Votes: 35 7.8%
  • To be a caregiver for loved one

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • Got caught with my Ponzi scheme - in jail

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 50 11.1%

• Total voters
Did any of you assume you’d do part time work someday and then, when it came down to it decided, “nah....”.

We both thought we'd get part time jobs but after the move to WV we found that the only available part time jobs involved delivering newspapers at 4:00 AM or mopping floors and the like. "Nah....".

Did any of you assume you’d do part time work someday and then, when it came down to it decided, “nah....”.

Yep. Gave serious consideration to working PT, not for the income, a need for structure or for a sense of purpose, for better medical insurance at a lower cost than we were paying.

I actually sat down in a room with a couple of other part-time job seekers and started filling out an application. After a few minutes I started feeling nauseous and broke out in a cold sweat. When I got up and tossed the application in the trash on the way out the door I immediately began to feel better. :)

Last edited:
We both thought we'd get part time jobs but after the move to WV we found that the only available part time jobs involved delivering newspapers at 4:00 AM or mopping floors and the like. "Nah....".

What part of WV did you move to, and how do you like it ? We have been looking at Kentucky, but open to looking elsewhere.

Even though I'm a few months away, I cheated and picked "Planned : leisure - travel - etc". But it's a whole lot more than that. I want to dive and see the world. I'm innately lazy, despite dragging myself to work every day for 28 years. I have enough. I've had enough. I'll never be as young as I am now. I want to dive the world. I want time to think, rest, relax, enjoy this planet. I'm not doing what I want to be doing. My time is not my own. "Life is short. Dead is forever". Carpe diem!

I read all 98 responses so far and have a couple questions: Only a few people mentioned that they dialed down full blown careers to part time work, hobby jobs or passion businesses, etc. It sounds like most above worked full tilt for decades, then stopped all paid work cold. Personally, I assume there is a world of part time work awaiting when I quit the career, but maybe that’s just a coping fantasy on my part. Did any of you assume you’d do part time work someday and then, when it came down to it decided, “nah....”. Or does part time work + portfolio allow a semiretirement in which you still need to work some but you can avoid most of the grind? Thanks for sharing.

I retired from megacorp and do a little bit of consulting just for fun. It involves running my own "company" (really just me as sole proprietor) and I get paid a pretty high hourly rate. It is in my life-long industry where I know a lot of people. So not similar to folks who searched and found nothing of interest with low pay at that. But this is not part of my FI plan, that is already covered even if I don't consult.

Too much stress and kidney disease. Couldn’t be happier!

Not me. By the time I retired, I was ready to hang it up.

I had already worked two years beyond when I would have otherwise retired, in order to become eligible for federal retiree health insurance and other retirement benefits. I was done, done, done! :) .

I checked a few different answers.

I had planned to retire early for many years in order to relax and travel.

But I was so sick of my work and my career that as soon as I had enough money to go I prepared my 18-month "exit" plan.

But then, with a few months left in the plan, I got "packaged out", which was fine with me to get an extra 6 months of early retirement.

And, also, I hated my commute.

I retired from megacorp and do a little bit of consulting just for fun. It involves running my own "company" (really just me as sole proprietor) and I get paid a pretty high hourly rate. It is in my life-long industry where I know a lot of people. So not similar to folks who searched and found nothing of interest with low pay at that. But this is not part of my FI plan, that is already covered even if I don't consult.

Nice to be able to do that. What industry did you work in?

What part of WV did you move to, and how do you like it ? We have been looking at Kentucky, but open to looking elsewhere.

We moved to the Eastern Panhandle (Morgan, Berkeley, and Jefferson counties) and like it a lot. While there is some traffic at "rush hour" it is a lot less than anything near D.C. We don't have to plan our daily lives around traffic and that was a huge draw. And DW's main criteria for the move was that it be within an hour of where her father and brother were living. The move was even closer than where we were, and the route was not affected at all by the time of day, all back roads, so she was happy with that.

While real estate and taxes are significantly less than closer to D.C., everything else (groceries, gasoline, etc.) is a little cheaper but not near enough to justify a move. A lot of people commute to jobs in the D.C. area so the area is still heavily influenced by what goes on there.

For us it was mostly a matter of escaping the incessant crowding and heavy traffic and for DW being close to relatives, and in that the move was a success.

I'm not retired yet, but here are my reasons for WANTING to retire...

1) More leisure/travel free time
2) The commute. It didn't used to bother me, but I recently moved, to what I hope will be my "forever/for a long time at least" home.

3) Health, in a way...I want to retire somewhat young, so that I'm healthy enough to enjoy it!
4) Had enough of the workgroup/task/etc. This factor is actually pretty small. But, the older I get, and realize I only have so many good years left, I really start to think, do I want to spend them at the office?

Three reasons chosen.

1) Commute. My 6 mile commute was regularly taking 45 minutes or longer due to multi-year construction between work and home.

2) Had enough... final straw was being told I would have to spend every 3rd week babysitting a client on the other side of the country... not to be productive, but for appearances so we looked 'attentive' to the customer. If there were legitimate reasons to be away from husband and kids for a week at a time, every third week, I'd have sucked it up... but this would have LOWERED my productivity. I gave notice the Monday after they informed me of this plan

3) Plans to do fun stuff. DH had just retired and I wanted to spend time like he was... be able to travel, do fun stuff during the day, etc. It's no coincidence that the summer after I retired we spent 9 weeks in Europe.

No regrets almost 5 years in.

30 years and out

I worked production on the factory floor of GM for 30 years. I had the golden handcuffs of great benefits and a pension plan. Early on I watched co-workers burn out emotionally and physically from the mind numbing production work. I started early on in my "GM Career" saving, investing, and planning to retire as soon as I could. That event was in September of 2005 when I was 53 years old. That factory job was a means to an end. That production job was never my life. I got that "life satisfaction" outside of my factory job which has developed into a worldwide circle of friends/extended family. In the past few years I can tell I've slowed down a lot. So glad I had those early years of retirement to enjoy life still in peak shape. No extra amount of money from working longer could ever compensate me for the life experiences I have enjoyed by retiring early.

definitely got tired of the commute. I worked about 50 miles from my home and it was an hour commute each way.

Also got tired of the job, megacompany more interested in stock holders than real science

Wife and I were both medical officers in a 'gated community' that was very stressful to work in. Retired the first day we could collect our pensions. No regrets.

Simple.. I worked my ass off for many years. Probably enough for two lifetimes. I have enough income and investments to last, so for me it was a no-brainer. I retired in my 50's. Time to spend more time with my family and enjoy the things in life that work gets in the way of.

When I was 26 I knew I would be good at retirement -- and I was right!

House in Houston Flooded

I loved my job, and wasn't planning to retire! But our house where we had lived for 26 years was totaled by a freak flood (not Harvey). It was the second time it had flooded, and we just knew it would happen again in the future. So we opted not to fix up our house, and sold it to a flipper. While living in an apartment temporarily we wondered - where-oh-where could we live in Houston without the risk of flooding again, and without having to endure the miserable traffic getting to and from work?

A few years prior we had the foresight to buy our retirement house in Central Texas, so we both retired, moved there and never looked back.

Sure enough, the following year Hurricane Harvey came along, filling our old house up with five feet of water.

I love being retired!

A sociopath new manager took over and after 7 months of BS I had enough. I was fading and burnt out as it was and this was just the nail in the coffin. Lots of others quit as well or were fired. All women over the age of 50 replaced with young women in their 20's and 30's.

I had 3 more years to go to age 65 for Medicare.

Decent financial planning made it possible. I really found reward and enjoyed what I did but after 32 years with a good company- it turned sour in the last years. Process and procedure came before good customer service so it made it much harder to "do the right thing." Worst of all were the employees and colleagues. Poor morals, schemes and games, entitlement, backstabbers, not dependable. I'm free of all that now-I won by my choice! I think of what those I left behind are dealing with every day- and just chuckle a bit!

When I was 26 I knew I would be good at retirement -- and I was right!

I was a bit stupid at 26 though because this new thing the 401K had just been offered at our company. Me and a couple of young engineers at the time (thought we knew everything) poo-poohed the idea. Who would put money away that you can't touch until your 59 1/2?

We all had newborn babies and new homes with interest rates in the mid-teens mine was 14 1/2% so we needed cash flow at that time. Guess they didn't teach us about compound interest in engineering school. :cool:

Anyway my boss at the time handed out our raises with a stipulation. He said you gotta take this raise and at least invest in 401K for the company match so over time I started with 2% and gradually raised it. Left a lot of money on the table 36 years later but it all worked out as market booms and aggressive catch-up contributions later really helped out the cause.

Back
Top Bottom