• Other

Votes: 50 11.1%

• Total voters

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Why did YOU retire ?

You can pick multi reasons

Last edited:
Sick of the 8-5 regime despite being a professional.

Because I could! :D I checked "Planned" and "other".

Mostly I wanted to have fewer demands on my time, so that I can spend my remaining years doing whatever I want. I already spent most of my life meeting obligations and taking care of responsibilities. As I got older, it seemed to be more and more difficult to work hard all day and still have energy left for anything else. At some point I reached the point at which enough was enough.

I had always planned to retire at age 55 and made financial decisions accordingly. Although I was financially able, as age 55 approached, I began to hedge... thinking I might work a few years beyond age 55.

Ironically, a few weeks before my 55th birthday, I began having major problems with my disabled son's day care. He had attended that same day care facility throughout my corporate career with no problems [it was a God-send.] But ironically, a few weeks before I had originally planned to retire, I could not in good conscience keep sending him to that day care... so I retired at my 55th birthday as I had originally planned.

In a way, we both retired. My son and I enjoyed being retired together, doing whatever we wanted to do, road trips, vacations, or just sleeping late and vegging out. Six years later, my son suddenly and unexpectedly died at home during a seizure. If I had still been working, he would have died at day care.

God works in mysterious ways.

Last edited:
Friends said they were going to retire, it shocked me and they explained they had enough $$.

Made me look at our situation and realize we were fine to retire as well :D We had been working largely out of habit.

Voted RIF, even though it was voluntary. Tried to get work, even at a much reduced income, but to no avail.
Retired 18 months and never been happier.

My VP wanted to be a super technical wizard. Unfortunately he didn't have a clue about technology and listening wasn't part of his skills. Shouting was.

After a 14 hour conference call I became done.

The commute. Plain and simple.

I planned for years, to get out for travel/leisure, and finagled my way into a RIF with severance, to make the exit a huge win.

The people. If I had been stationed at any other Air Force Base or any other unit I might have stayed awhile longer. Nicer job. Nicer people. Why leave?

But given the personalities I had to deal with I decided one day: Hey I don't need this. I have enough money.

I briefly held two other jobs after that. (One month and five months) The People killed it for me. Good riddance

Lot's of reasons, but I was FI and I had enough of the corporate BS were probably my top two.

FI with plans to do my own stuff, under my control, was 90% of the reason. The other 10% was not so much fed up with Megacorp BS as realizing I did not really care about it anymore. That was affecting my desire to continue to work at the pace Megacorp wanted, which wold lead to potential detrimental impact on others.

Sick of the 8-5 regime despite being a professional.

I'll trade you. I work 1p-11p M-Th unless there is overtime then I work either 3p-3a or 5p-5a M-Th. No lunch break, just 2 10 minute breaks for a 10 hour shift or 3 10 minute breaks for a 12 hour shift.

I'll trade you. I work 1p-11p M-Th unless there is overtime then I work either 3p-3a or 5p-5a M-Th. No lunch break, just 2 10 minute breaks for a 10 hour shift or 3 10 minute breaks for a 12 hour shift.
3 days off a week is a pretty good deal to me.

Always planned to RE, but I used to think age 59.5, then 57.

Then had enough of megacorp and was FI at 55, so retired 4 days after my 55th B-day (ensuring easier access to my 401(k) if needed).

Isn't it a law that you get half hour unpaid lunch for eight hours?

Either way, I don't think you could pay me enough to work at a place like that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom