Recommendation for Electric Smoker

So maybe try with beef or pork and see how it goes. I have had great success on a rotisserie. We discovered a bbq carryout nearby, small place - like a shed with three grills running all day, a fabulous smoked turkey. My goal is to cook like they do. Key word being "like" - they use charcoal and hardwood.

I had a Masterbuilt electric, it was good but had to add wood chips every hour so and it broke after 1 year.

I purchased a Traeger from Costco and love it so far, my grill just sits collecting dust now as I do everything on the Pellet Grill much easier, other than clean up of ashes.

I am a member of Pellet grill on facebook and they have many recommendations depending on budget.

RecTec is popular as well.

Any advice for brisket? I find them the most touchy one to smoke. Last one was fantastic. Previous 2 were, meh. Last time was a whole brisket, in the cryovac bag, and injected with beef broth. I think that makes a difference, but open to ideas.
My simple brisket advice is to change your injection from broth to Butcher’s BBQ. That made a big difference for me. The rest of your process sounds good.
I’m not a spritzer.
For ribs, the two biggest improvements I made were both learned on Amazingribs.com I salt the night before and then use a saltless rub the day of. Also using Blues Hog BBQ sauce as a glaze made a big difference.

Have several BBQ cookers in my collection. Not a single one is gas.
The Rectec is a good pellet grill. A MAK or Yoder is even better but pricier. Stay away from Traeger, am in the process of returning my broken Traeger to Costco for a refund.
The cheapest and most practical way to start is with a Weber kettle. For chicken get a vortex insert.
I use a Kamado Joe a lot. It’s very similar to a Big Green Egg.
I also have a PK360 which I use for grilling steaks primarily. I can do this in the Kamado, but it’s quicker and easier on the PK.
I took up BBQ as my hobby in earnest when I FIREd. Just did a brisket this past weekend. Am waiting on my new toy to arrive, a Hunsaker drum, which has gained a lot of popularity recently.
Learned a lot from Amazingribs.com and bbq-brethren.com

I’ve got a CampChef pellet grill. They work just like the Traeger. I’ve had it for about a year and a half, and use it all the time. I don’t grill on it, only smoke. For super hot searing, I use my TruInfrared propane grill. The Traegers and CampChefs have their limits in terms of high temp work, but you can’t beat the pellet grill for smoking.

We just bought a Green Mountain Smoker. Cheaper than a Traeger but supposedly mDe as well if not better. So far, so good.

Well I did a 3.5 hr 225F slow cook on a weber gas grill of chicken thighs. They came out good, but truthfully not much difference than my faster higher temp grilling efforts. Used apple chips in aluminum foil. But really not much of a smoke flavor. 0 for 1. Long term think will have to go to a dedicated smoker route.

Not surprising. Chicken is probably the least receptive kind of meat to the low and slow method, so it's generally cooked at a much higher temperature. I think the best possible way to cook chicken is on a rotisserie. Another difference is that with chicken a little smoke goes a very long way. Too much can ruin it.

I have terrific luck with low and slow whole smoked chickens on my Traeger. It’s a go to regular favorite.
- the chickens are brined
- the Traeger generates way more smoke than a foil packet of chips.
- 2 to 2.5 hrs at 225-250 to get a good smoke exposure, then up to 325-375 thereabouts to finish them off.

They are really out of this world and the best smoked chicken ever. Super juicy and no basting because of the brining.

The initial low and slow means that the skin is well rendered and thin, so it’s not going to be crispy, but the juicy smokey meat is so delicious it doesn’t matter.

On the simple Weber I recommend using a couple of chunks in the coals instead of chips in foil. I tried cherry chunks on a recent much faster cook of unbrined chicken pieces and got a lot of smoke and a nice flavor. Not nearly as intense as the Traeger, but definitely enhanced over charcoal alone.

Last edited:
I use a Charbroil electric smoker with great success, but don't use the included smoker box. I use a Carpathen tube smoker instead. Much more smoke. And I make my own rub from a recipe given to me years ago by a Texas champion brisket smoker. I marinate the meat usually in unsweetened cherry juice infused with garlic the day before. Won't spritz during the smoke, just put it in and forget about it.
I also use the Texas crutch and wrap in butcher paper at around 170º. I usually have several vacuum sealed packs of brisket and pulled pork in the freezer for quick meals.

I have used one of these, or one like it, for over 30 years! I have won several local brisket cook-off using the following:
shopping

I was at a Texas BBQ contest in 1987. Some of the best brisket I have ever tasted. My brother was a judge and good friends with a lot of the cooks. I got the following advice:

Make a rub of one part season salt, one part paprika, and one chili powder. Use one pecan, one mesquite, two oak logs for smoke. Smoke the brisket for four hours at 200 to 250 deg. Remove, wrap in foil covered with one bottle of Italian dressing and one bottle of water. (small cheap dressing) Wrap and return to heat at 200-250 for 4 hours. It can be outside or inside in the oven. At this point the meat has all the smoke flavor it's going to get because you wrapped it in foil. During the smoking portion I add wood about every hour. This has never failed me. Tender, moist, and easy.

I have used one of these, or one like it, for over 30 years! I have won several local brisket cook-off

Impressive!
I'm a barbeque judge and I judge at anywhere up to a dozen contests every year. Most judges will tell you that brisket is the hardest thing to get perfect, and when I happen on one that is just totally awesome it pretty much makes my day.

Certainly Texas is the place for great brisket. Nobody is quite sure why.

I have both a BGE and an offset firebox smoker. For serious bbq, I still like to use the offset firebox smoker (usually with pecan wood), although the BGE can do it all as well. Probably even easier on the BGE, but I guess I feel like it’s cheating.

Love pork butt, spareribs, and brisket. But my absolute favorite, decadent, delicious cut of meat to smoke are beef short ribs. They are so rich and sumptuous, you can’t actually handle eating them too often. But my oh my.

I have used one of these, or one like it, for over 30 years! I have won several local brisket cook-off using the following:
shopping

This is very similar to mine. After watching a Video on how to make a home made smoker using a terra cotta planter, an electric grill charcoal starter and about $150 worth of parts, I walked past the smoker dept. in Home Depot. It was late September and they were all on clearance. I picked one up for about $40, and have used it once a month for about 8 years now. We cook on our grill 2-3 times a week year round, and it's not uncommon to see me BBQing in a snow storm in February.

I just got a Masterbuilt 40" Bluetooth Electric Smoker a few months ago and am loving it, but I probably recommend a different model. The Bluetooth is nice for checking on the temp, but every time I switch off the app, it disconnects, so trying to set an alarm for a certain temp doesn't work. I also have to add wood chips every 30 minutes to get good smoke going. Still haven't seen anything that looks like a smoke ring yet.
Then again, it looks like the price now (250) is way lower than what we paid (over 400). The clear door is pretty useless, it gets smoked up pretty easily.

Meekie, I ask what the paprika was far, and the answer, "you get a better smoke ring!" Nothing like a little red dye!

Here’s a pic of some just off the smoker beef ribs.
View attachment 35438

Those look amazing. Wife and I went to a work Christmas party at a restaurant several years ago, and they served those. HOLY COW. MEAT HEAVEN!

I've tried making them a few times, and have never gotten the hang of it, even though I can cook just about anything pretty well.

If you're comfortable sharing your technique and recipe, you'd be doing a fellow Q enthusiast a massive favor..

TIA..

A great electric smoker is anything by Cookshack. I have their "Smokette Elite" (SM025) and it's a beast. Built like a tank, and would probably survive a nuclear holocaust. But more importantly, is a "set and forget" electric smoker. Put 2-4 oz of a good, hefty wood chunk or two in to the smoke box..set your temp. Load up the food, and insert the (included) probe so that you constantly monitor food temp.

Could not be easier. I also own a Big Green Egg (albeit, a Mini, which wouldn't suffice for smoking) and a Kamado Joe (large) which many people would use for smoking. But the ease of use of the SM025 over the KJ is LIGHT YEARS better. (For example, I don't need to load a ton of lump into the KJ, setup separate temp controllers and fans, and most likely reload the lump at some point during a long cook). Plus, I don't have to worry about potentially setting my deck on fire when I kick on the Cookshack, as the smoke box is totally contained and there's NO WAY even the smallest spark is ever getting out of the cook box. KJ with all that natural lump, flame and sparks? No way I'd leave that thing unattended on my wood deck, especially overnight.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with anything by Cookshack. They make commercial, competition-level and "enthusiast" gear. It's not cheap, but it will last you a lifetime. Hell, my SM025 will almost certainly outlive me. Nuclear war or not..(you'll know what I'm talking about if you ever see one..they just don't build things like Cookshacks any longer..)

PS: I just re-read the SM025 page and it mentions using "year round". Oh, yeah. I live in MI and have smoked Pork Butt, Ribs and Brisket on days with 16'' of snow on my deck, and the thermometer reading sub zero. The SM025 has more insulation than my house. And it's built out of (many layers) of solid metal. The thing is a BEAST and totally indestructible. You could probably run it just fine in the middle of the worst winter day in central Siberia, and it'd do JUST. FINE. and turn out some great Q.

As far as ELECTRIC smokers, you can't beat a Cookshack IMHO. That said, there's a whole passionate, religious discussion around Electric vs. Lump vs Stick Burners vs. Pellet Burners, etc..good luck!

ETA - the SM025 has a separately sold cart that it stacks on top of. Highly recommended, as the base unit would be low to the ground without this..they are also made entirely in the USA. I think they're welded (yeah, welded) together in Oklahoma, or somewhere similar where big, burly men rip large trees from the ground with their bare hands before wrestling down a buffalo or two for dinner.

Last edited:
Those look amazing. Wife and I went to a work Christmas party at a restaurant several years ago, and they served those. HOLY COW. MEAT HEAVEN!

I've tried making them a few times, and have never gotten the hang of it, even though I can cook just about anything pretty well.

If you're comfortable sharing your technique and recipe, you'd be doing a fellow Q enthusiast a massive favor..

TIA..

Honestly, they’re a fairly straightforward cook. I do get the beef ribs from a butcher shop to ensure high quality meat. Rub them with lots of black pepper and coarse salt. Also, throw some garlic powder in the rub. Cause I always like a little garlic. Then, throw them on and let the smoke do it’s thing. I’ll spritz with either water or apple juice every 45 minutes or so. Keep my smoker between 230-270. Takes several hours. Cook till the internal temperature reaches 203. I use pecan wood. Its got a nice mild flavor. But hickory or oak would do.

Let rest and then serve with your favorite bbq sauce on the side. They taste like the most savory roast meat ever. Your eyes will roll into the back of your head. Good luck next time. It’s been a while. I’ll try them soon no doubt. Enough talking..time to eat!

Honestly, they’re a fairly straightforward cook. I do get the beef ribs from a butcher shop to ensure high quality meat. Rub them with lots of black pepper and coarse salt. Also, throw some garlic powder in the rub. Cause I always like a little garlic. Then, throw them on and let the smoke do it’s thing. I’ll spritz with either water or apple juice every 45 minutes or so. Keep my smoker between 230-270. Takes several hours. Cook till the internal temperature reaches 203. I use pecan wood. Its got a nice mild flavor. But hickory or oak would do.

Let rest and then serve with your favorite bbq sauce on the side. They taste like the most savory roast meat ever. Your eyes will roll into the back of your head. Good luck next time. It’s been a while. I’ll try them soon no doubt. Enough talking..time to eat!

Thanks..I totally agree with the "your eyes will roll into the back of your head" description, as this is EXACTLY what I experienced when I had these prepared "properly". It was (hate to put it this way, but no equal way to describe) like the 'best sex you ever had' meat. BEYOND amazing. I will never forget that dinner. WHOAH!

Will give your technique a try next time I can get out of my COVID self-induced prison long enough to buy some..

ETA - I know there are multiple cuts of these things to request..what do you ask your butcher for?

Last edited:

Yeah, pretty much same here on my Traeger. I do the Costco chuck short ribs that come 4 ribs together as a chunk. Salt and pepper rub. 250-275 thereabouts. Spritz hourly with cider vinegar after the first couple of hours. I also favor pecan. It usually takes at least 6 hours. Same target temp but probe to make sure that the meat gives easily between the ribs. Develops a gorgeous very dark bark - almost black. Absolutely delicious!

Thanks..I totally agree with the "your eyes will roll into the back of your head" description, as this is EXACTLY what I experienced when I had these prepared "properly". It was (hate to put it this way, but no equal way to describe) like the 'best sex you ever had' meat. BEYOND amazing. I will never forget that dinner. WHOAH!

Will give your technique a try next time I can get out of my COVID self-induced prison long enough to buy some..

ETA - I know there are multiple cuts of these things to request..what do you ask your butcher for?

I ask for beef short ribs ‘from the plate’. Not the chuck roast.

I have a Mastercraft but seldom use it because I'll have to then clean it. It's one heavy piece to move outside my screen porch to clean up.

After it croaks, I may install a Bradley Bisquette smoker in the Mastercraft that cooks using small pucks. They're very good.

My favorite smoker is the UDS--with plans off the internet available. They are made out of a 55 gallon metal food grade drum. Doesn't get any better than cooking over coals.

A great electric smoker is anything by Cookshack. I have their "Smokette Elite" (SM025) and it's a beast. Built like a tank, and would probably survive a nuclear holocaust. But more importantly, is a "set and forget" electric smoker. Put 2-4 oz of a good, hefty wood chunk or two in to the smoke box..set your temp. Load up the food, and insert the (included) probe so that you constantly monitor food temp.

Could not agree more about Cookshack smokers. I bought my SM009-2 in 2012 and I cleaned it up this week up (to sell) after much usage.
I’m selling it since both kids moved out and DW doesn’t like smoked meats [emoji30]

IMG_0817.JPG

Could not be easier. I also own a Big Green Egg (albeit, a Mini, which wouldn't suffice for smoking) and a Kamado Joe (large) which many people would use for smoking. But the ease of use of the SM025 over the KJ is LIGHT YEARS better. (For example, I don't need to load a ton of lump into the KJ, setup separate temp controllers and fans, and most likely reload the lump at some point during a long cook). Plus, I don't have to worry about potentially setting my deck on fire when I kick on the Cookshack, as the smoke box is totally contained and there's NO WAY even the smallest spark is ever getting out of the cook box. KJ with all that natural lump, flame and sparks? No way I'd leave that thing unattended on my wood deck, especially overnight.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with anything by Cookshack. They make commercial, competition-level and "enthusiast" gear. It's not cheap, but it will last you a lifetime. Hell, my SM025 will almost certainly outlive me. Nuclear war or not..(you'll know what I'm talking about if you ever see one..they just don't build things like Cookshacks any longer..)

PS: I just re-read the SM025 page and it mentions using "year round". Oh, yeah. I live in MI and have smoked Pork Butt, Ribs and Brisket on days with 16'' of snow on my deck, and the thermometer reading sub zero. The SM025 has more insulation than my house. And it's built out of (many layers) of solid metal. The thing is a BEAST and totally indestructible. You could probably run it just fine in the middle of the worst winter day in central Siberia, and it'd do JUST. FINE. and turn out some great Q.

As far as ELECTRIC smokers, you can't beat a Cookshack IMHO. That said, there's a whole passionate, religious discussion around Electric vs. Lump vs Stick Burners vs. Pellet Burners, etc..good luck!

ETA - the SM025 has a separately sold cart that it stacks on top of. Highly recommended, as the base unit would be low to the ground without this..they are also made entirely in the USA. I think they're welded (yeah, welded) together in Oklahoma, or somewhere similar where big, burly men rip large trees from the ground with their bare hands before wrestling down a buffalo or two for dinner.

I also swear by Cookshack. We have had our smoker for 15+ years. It is still going strong. Stay up late, put the brisket in and just let it smoke. Chicken and ribs are done in 3.5 hours. Nothing easier. And some great recipes on their website.

Back
Top Bottom