Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2020, 05:25 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This exactly what we try to do, the other aspects still need more work. It is definitely a game of strategy.
You should watch how the pros return the serve. They often hit the ball with a slice type return, which "floats" the ball somewhat in the back third of the court.
This allows more time to get the net much easier. If you can slice the ball, this shot is not too difficult, especially on the forehand.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2020, 05:27 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
The new Vanguard series from Selkirk is $199. Paddles are getting a lot more expensive. The manufacturers are claiming that they have spent a lot of money on R&D and therefore have to charge more.

There are many paddles in the $80 dollars are quite good. Champion's paddles are priced in $60 range. I think they are just good as others that cost about $80.

I play with Peddletek Element, which is no longer made. It has nice control and power. I bought it for $45 when it was on sales from Pickleball Central. DW likes to play with the latest and the greatest. I bought her the Peddletek Tempest Wave Pro 6 months ago. Now she wants to 'upgrade' to the Vanguard series from Selkirk, hoping to improve her game.
I get your DW. LOL
I just bought the Vanguard last week. Love the paddle.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
You should watch how the pros return the serve. They often hit the ball with a slice type return, which "floats" the ball somewhat in the back third of the court.
This allows more time to get the net much easier. If you can slice the ball, this shot is not too difficult, especially on the forehand.
I've been watching some slow motion video which I have found helpful. I do return some shots with a slice, but have not really done that on return of serve. I have experimented a few times with a slice serve and that is a killer shot if I hit it correctly and put it in the right spot. My fellow players get mad at me when I experiment on different ways to hit the ball, as my experimenting can sometimes cost our team points, LOL. My new Rally PXL paddle, cost me $49, is a big improvement vs the cheap wooden paddles we started with.

Are there any books or video lessons that would be worthwhile spending a few $s on? There are a few instructors in the area, but with Covid this is not a great time to book lessons indoors and outdoors the weather is getting colder and windier.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been watching some slow motion video which I have found helpful. I do return some shots with a slice, but have not really done that on return of serve. I have experimented a few times with a slice serve and that is a killer shot if I hit it correctly and put it in the right spot. My fellow players get mad at me when I experiment on different ways to hit the ball, as my experimenting can sometimes cost our team points, LOL. My new Rally PXL paddle, cost me $49, is a big improvement vs the cheap wooden paddles we started with.

Are there any books or video lessons that would be worthwhile spending a few $s on? There are a few instructors in the area, but with Covid this is not a great time to book lessons indoors and outdoors the weather is getting colder and windier.
See below for some video lessons from In2pickle. The lead instructor for this site is Tony Roig and he is very detailed. He takes actual situations and analyzes what they did, what they should/could have done, etc.

https://in2pickle.com/pages/pickleball-videos

As for the slice return of serve, since you have this type of shot in your arsenal, you can use it on many returns without too much effort. Again the purpose is not to win the point on the return, but to get to the kitchen line much easier.

As for slice serves, I use them to some extent and more so if the wind is moving left to right when serving from the "ad court".
As you move up in level though, you will find most agile (even if older) players can get to these serves and thus if your "out" serves are more than 1 per game, it probably is not worth it.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the challenges of improving your skill level in pickleball is the better you get the fewer balls people will hit to you. Teams will try to pick on the weaker play to win a game, so if you start making too many shots they will direct the balls to your partner. If your partner is not as strong as you, it will eventually feel like you are standing around watching the game while your partner is playing singles.

This can be really frustrating during open play if I can’t find a strong partner to play with.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
See below for some video lessons from In2pickle. The lead instructor for this site is Tony Roig and he is very detailed. He takes actual situations and analyzes what they did, what they should/could have done, etc.

https://in2pickle.com/pages/pickleball-videos

As for the slice return of serve, since you have this type of shot in your arsenal, you can use it on many returns without too much effort. Again the purpose is not to win the point on the return, but to get to the kitchen line much easier.

As for slice serves, I use them to some extent and more so if the wind is moving left to right when serving from the "ad court".
As you move up in level though, you will find most agile (even if older) players can get to these serves and thus if your "out" serves are more than 1 per game, it probably is not worth it.
Thanks for that link, looks like a good one.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #47

Quote:
I get your DW. LOL
I just bought the Vanguard last week. Love the paddle.
That's nice. The reviews say it offers great control and possibly a game changer. Enjoy.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
One of the challenges of improving your skill level in pickleball is the better you get the fewer balls people will hit to you. Teams will try to pick on the weaker play to win a game, so if you start making too many shots they will direct the balls to your partner. If your partner is not as strong as you, it will eventually feel like you are standing around watching the game while your partner is playing singles.

This can be really frustrating during open play if I can’t find a strong partner to play with.
For a doubles game, you should always partner with someone who is at your level if possible.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:57 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
For a doubles game, you should always partner with someone who is at your level if possible.
In rec play this concept can be difficult at times depending who you play with.
Even in mixed double play when the partners are relatively equal, sometimes the female player is targeted by the male player especially if a hard hitter.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

One of guys I play with found an instructor that does not charge for lessons and he spent some time with us yesterday. He showed us a lot of drills that were quite helpful. He also had a Selkirk Vanguard and Amped S2. I got to try his S2 for a few drills from the NVL and it was a huge improvement in control and being able to absorb a hot shot and just had an overall more solid feel vs my paddle. I can see why Dtail and Ready speak highly of these paddles. I did not get to try his Vanguard.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:39 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One of guys I play with found an instructor that does not charge for lessons and he spent some time with us yesterday. He showed us a lot of drills that were quite helpful. He also had a Selkirk Vanguard and Amped S2. I got to try his S2 for a few drills from the NVL and it was a huge improvement in control and being able to absorb a hot shot and just had an overall more solid feel vs my paddle. I can see why Dtail and Ready speak highly of these paddles. I did not get to try his Vanguard.
Good to see you tried it. The Vanguard for me has even more control and less stress on the elbow than the Amped.
The Selkirk upper level racquets are designed to be able to absorb the blows, as their thickness in design works nicely.
I am more of a control type player than a "banger", so the specific S2 type of racquet works better for me.
Keep practicing when you can and you will get even better.
Be careful, as it can become obsessive. lol
Old 12-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #52

Our park is talking about converting unused shuffleboard courts to pickleball. I am interested in playing, but I hurt my knee years ago skiing, and cannot make the turns require for tennis. Can I play pickleball?
Thanks
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:42 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Our park is talking about converting unused shuffleboard courts to pickleball. I am interested in playing, but I hurt my knee years ago skiing, and cannot make the turns require for tennis. Can I play pickleball?
Thanks
The knee pressure in Pickleball is more of the crouching variety. Are you able to crouch down, then back up to a standing position with no pain?
The turn to hit the ball in Pickleball is more of a step forward shot with a shoulder rotation; less knee rotation than tennis, but there can be some rotation on occasion.
Give it a try and see what happens.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anybody playing pickleball after a hip replacement? I've been playing basketball but that is now out after THR. I played some pickleball as a lark and seemed to pick it up pretty quickly and enjoyed it. Wondering if it's something I could play when healed. I mean, I know I can play if I take it easy but I'm concerned about bending low for certain shots. I don't think I have the disposition to just let some shots go and concede the point.
garyt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Anybody playing pickleball after a hip replacement? I've been playing basketball but that is now out after THR. I played some pickleball as a lark and seemed to pick it up pretty quickly and enjoyed it. Wondering if it's something I could play when healed. I mean, I know I can play if I take it easy but I'm concerned about bending low for certain shots. I don't think I have the disposition to just let some shots go and concede the point.

DH had his hip replacement three years ago; we’ve been playing pickleball for two years. He does fine.

We find that aches and pains aren’t a function of how hard we play, but rather how often we play and playing surface. Outdoor courts (pavement) make my legs and feet hurt more than wooden indoor courts.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
DH had his hip replacement three years ago; we’ve been playing pickleball for two years. He does fine.

We find that aches and pains aren’t a function of how hard we play, but rather how often we play and playing surface. Outdoor courts (pavement) make my legs and feet hurt more than wooden indoor courts.
Don't know about hip replacement play, but definitely agree with the above statement as to frequency and type of court.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
My partner had a hip replacement years ago and seems to be doing fine. We both started as beginners a few weeks ago.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

The guys I play with all upgraded to better paddles, so I relented and ordered a Gearbox GX6 8.5oz power paddle. Played with it today for the first time and it blew me away. I was a bit skeptical that a paddle could make much of difference, but was quite surprised at how much better this paddle performed vs my $49 dollar starter paddle.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The guys I play with all upgraded to better paddles, so I relented and ordered a Gearbox GX6 8.5oz power paddle. Played with it today for the first time and it blew me away. I was a bit skeptical that a paddle could make much of difference, but was quite surprised at how much better this paddle performed vs my $49 dollar starter paddle.
Good for you. Many folks don't believe a higher quality paddle can make a difference, until they play with one.
8.5 oz is definitely a little on the heavy side, but if it feels right to you, that's good.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:55 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good for you. Many folks don't believe a higher quality paddle can make a difference, until they play with one.
8.5 oz is definitely a little on the heavy side, but if it feels right to you, that's good.
It honestly does not feel any heavier to me than the old one which I believe was 7.8oz. One thing that concerned me is Gearbox's largest offered handle size is 3 15/16", but the smaller size made no difference to me. I am now playing with a glove which also helped me.