Recommendation for Electric Smoker

Could not agree more about Cookshack smokers. I bought my SM009-2 in 2012 and I cleaned it up this week up (to sell) after much usage.
I’m selling it since both kids moved out and DW doesn’t like smoked meats [emoji30]

View attachment 35453

Nice! That's a classic. If I remember right, the SM009 was the first "home use" smoker Cookshack made.

Love the weld marks in the upper right corner. Far as I know, these things are all built by hand. That's part of what makes them so insanely rugged.

A lot of my buddies are amazed I can run it mid winter, cuz a lot of them have the thin, non-insulated Chinese made stuff from Home Depot..I did see a SM025 torn apart once and the insulation in this thing is unbelievable. They literally jam multiple layers of thick, industrial insulation all around the inside of the smoker box..then close it up with thick, hefty metal. When I set my SM025 to 225..it STAYS at 225 - even in the middle of a snowstorm. Great stuff.

Honestly, they’re a fairly straightforward cook. I do get the beef ribs from a butcher shop to ensure high quality meat. Rub them with lots of black pepper and coarse salt. Also, throw some garlic powder in the rub. Cause I always like a little garlic. Then, throw them on and let the smoke do it’s thing. I’ll spritz with either water or apple juice every 45 minutes or so. Keep my smoker between 230-270. Takes several hours. Cook till the internal temperature reaches 203. I use pecan wood. Its got a nice mild flavor. But hickory or oak would do.

Let rest and then serve with your favorite bbq sauce on the side. They taste like the most savory roast meat ever. Your eyes will roll into the back of your head. Good luck next time. It’s been a while. I’ll try them soon no doubt. Enough talking..time to eat!

+1. These (~8 pounds) took about 13 hours at 220 degrees. Wrapped 'em at 170 and they still stalled for about 2.5 hours. They were a tad spendy at $72 or $26 per bone, but worth every penny. :smitten:

9eK_DMfUtw03CW6OqBgdAyGN5P2RL_COQOpwx1QdGdakFYZXlygqWp7R6ZKnrhJcTvVERJ1DPa_K_gIs6vt1ZgMppLobO73gPBYkUQIglJVyW9VSWIPWF2m1NUDY5FoND6nrt9CHwsOQvHxXN6e1qzh3vXmb9utWEowiSj0SHxTrXNpFN2QkQZgtaxw8J3QKCxWtnLwlaOQElzhRhI_jW-nyt15qF-xA7xrJBJ0zkEyThh2_0OAJ4cyqKhnq6DZyGHYAZ8lXNBaVOwgFaJztu3FXucGfSQIWTifN5BtA5npx9woDwI2LBwsA_XYuweG8agI6mHg_epwtV6dQrGY4gCRJciGnNiDEm4r9O0bRHD6rvDnPiHVB1-SS_Rcp_w47EGdqM5sAKg24gRIuO_BUiSX76PcOL7qnjxBGTRMxKQA_XGjX2DC9Os5yaeoB7GyjLfyI8qLYZhRwnHzYNn3MHWzxsO_npl2rNzb_GIy7wa-40NqjobrxJG_V8nGh1lW8P9MYf_mkaQxGueR8Y52mguOX5fz8U51MKqwvWOnT1oeHFY9QzclPlJ4L7kpILiOlkaGnbc4D4NDqBe8f_Li5u7GQcbU4OkZbjnT750otwDrOFS00TnL4Zi2uBaICN7aXsic5jULsBIl_BXro4P2ort5cYZURt_LB-bSFCVN0kf126C4QAx5OZbK76ClfNS8=w1164-h655-no

On Thursday, my beloved plum tree fell over onto my rental house. I spent all day yesterday cutting, sawing, chipping and stacking. No harm to the house, but I have TONS of fresh plum wood available for BBQ's and smokers. It is as good, if not better than apple.

Nice! That's a classic. If I remember right, the SM009 was the first "home use" smoker Cookshack made.

Love the weld marks in the upper right corner. Far as I know, these things are all built by hand. That's part of what makes them so insanely rugged.

A lot of my buddies are amazed I can run it mid winter, cuz a lot of them have the thin, non-insulated Chinese made stuff from Home Depot..I did see a SM025 torn apart once and the insulation in this thing is unbelievable. They literally jam multiple layers of thick, industrial insulation all around the inside of the smoker box..then close it up with thick, hefty metal. When I set my SM025 to 225..it STAYS at 225 - even in the middle of a snowstorm. Great stuff.

And they still make them. I checked the Cookshack website...$700 for the exact model...SM009-2. It’s a quality product and produces quality smoked food [emoji3]. *sigh*

+1. These (~8 pounds) took about 13 hours at 220 degrees. Wrapped 'em at 170 and they still stalled for about 2.5 hours. They were a tad spendy at $72 or $26 per bone, but worth every penny. :smitten:

9eK_DMfUtw03CW6OqBgdAyGN5P2RL_COQOpwx1QdGdakFYZXlygqWp7R6ZKnrhJcTvVERJ1DPa_K_gIs6vt1ZgMppLobO73gPBYkUQIglJVyW9VSWIPWF2m1NUDY5FoND6nrt9CHwsOQvHxXN6e1qzh3vXmb9utWEowiSj0SHxTrXNpFN2QkQZgtaxw8J3QKCxWtnLwlaOQElzhRhI_jW-nyt15qF-xA7xrJBJ0zkEyThh2_0OAJ4cyqKhnq6DZyGHYAZ8lXNBaVOwgFaJztu3FXucGfSQIWTifN5BtA5npx9woDwI2LBwsA_XYuweG8agI6mHg_epwtV6dQrGY4gCRJciGnNiDEm4r9O0bRHD6rvDnPiHVB1-SS_Rcp_w47EGdqM5sAKg24gRIuO_BUiSX76PcOL7qnjxBGTRMxKQA_XGjX2DC9Os5yaeoB7GyjLfyI8qLYZhRwnHzYNn3MHWzxsO_npl2rNzb_GIy7wa-40NqjobrxJG_V8nGh1lW8P9MYf_mkaQxGueR8Y52mguOX5fz8U51MKqwvWOnT1oeHFY9QzclPlJ4L7kpILiOlkaGnbc4D4NDqBe8f_Li5u7GQcbU4OkZbjnT750otwDrOFS00TnL4Zi2uBaICN7aXsic5jULsBIl_BXro4P2ort5cYZURt_LB-bSFCVN0kf126C4QAx5OZbK76ClfNS8=w1164-h655-no

That’s it. I can’t take it. I’m buying some and planning a beef rib cook for July 4th weekend. Family is coming over. Should be fun.

That’s it. I can’t take it. I’m buying some and planning a beef rib cook for July 4th weekend. Family is coming over. Should be fun.

Thanks for the thought. I hadn't decided what to make in the Egg for Independence Day, and I think I'll join you in that endeavour. There's not much better than beef ribs.

I've got a Bighorn pellet grill/smoker (a poorman's Traeger) I use Traeger pellets and use it as a grill & smoker.

I love it. I've been catching a lot of big lake trout and it does an excellent job on them.

Tonight it's grilled chicken with Traeger Big Game rub. Very versatile rig.

A great electric smoker is anything by Cookshack. I have their "Smokette Elite" (SM025) and it's a beast.

Ditto. It takes very little wood to get the smoke flavor because it's sealed. Also, meat stays moist, again because it's sealed with just a little hole to let air in and another to vent out. Maybe the size of my thumb.

This thing makes me look like a hero when, in fact, there's literally nothing to do; season meat, toss into smoker, turn on and let it set for the allotted time. No peeking! Pork butts come out so tender, they shake like a jello mold. No more dried out brisket. Ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender. Turkey is the best!

Find their forum website and read up on how to use, meet others with this same SM025 smoker and their uses.

I also use mine to smoke almonds, cold smoke cheese, flavor veggies by setting in the smoker, off, for a couple hours just to absorb it's aroma. I cure my own hams and bacon as well, then hand out as gifts at Christmas time. Prime rib has to be the best though.

Oh please give us your smoked (or grilled) trout recipe!!!

Take a piece of brown paper like the kind grocery bags are made of and cut it to fit the trout fillet. Wet it until it is soaked and place the trout fillet on it skin side down. I don't brine the fish at all, just take out a freshly cleaned fillet.

Put a light coating of olive oil on the meat side of the fillet then apply a light sprinkle of lemon pepper and an even lighter sprinkle of garlic powder. I'm sure your favorite sea food seasoning would be good, I like to keep it simple.

Have your smoker preheated to 250 and put it on there (with the paper under the skin) and close the lid. Grab a beverage and pretend your busy while attending it. Keep the lid closed.

How long it takes really depends on the size of your trout fillet. An average fillet from a 5 lb trout takes about an hour, maybe longer. I don't use a thermometer, just take it off the grill when the meat starts to flake and its warm to the touch. Keep it on the wet newspaper and the meat comes off nicely.

Eat it while its hot. Leftovers are good appetizers cold.

I got this method from an old charter boat captain in Duluth. Works on any kind of trout. I'm going to try it on a bass & pike sometime. (walleyes get fried in a cast iron skillet...that's another thread)

Thanks much!

Good tip about the wet paper. I have a big roll of uncoated butcher paper.

Take a piece of brown paper like the kind grocery bags are made of and cut it to fit the trout fillet. Wet it until it is soaked and place the trout fillet on it skin side down. I don't brine the fish at all, just take out a freshly cleaned fillet.

Put a light coating of olive oil on the meat side of the fillet then apply a light sprinkle of lemon pepper and an even lighter sprinkle of garlic powder. I'm sure your favorite sea food seasoning would be good, I like to keep it simple.

Have your smoker preheated to 250 and put it on there (with the paper under the skin) and close the lid. Grab a beverage and pretend your busy while attending it. Keep the lid closed.

How long it takes really depends on the size of your trout fillet. An average fillet from a 5 lb trout takes about an hour, maybe longer. I don't use a thermometer, just take it off the grill when the meat starts to flake and its warm to the touch. Keep it on the wet newspaper and the meat comes off nicely.

I got this method from an old charter boat captain in Duluth. Works on any kind of trout. I'm going to try it on a bass & pike sometime. (walleyes get fried in a cast iron skillet...that's another thread)

+1.

I use similar process for trout, but also for bluefish, salmon (I find no need to develop a pellicle), perch, etc. The fresh smoked salmon makes a great rillette.

The underlined points are critical. :D

Another vote for Traeger. Only had a few months but love it.

I’m curious. The wet brown paper doesn’t catch fire and flame out during the grilling process? I guess it doesn’t, but it seems like it still would, even though it’s wet. Are you cooking with direct or indirect flame?
Thanks.

Thanks for the thought. I hadn't decided what to make in the Egg for Independence Day, and I think I'll join you in that endeavour. There's not much better than beef ribs.

I’ve already picked up my beef ribs for Independence Day. It’s just me and DW this year, due to COVID (I think my daughter has it, so she’s persona non grata for the celebration this year).

I’m going to try something different this time around. I’m planning to toss them on the smoker for about 1-1.5 hrs Thursday afternoon, then give them a quick sear, and toss them in the Sous Vide tank for 48 hours. I’ll make a quick sauce from the jus right before serving. I’m thinking they’ll go very well with some mashed potatoes and rocquette salad.

I’m curious. The wet brown paper doesn’t catch fire and flame out during the grilling process? I guess it doesn’t, but it seems like it still would, even though it’s wet. Are you cooking with direct or indirect flame?
Thanks.

When smoking it is indirect, and at low temps (225-250). Paper would be fine.

A lot of folks wrap their meat in butcher paper after it gets enough smoke, and then finish that way (this would be beef or pork, not the fish)

IMG_8085.JPG
Here are some of my beef ribs. Smoked today and eaten tonight. They were so yummy. Happy 4th everyone.

View attachment 35539
Here are some of my beef ribs. Smoked today and eaten tonight. They were so yummy. Happy 4th everyone.

Just catching up on the beef ribs. Bought a 15# pack at Sam's. Cooked 1/2 about 3 weeks ago. We are finishing the last one tonight (one rib feeds both of us).

Used apple wood. That is my go to, and works with just about everything. First time doing the beef ribs, but not the last. Taste and texture about the same as really tender brisket, but a LOT easier to get right.

I will do more, for sure.

Next up is a brisket and pork butt for labor day.

I recently smoked some duck breasts and some sausage. I occasionally order duck from Maple Leaf Farms. I had some duck breasts with and without skin on hand, plus some duck bratwurst that I decided was too boring and thought I’d throw it on the smoker too.

I brined the duck breasts overnight in my usual poultry brine and smoked at 225 with my usual applewood and gourmet pellet blend. It was quite quick, maybe just a bit over an hour. They came out fantastic - tasted like French Magret fumé which is a family fave and almost impossible to find in the US.

The sausage was much improved. The smoking enhanced the herbs in the sausage as well as adding the smoke flavor, and miraculously they didn’t dry out.

This is the easiest way I’ve ever done duck breasts, and the duck breasts with skin rendered little fat, so you got the nice smoked fat as well. The skinless breasts, which were much larger for some reason, came out wonderful too.

Attachments

• 0FAD8E3A-0929-4572-BDDF-94396CD74006.jpeg
    0FAD8E3A-0929-4572-BDDF-94396CD74006.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 291569EC-C37C-463F-B00F-906FCC33F33B.jpeg
    291569EC-C37C-463F-B00F-906FCC33F33B.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I recently smoked some duck breasts and some sausage. I occasionally order duck from Maple Leaf Farms. I had some duck breasts with and without skin on hand, plus some duck bratwurst that I decided was too boring and thought I’d throw it on the smoker too.

I brined the duck breasts overnight in my usual poultry brine and smoked at 225 with my usual applewood and gourmet pellet blend. It was quite quick, maybe just a bit over an hour. They came out fantastic - tasted like French Magret fumé which is a family fave and almost impossible to find in the US.

The sausage was much improved. The smoking enhanced the herbs in the sausage as well as adding the smoke flavor, and miraculously they didn’t dry out.

This is the easiest way I’ve ever done duck breasts, and the duck breasts with skin rendered little fat, so you got the nice smoked fat as well. The skinless breasts, which were much larger for some reason, came out wonderful too.
Does that look good! I been considering getting a smoker for wild game smoking. I bet pheasant would be absolutely wonderful.

The Cookshack is fabulous for electric smokers and you can’t go wrong with it. I had one for about ten years and just gave it to my BIL

I moved to a Weber Grill with a slow n sear, a bbq fan, and a FireBoard for temperature control. I get even more temp control than the Cookshack can provide and get real smoke flavor.

Don’t get me wrong, if you want true set and forget, the Cookshack can’t be beat. For a little more effort (mainly adding water to a reservoir and adding coals) the Weber setup is very close in terms of convenience. I prefer the true wood burning flavor tho

The Cookshack is fabulous for electric smokers and you can’t go wrong with it. I had one for about ten years and just gave it to my BIL

I moved to a Weber Grill with a slow n sear, a bbq fan, and a FireBoard for temperature control. I get even more temp control than the Cookshack can provide and get real smoke flavor.

Don’t get me wrong, if you want true set and forget, the Cookshack can’t be beat. For a little more effort (mainly adding water to a reservoir and adding coals) the Weber setup is very close in terms of convenience. I prefer the true wood burning flavor tho

I have a Cookshack and it's been great! It's the SM025.
https://cookshack.com/collections/r...okette-elite-model-sm025-electric-smoker-oven

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom