Pickle Ball?

Serving techniques cause some discussion by us. I am of the opinion that a slower type accurate serve is more important, since the better players can handle 99% of the serves.
I serve the ball out about once a week while playing 6x weekly. There are many games when a blown serve really changes the momentum in a tight game.

There is a lot to be said about getting all serves in. I try not to become predictable as to what I am going to do, but I do try to exploit an opponents weakness and also use the wind where it helps me.

My partner and I played in a tournament today and won our first medal, albeit 3rd place. It was a mens doubles, no age breaks, 3.0 - 3.5 - 4.0. Felt pretty worn out keeping up with younger players, we were the oldest pair. I am finding it a challenge to deal with tall players with long arms who are at the NVL given their extreme reach into the kitchen area. How do you deal with those types?

Partner with them ;-)

If there is one partner that isn’t as good @ the NVL, try to go to them. Try higher and shorter drop shots/dinks some times they will try to over reach to volley when they are descending and will mis-hit them.

Partner with them ;-)

If there is one partner that isn’t as good @ the NVL, try to go to them. Try higher and shorter drop shots/dinks some times they will try to over reach to volley when they are descending and will mis-hit them.

Agree, although can be a little more difficult shot to execute.
You can also practice hitting some 3rd shot drives to mix in.

Otherwise, it mainly is something you might have to get used to. Most of the best pro male players as an example are over 6ft tall.

Agree, although can be a little more difficult shot to execute.
You can also practice hitting some 3rd shot drives to mix in.

Otherwise, it mainly is something you might have to get used to. Most of the best pro male players as an example are over 6ft tall.

As an aside, congrats on your medal.
It can be difficult playing against younger players, but it is one of the few sports where one can play reasonably well against younger players.

One last weapon is once at the NVL, if you can, you should practice being able to lob the ball over their heads to push them back. Not an easy shot, but doable if you use lots of touch on the ball.

finally when you watch the pros you see that even if they can reach into the NVL, they are very careful about speeding the ball up because they know there opponents are anticipating a fast ball and are ready to block or counter attack it. Practicing anticipation of speed ups and being able to block or counter is something I am trying to work on but that higher level players are very good at.

I had a partner last year who was 29 years old, 6’3” with arms like an octopus. There were not a lot of shots in the NVZ that he could not reach and volley. We won a lot of games together. It’s just part of the game but there is a clear advantage to being tall and having long arms. Sadly, I was not blessed with either.

Thanks guys, I definitely need more practice playing against younger and better players. In most sports that is the key to improving. Even tried to lob these guys a few times, but did not place my lobs well enough. These young 30+ are fast and they get back quickly and in position to hit a good return shot.

Thanks guys, I definitely need more practice playing against younger and better players. In most sports that is the key to improving. Even tried to lob these guys a few times, but did not place my lobs well enough. These young 30+ are fast and they get back quickly and in position to hit a good return shot.

Try developing using lobs when dinking at the NVZ. Over time, these can be very effective, even against taller players. If you have soft hands, the stroke can mimic a dink and effectively it is disguised temporarily.

Surprisingly, we discovered that tennis is easier, less athletically demanding, than Pickleball.

Another key factor is the availability of well organized games or access to courts.

The ideal is 5 or 6 people of close ability rotating through, with rest breaks, with courts that can be reserved.

You may also find that you have access to well organized pickle in one location, and tennis in another.

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered previously (I didn't read through the entire thread), but I'm wondering: why do folks play pickleball as opposed to just tennis? Tennis courts are much more widely available (at least here in Georgia) and the two sports seem quite similar. Or, at least, similar enough that the wider, easier availability of courts and players would, IMHO, make plain old tennis the most straightforward choice. Not trying to disparage pickleball enthusiasts at all here... just genuinely curious.

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered previously (I didn't read through the entire thread), but I'm wondering: why do folks play pickleball as opposed to just tennis? Tennis courts are much more widely available (at least here in Georgia) and the two sports seem quite similar. Or, at least, similar enough that the wider, easier availability of courts and players would, IMHO, make plain old tennis the most straightforward choice. Not trying to disparage pickleball enthusiasts at all here... just genuinely curious.

Here is my (impartial) response.
I have played tennis (and ping pong/racketball) many years.
Pickleball is a more strategic game than tennis. Having a really super/fast serve in tennis is a big part of the game and can tilt the game heavily towards the player with a much faster/better serve.
Due to the non volley zone (kitchen) in Pickleball, it adds another dimension to the game that tennis just doesn't have.
A 60 year old team can compete and even beat a similar level 30 year old team. Just not so in tennis, especially in singles.
The game is more popular as a doubles format vs. a singles format in tennis
and thus need less courts to play.
In certain areas such as where I live, there is much availability of pickleball courts and many tennis courts are being converted to pickleball courts.
Overall, there is less running in Pickleball, although still a great workout.
The close up hand speed defensive skills required in Pickleball is much greater.
Women and men tend to be closer in skill levels in Pickleball, especially at the lower levels.

There is also a big difference in the social aspects of pickleball vs tennis. Where I live if you want to play tennis you arrange to meet with other players and you only play with them. Most of the tennis courts in my neighborhood sit around empty.

With pickleball we have an open play format where anyone can show up and put their paddle down to play. The format allows for single people, or people new to the area, to quickly meet a large group of players in the neighborhood. And because the court is much smaller than a tennis court, you are standing fairly close together, which makes it easier to talk to your partner and get to know them better. I’ve met hundreds of people playing pickleball all over the country. I don’t think that ever would have happened if I only played tennis.

Here is my (impartial) response.

I have played tennis (and ping pong/racketball) many years.

Pickleball is a more strategic game than tennis. Having a really super/fast serve in tennis is a big part of the game and can tilt the game heavily towards the player with a much faster/better serve.

Due to the non volley zone (kitchen) in Pickleball, it adds another dimension to the game that tennis just doesn't have.

A 60 year old team can compete and even beat a similar level 30 year old team. Just not so in tennis, especially in singles.

The game is more popular as a doubles format vs. a singles format in tennis

and thus need less courts to play.

In certain areas such as where I live, there is much availability of pickleball courts and many tennis courts are being converted to pickleball courts.

Overall, there is less running in Pickleball, although still a great workout.

The close up hand speed defensive skills required in Pickleball is much greater.

Women and men tend to be closer in skill levels in Pickleball, especially at the lower levels.
Detail,
I agree with your comments, and have one to add.
It is easier for a beginner to be "good enough" at Pickleball to start returning many of the balls coming their way, and start having fun matches.
It takes awhile for a beginner tennis player to start consistently returning the ball.
John H

Detail,
I agree with your comments, and have one to add.
It is easier for a beginner to be "good enough" at Pickleball to start returning many of the balls coming their way, and start having fun matches.
It takes awhile for a beginner tennis player to start consistently returning the ball.
John H

Excellent point that I forgot not to mention @Ready's social reference.
If one has hand/eye coordination not to mention previous experience with either tennis/ping pong or racquetball, they usually have a fairly smooth transition to Pickleball.
Even with no experience but hand/eye coordination, if playing with other beginners, the experience is usually quite a bit of fun fairly quickly.

Excellent point that I forgot not to mention @Ready's social reference.
If one has hand/eye coordination not to mention previous experience with either tennis/ping pong or racquetball, they usually have a fairly smooth transition to Pickleball.
Even with no experience but hand/eye coordination, if playing with other beginners, the experience is usually quite a bit of fun fairly quickly.

Thanks Dtail, JP.mpls, and Ready. Now I have a better sense of pickleball vs. tennis. I'm a long-time tennis player and definitely plan to try out pickleball one of these days.

Thanks Dtail, JP.mpls, and Ready. Now I have a better sense of pickleball vs. tennis. I'm a long-time tennis player and definitely plan to try out pickleball one of these days.

Ditto what the others said, and to add, for me it was the most fun and addictive sport I have ever played and that is usually true for most who try it. And that is why it is the fastest growing sport in America.

Try developing using lobs when dinking at the NVZ. Over time, these can be very effective, even against taller players. If you have soft hands, the stroke can mimic a dink and effectively it is disguised temporarily.

Good point, need to work on that.

I had been a lifelong avid tennis player, peaking at the USTA 4.5-5.0 level.

I didn’t know what pickleball was until couple years ago when I was walked by the community center gym and saw some people playing this wacky game. I walked in and asked what the game was and some nice elderly people taught me how to play.

I became completely addicted to pickleball and have no real desire to play tennis anymore. I just want to play pickleball all the time! Definitely the most fun sport I’ve ever played, very strategic game and very social.

I play tournaments now all the time, currently at a 5.3 UTPR rating. I can’t get enough of it.

I didn’t know what pickleball was until couple years ago when I was walked by the community center gym and saw some people playing this wacky game. I walked in and asked what the game was and some nice elderly people taught me how to play.

I became completely addicted to pickleball and have no real desire to play tennis anymore. I just want to play pickleball all the time! Definitely the most fun sport I’ve ever played, very strategic game and very social.

I play tournaments now all the time, currently at a 5.3 UTPR rating. I can’t get enough of it.

May I ask... Why do you like pickleball over tennis?

May I ask... Why do you like pickleball over tennis?

The beauty of pickleball over tennis is that it relies more on strategy and shot selection rather than the pure athleticism and high level technique that tennis requires at the 5.0+ level.

As I’ve gotten older, my athleticism has declined such that I could no longer compete with the high level younger tennis players. You need to run a lot in tennis, and need good technique to maintain fun, good rallies.

Pickleball blunts the high level athleticism and technique required through the smaller court dimensions and NVL zone. You don’t need as good technique because of the lack of strings to really spin the ball like you can in tennis.

The end result is that rallies are a lot more fun. A good pickleball game, we can often have rallies of 10-20 shots or more, filled with lobs, dinks, ground strokes, smashes, resets. You really need to think about shot selection based on your own position and the opponents positioning.

Tennis is more about hitting a good serve, hitting a good ground stroke or volley to put the ball away. Unless you are super athletic, you just can’t have the sustained rallies with variety and strategy that you can have with pickleball.

In summary, pickleball allows the person with little or medium athleticism to enjoy the strategy and joy of good rallies that you can’t enjoy with tennis unless you are supper athletic with good technique.

Plus I’ve found it a lot easier to find high level pickleball players compared to high level tennis players. Similar high competition makes for more fun games.

Last edited:

I am with you there.
I play 6x weekly and am obsessed with the game. I have reached a 4.0 level and hoping to get to a 4.5 level, but am fine if I don't get there.
Have you ever played in the Pro division, since your level would allow that competition at certain tournaments?

The beauty of pickleball over tennis is that it relies more on strategy and shot selection rather than the pure athleticism and high level technique that tennis requires at the 5.0+ level.

As I’ve gotten older, my athleticism has declined such that I could no longer compete with the high level younger tennis players. You need to run a lot in tennis, and need good technique to maintain fun, good rallies.

Pickleball blunts the high level athleticism and technique required through the smaller court dimensions and NVL zone. You don’t need as good technique because of the lack of strings to really spin the ball like you can in tennis.

The end result is that rallies are a lot more fun. A good pickleball game, we can often have rallies of 10-20 shots or more, filled with lobs, dinks, ground strokes, smashes, resets. You really need to think about shot selection based on your own position and the opponents positioning.

Tennis is more about hitting a good serve, hitting a good ground stroke or volley to put the ball away. Unless you are super athletic, you just can’t have the sustained rallies with variety and strategy that you can have with pickleball.

In summary, pickleball allows the person with little or medium athleticism to enjoy the strategy and joy of good rallies that you can’t enjoy with tennis unless you are supper athletic with good technique.

Plus I’ve found it a lot easier to find high level pickleball players compared to high level tennis players. Similar high competition makes for more fun games.

Agree with all your points.
I find that tennis is more of an offensive game with some defense thrown in there, while there just is more strategy to Pickleball and more patience required for the right shot.

I am with you there.

I play 6x weekly and am obsessed with the game. I have reached a 4.0 level and hoping to get to a 4.5 level, but am fine if I don't get there.

Have you ever played in the Pro division, since your level would allow that competition at certain tournaments?

Yes i played my first pro tournament last month which was a small local one.

Happy to say i got 6th place, ended up getting destroyed by Steve Deakin and his partner at the end.

Was a great experience though and I love that I am always discovering ways I can improve.

Yes i played my first pro tournament last month which was a small local one.

Happy to say i got 6th place, ended up getting destroyed by Steve Deakin and his partner at the end.

Was a great experience though and I love that I am always discovering ways I can improve.

That's pretty cool. Met Steve at a PPA Tampa tournament. Nice guy.
I sat about 10 feet from the court and the real big difference in leveling to me appeared to be the tremendous hand speed that they have, which doesn't always translate in You tube.

Agree with all your points.

I find that tennis is more of an offensive game with some defense thrown in there, while there just is more strategy to Pickleball and more patience required for the right shot.

That’s a great way to explain it.

High level tennis is mostly offensive shots, and if you are unable to meet that offense with your own offense, you will be defeated.

High level pickleball is about preventing your opponent from being able to create their offense. That means perfect control of ball placement where they can’t attack. You don’t need to be strong or really athletic to do this.

I can hang with most pros in a pickleball game but Rafael Nadal would completely destroy me because my defense is no match for his offense.

Back
Top Bottom