Pickle Ball?

My wife decided she wants to start playing so I'll give her my old paddle for now and picked up a used Selkirk Invikta Amped for $89 on ebay. Be interested to see if I notice a huge difference.

Between playing pickleball 5 days a week and starting to play softball my right wrist has experienced some tendinitis. To get around this, I started to play left handed. It's tough, but after 3 days of playing I am improving. My serve is decent, but the ground strokes need more work. Anyone else go thru a bout of tendinitis from too much play or have experimented playing with their non-dominant hand?

Between playing pickleball 5 days a week and starting to play softball my right wrist has experienced some tendinitis. To get around this, I started to play left handed. It's tough, but after 3 days of playing I am improving. My serve is decent, but the ground strokes need more work. Anyone else go thru a bout of tendinitis from too much play or have experimented playing with their non-dominant hand?

We see a lot of people get pain in the elbow and shoulder here. In general my observation is it comes from having a substantial back swing or windmill swing where the player brings their paddle back beyond their shoulder and does a big wind up before hitting it. Over time this can cause repetitive injury. When we coach them how to make their swing more compact, using their core to build power rather than their arm and shoulder, the pain usually goes away.

The other cause of joint pain can come from using a cheap paddle that doesn’t absorb the vibration well. But I think I recall you saying you are using a high end Selkirk paddle, so that probably would not apply to you.

I was a really good paddleball player (I never played pickleball) and I wore running shoes. About 15 years ago I bought court shoes for my comeback attempt. I got plantar fasciitis. I'm not going to say running shoes are safer, but they do let you hold your leg out to the side while keeping your foot closer to its natural position in relation to your leg (no ankle bend). My running shoes also slid a little during quick changes in direction when my leg was out, which I found more comfortable. Not as responsive but less jarring and in a way I had more control.

Had some wrist tendinitis at first, but it disappeared over time. Yes as @Ready states, a shorter stroke is helpful.
Unless you are truly ambidextrous, it could be difficult to play at the same level with your non dominant hand. Some players switch to the non dominant hand instead of a backhand for some strokes, but it is typically not with the same efficiency and speed.
Yes, a higher end paddle tends to absorb the strokes better, which would typically help with elbow tendinitis.

I was a really good paddleball player (I never played pickleball) and I wore running shoes. About 15 years ago I bought court shoes for my comeback attempt. I got plantar fasciitis. I'm not going to say running shoes are safer, but they do let you hold your leg out to the side while keeping your foot closer to its natural position in relation to your leg (no ankle bend). My running shoes also slid a little during quick changes in direction when my leg was out, which I found more comfortable. Not as responsive but less jarring and in a way I had more control.

I’ve never played paddleball but I would imagine the court movements are similar to pickleball or tennis, meaning a lot of side to side movement. While running shoes are undoubtedly more comfortable than court shoes, they are one of the main causes of sprained ankles on the court. You need shoes that have a strong structure on the sides to protect your ankles when moving quickly in a sideways motion. Here is an excerpt from an orthopedist website on the subject:

Wear the Right Shoes
Many of the leg injuries such as ankle sprains or meniscal tears can be prevented with the right footwear. Ankle sprains can be caused by rolling the ankle. Knee ligament or meniscal tears often occur with stopping short or changing direction quickly. Wearing the right shoes that offer support but have some give in the sole can help prevent these injuries. Court shoes are probably the most important equipment you will purchase for your pickleball career. Running shoes are a recipe for disaster. So, protect your lower extremities by stepping on the court with the right shoes—every time.

https://www.brettgilbertmd.com/pickleball-injuries-5-tips-to-avoid-getting-hurt/

We see a lot of people get pain in the elbow and shoulder here. In general my observation is it comes from having a substantial back swing or windmill swing where the player brings their paddle back beyond their shoulder and does a big wind up before hitting it. Over time this can cause repetitive injury. When we coach them how to make their swing more compact, using their core to build power rather than their arm and shoulder, the pain usually goes away.

The other cause of joint pain can come from using a cheap paddle that doesn’t absorb the vibration well. But I think I recall you saying you are using a high end Selkirk paddle, so that probably would not apply to you.

I don't use a big backswing on any of my shots, but will use my wrist a bit. My paddle is a Gearbox GX6 which is 8.5 oz, so maybe a lighter paddle would help. I really do like my Gearbox though, so am reluctant to try something else.

Court shoes are probably the most important equipment you will purchase for your pickleball career. Running shoes are a recipe for disaster.

I know, that's what I've read. I wouldn't advise anyone to wear running shoes on the court because of all I've read but I'm still skeptical about it.

I don't use a big backswing on any of my shots, but will use my wrist a bit. My paddle is a Gearbox GX6 which is 8.5 oz, so maybe a lighter paddle would help. I really do like my Gearbox though, so am reluctant to try something else.

That’s a good paddle too. One thing you might try is having someone take a video of you while you are hitting some shots so you can see what the stroke movement looks like. We develop muscle memory with our shots to the point where it may not be obvious how we are swinging the paddle until we see ourselves doing it.

I took a Level Up Camp last year with Tyson McGuffin and he reviewed a video of me hitting some shots. He showed me how I do a slight wrist roll before I hit my dink shot. Over a period of time that can put a lot of stress on my wrist. It also makes me less competitive since I can’t handle the faster dinks if I’m rolling my wrist before striking the ball. I had no idea I was doing it until he showed me on the video. Then when I saw it I was really surprised to see what I was doing.

That’s a good paddle too. One thing you might try is having someone take a video of you while you are hitting some shots so you can see what the stroke movement looks like. We develop muscle memory with our shots to the point where it may not be obvious how we are swinging the paddle until we see ourselves doing it.

I took a Level Up Camp last year with Tyson McGuffin and he reviewed a video of me hitting some shots. He showed me how I do a slight wrist roll before I hit my dink shot. Over a period of time that can put a lot of stress on my wrist. It also makes me less competitive since I can’t handle the faster dinks if I’m rolling my wrist before striking the ball. I had no idea I was doing it until he showed me on the video. Then when I saw it I was really surprised to see what I was doing.
That's true, it's very hard to feel what one is doing regardless of the sport. Slo-mo video reveals everything.

I put on some Tourna Mega Tac overgrip tape on my GX6 this morning, but have not yet tried out the paddle. It sure gives a very secure grip since I stopped using my glove some time ago for better feel. I believe this wrap will prove to be a good add. Anyone else try any of these grip wraps?

Anyone else try any of these grip wraps?

35 years ago I used Tourna Grip and I see they still make it. I had no problem with it when I was playing paddleball and it surely absorbed moisture better than the leather grip but it started deteriorating and I tore it off at some point. The tape stayed secure after all these years. I unpeeled it just now.

Pictured is a solid wood Black Beauty paddle, popular in the 1970s but already old fashioned when I bought it used in the mid 80s. Try making a comeback with a Black Beauty and small black ball and watch how fast you get tennis elbow.

Attachments

• paddle-handle.jpg
    paddle-handle.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 37
I only use a glove and it melds with the paddle, so don't think about it anymore. Really helps with the summer heat.

Surprisingly, we discovered that tennis is easier, less athletically demanding, than Pickleball.

Another key factor is the availability of well organized games or access to courts.

The ideal is 5 or 6 people of close ability rotating through, with rest breaks, with courts that can be reserved.

You may also find that you have access to well organized pickle in one location, and tennis in another.

Surprisingly, we discovered that tennis is easier, less athletically demanding, than Pickleball.

Another key factor is the availability of well organized games or access to courts.

The ideal is 5 or 6 people of close ability rotating through, with rest breaks, with courts that can be reserved.

You may also find that you have access to well organized pickle in one location, and tennis in another.

Interesting point.
We find many tennis players who are surprised at the level of athleticism needed to play Pickleball at a higher level.
The hand speed reaction time needed is probably the biggest surprise to many players.

I've been playing with my Vanguard Omni for several weeks now and its made me a much better player. Not sure why, but I will say I was a better ping pong player as a youth vs tennis, and I think this paddle was designed more for folks that came from a ping pong background.

Interesting point.
We find many tennis players who are surprised at the level of athleticism needed to play Pickleball at a higher level.
The hand speed reaction time needed is probably the biggest surprise to many players.
I would like to learn how to play but perhaps in the early morning or at night to escape the brutal sun and heat of the day.

I would like to learn how to play but perhaps in the early morning or at night to escape the brutal sun and heat of the day.

Now that we are in the full summer swing, we start play at either 8am or 730am to avoid some of the heat. I don't really like playing at night, as the lighting is typically not super clear at times and even a second later in picking up a fast hit ball is too late.

I've been playing with my Vanguard Omni for several weeks now and its made me a much better player. Not sure why, but I will say I was a better ping pong player as a youth vs tennis, and I think this paddle was designed more for folks that came from a ping pong background.

Interesting as I use the Vanguard S2 which has a shorter handle and is a little closer to a ping pong paddle.

Now that we are in the full summer swing, we start play at either 8am or 730am to avoid some of the heat. I don't really like playing at night, as the lighting is typically not super clear at times and even a second later in picking up a fast hit ball is too late.
Thanks. Did not think about a fastball to the face at night. Perhaps safety glasses can be worn.

Last edited:
Interesting as I use the Vanguard S2 which has a shorter handle and is a little closer to a ping pong paddle.

Its given me significantly better control and I am still learning how to apply the power with this paddle. My paddle weighed in at 7.9oz.

Its given me significantly better control and I am still learning how to apply the power with this paddle. My paddle weighed in at 7.9oz.

My paddle is at 8.0 oz. I know some guys have heavier paddles, but to my thinking it would take away the advantages of quicker hands at the net, which becomes increasingly important as one plays better competition.

I have an 8.5 ounce Vanguard Invikta. I really don’t notice much difference from the extra weight over my 8 ounce paddle. I think it’s very subtle. Some people add lead tape on top of the paddle to get extra weight. I like a slightly heavier paddle because I play at the beach in heavy winds and sometimes I just need a little extra weight to hit the ball deep into the wind.

Serving into the wind does seem to effect lighter paddles, but it forces me to use more of my body which has also helped my serve under all wind conditions or lack thereof.

Serving into the wind does seem to effect lighter paddles, but it forces me to use more of my body which has also helped my serve under all wind conditions or lack thereof.

Serving techniques cause some discussion by us. I am of the opinion that a slower type accurate serve is more important, since the better players can handle 99% of the serves.
I serve the ball out about once a week while playing 6x weekly. There are many games when a blown serve really changes the momentum in a tight game.

Back
Top Bottom