Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
It honestly does not feel any heavier to me than the old one which I believe was 7.8oz. One thing that concerned me is Gearbox's largest offered handle size is 3 15/16", but the smaller size made no difference to me. I am now playing with a glove which also helped me.
The glove will certainly come in handy during summer play, although the pros never use one.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Playing with a glove is challenging because it puts a layer between you and your paddle. So much of pickleball is feeling that connection between the paddle and ball and getting just the right touch down to hit the ball without popping it up. I used to use a glove when I played racquetball but when I tried one playing pickleball it did not go well for me.

Gearbox makes nice paddles. My Selkirk is 8.4 ounces. My prior one was only 7.8 ounces and I notice a big difference with the heavier paddle, especially when hitting into the wind.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:38 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Playing with a glove is challenging because it puts a layer between you and your paddle. So much of pickleball is feeling that connection between the paddle and ball and getting just the right touch down to hit the ball without popping it up. I used to use a glove when I played racquetball but when I tried one playing pickleball it did not go well for me.

Gearbox makes nice paddles. My Selkirk is 8.4 ounces. My prior one was only 7.8 ounces and I notice a big difference with the heavier paddle, especially when hitting into the wind.
True, but playing outside in FLA with 7 months of summer, my paddle handle was getting soaked through and slippery without a glove.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
True, but playing outside in FLA with 7 months of summer, my paddle handle was getting soaked through and slippery without a glove.

Well I am not a pickleball player, but have played racquetball for 44 years. Several years ago started wearing a thin cotton liner glove under my RB glove. Like those "dust tester" gloves, I think Racquet World sells them. I play 2+ hours in the courts and never change a glove. Give it a try if you are having glove-soak issues. Might feel a little bulky at first, but makes a huge difference. Just throw them in the laundry when they get skunky.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Well I am not a pickleball player, but have played racquetball for 44 years. Several years ago started wearing a thin cotton liner glove under my RB glove. Like those "dust tester" gloves, I think Racquet World sells them. I play 2+ hours in the courts and never change a glove. Give it a try if you are having glove-soak issues. Might feel a little bulky at first, but makes a huge difference. Just throw them in the laundry when they get skunky.
Sorry but let me be more clear. If I don't wear a glove, then my paddle handle soaks through. I am fine with a glove.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #66

Quote:
Sorry but let me be more clear. If I don't wear a glove, then my paddle handle soaks through. I am fine with a glove.

I saw that after I posted, my bad. But to anyone using a glove and having glove soak issues, the liners are amazing. Not sure what the science behind it is, but the grip just never deteriorates when using them.

What are the pickleball paddle grips made of? Years ago the RB grips were wrapped leather or synthetics of some sort, but would absorb moisture and get sloppy after a while. Today, we all use textured surface rubber grips. They will destroy a glove eventually, but the grip, sweaty or not, is no longer an issue.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:09 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

My hand sweats both with and without the glove, but I have a more secure grip with the glove and do not notice much of a loss of feel/touch. We have been playing mostly indoors which can be a bit warmer at this time of year. Glove use is really personal preference and is no different than baseball, where some play without batting gloves, while others use one glove on non-dominant hand, and others on both hands. I am using my softball batting glove, so nothing special. I have heard some like the gloves with the finger cutouts, but have not tried that type.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:30 AM   #68

What type of shoes are you guys wearing for outdoor PB? I wear basketball shoes indoors because I like the support of a 3/4 shoe. Trainers? Tennis shoes? As in real shoes made for tennis, not the generic for sneakers.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
What type of shoes are you guys wearing for outdoor PB? I wear basketball shoes indoors because I like the support of a 3/4 shoe. Trainers? Tennis shoes? As in real shoes made for tennis, not the generic for sneakers.
I wear Asics brand made for tennis shoe for outdoor pickleball. Cost is in the 100-125 range.
There are shoes made specifically for Pickleball, but I doubt they would be any different than a true tennis shoe.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #70

Quote:
I wear Asics brand made for tennis shoe for outdoor pickleball. Cost is in the 100-125 range.
There are shoes made specifically for Pickleball, but I doubt they would be any different than a true tennis shoe.
I prefer k-swiss made for tennis shoes. they have a lot of support and are very comfortable. i do wear asics indoor court shoes for both racquetball, squash and indoor pickleball.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #71

I wear ASICS tennis shoes. We have an ASICS outlet store nearby that always carries one or two different styles and they frequently have a buy one get one free sale so I can get two pairs for around $80. But any “court” shoe will provide the lateral support you need to play pickleball. Just don’t use running shoes because they are not designed for side to side movements.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #72

My problem is I need wide width. Almost impossible to find in stores. I usually stick with New Balance.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #73

New Balance shoes for Tennis.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:37 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
My problem is I need wide width. Almost impossible to find in stores. I usually stick with New Balance.
New Balance should work for you in their tennis shoes.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:49 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I wear a New Balance cross training sneaker, also because of wide feet. They are great.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #76

My wife decided she wants to start playing so I'll give her my old paddle for now and picked up a used Selkirk Invikta Amped for $89 on ebay. Be interested to see if I notice a huge difference.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Between playing pickleball 5 days a week and starting to play softball my right wrist has experienced some tendinitis. To get around this, I started to play left handed. It's tough, but after 3 days of playing I am improving. My serve is decent, but the ground strokes need more work. Anyone else go thru a bout of tendinitis from too much play or have experimented playing with their non-dominant hand?
Old 04-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #78

Quote:
Between playing pickleball 5 days a week and starting to play softball my right wrist has experienced some tendinitis. To get around this, I started to play left handed. It's tough, but after 3 days of playing I am improving. My serve is decent, but the ground strokes need more work. Anyone else go thru a bout of tendinitis from too much play or have experimented playing with their non-dominant hand?
We see a lot of people get pain in the elbow and shoulder here. In general my observation is it comes from having a substantial back swing or windmill swing where the player brings their paddle back beyond their shoulder and does a big wind up before hitting it. Over time this can cause repetitive injury. When we coach them how to make their swing more compact, using their core to build power rather than their arm and shoulder, the pain usually goes away.

The other cause of joint pain can come from using a cheap paddle that doesn’t absorb the vibration well. But I think I recall you saying you are using a high end Selkirk paddle, so that probably would not apply to you.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:53 PM   #79

I was a really good paddleball player (I never played pickleball) and I wore running shoes. About 15 years ago I bought court shoes for my comeback attempt. I got plantar fasciitis. I'm not going to say running shoes are safer, but they do let you hold your leg out to the side while keeping your foot closer to its natural position in relation to your leg (no ankle bend). My running shoes also slid a little during quick changes in direction when my leg was out, which I found more comfortable. Not as responsive but less jarring and in a way I had more control.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Had some wrist tendinitis at first, but it disappeared over time. Yes as @Ready states, a shorter stroke is helpful.
Unless you are truly ambidextrous, it could be difficult to play at the same level with your non dominant hand. Some players switch to the non dominant hand instead of a backhand for some strokes, but it is typically not with the same efficiency and speed.
Yes, a higher end paddle tends to absorb the strokes better, which would typically help with elbow tendinitis.