constant is change. :D
Well said, simple girl.

After retiring, I realized that many of the activities I thought I'd want to do more of were just stress busters. And w/o the stress of work, they weren't all that appealing anymore.
I completely and unexpectedly lost a passion to train for and compete in endurance events once I retired. It seems the stress of work provided the fuel needed to hammer my body. I now enjoy house projects, fly fishing, and the occasional hike or mountain bike ride.
Many of us probably confused passion with stress busting. I sure did.

Are we losing passion? Or just getting older? Like, does your old passion now get in the way of nap time?
Good question. I often wonder how aging affects the choices I make, along with DW, siblings, and others that are close and similar age. Perhaps we tell ourselves (and each other) little white lies instead of facing the truth.

One thing I am sure of is, retirement allows me to choose to spend more time doing things I enjoy, less time doing things I dislike, and my overall sense of satisfaction with life has never been higher.

Thank you for this post! I feel redeemed in a way.

This is amazing, I could have written this message verbatim. My boating has been centered around fishing mostly but plenty of family boating as well. I have boated and fished my entire life. Throughout that time it was something I lived and breathed anticipating the day when I retired and could do it all the time. But I find the desire has waned.

Since retired (only 4 months) I find the best part of my day is walking my new puppy in the woods, off leash, and seeing the occasional deer. I also enjoy riding my bike on trails and on the Cape Cod Canal. My workouts are also more important to me now (mostly power-lifting) that I am retired. I also have a "resort" and would rather be on the resort working on the yard or on the house than traveling to pretty much anywhere.

I've been blaming lack of energy for this transition. Maybe not. Perhaps it is just a new vision of life and what it has to offer.

Bummer about loosing it for endurance events (assuming that this isn't power snoring). Was planning on lots of long runs when I RE.

Oh: Welcome MtnMan & enjoy it here!:)

I was downright obsessive about my hobbies and interests while w*rking. I think I wanted to carve out my own private escape time. I was huge into music, photography, biking, and kayaking. I used to kayak in weather so cold that spray would freeze on the surface of my gear. I only averaged around 6 hours of sleep in order to fit in my all hobbies after w*rk. Absolutely crazy!

Now, I still enjoy these hobbies, but I'm growing less obsessive. I stopped riding and boating in awful weather. I still enjoy my music and photo, but I've stopped obsessively upgrading gear and no longer w*rk on project well into the early AM. I feel so much more RELAXED!

Even vacations have slowed down. We drive everywhere; we haven't been to an airport since retiring. We now under-schedule or have no schedule at all, figuring it out as we go. We love NOT having a fixed return date. Our last 2 week snowbirding road trip lasted over 5 weeks.

I must confess, though, that we are slowing down, as much as i hate to admit it. Did some crazy, maybe even dangerous stuff in kayaks years ago. Now, when in doubt, we just go to dinner instead of taking risks on the big water. Used to backpack years ago, and I miss it. Ground has gotten much harder throughout the years though...

Last edited:
One thing I am sure of is, retirement allows me to choose to spend more time doing things I enjoy, less time doing things I dislike, and my overall sense of satisfaction with life has never been higher.

Yep, this covers a lot of it. Doing what I enjoy with people whose company I enjoy has made all the difference.

We have also tuned up home base, but still love travelling.

I worry a bit about my hubby and I clashing once we're retired, as he likes to mostly sit in a recliner and watch awful things like Fox news channel ... I've already told him he's gonna need to up his game once we're spending more time with one another or he's gonna need "a checkup from the neck up", lol!
When people ask me "How is retirement?" I first tell them it is great! I get to sit around all day and watch cable news.

And then I wait for The Look.

Ha ha ha, I can't let it go too long. Cable news of any flavor is the last damn thing I want to watch. I do watch a bit more Science and Discovery. I try to limit it though and get out of the house for most of the day.

But if it works for your husband, you can always get another setup in a different room and watch wonderful MSNBC all day. Dinners would be really nice when you sync up.

Back
Top Bottom